Sponsored

Aluminum Differential Carrier

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Those with knowledge and experience with the aluminium differential carrier chime in please.

I'm looking at swapping out my cast iron unit for an aluminum one, as i'm going to be road racing the car (only track days, nothing competitive), and i want to reduce / offset weight. I'm adding a full flat underbelly, and a rear mounted diff and trans cooler, so would like to try and offset the weight of these wherever possible.

However, i have also seen a few failures of these, mainly on high horsepower drag cars.

I have no intention of drag racing the car, other than the occasional traffic light peel out. And never with a tire any more aggressive than say a Michelin Sport Cup 2. I'm not planning big power either, somewhere around the 500 - 525 hp (crank) area.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Sponsored

OP
OP
DB83

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Bump ?????

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
I would not at all be afraid to use an aluminum carrier in the environment you mentioned.
I am currently building an all-aluminum setup for my 16' GT350, along with 4.11 gears.
The failures I have heard about (Broken Ears), were mostly from extreme banging/launching scenario's.
I have had a couple of the alum carriers apart which I closely inspected and have faith that they are very strong indeed, as well as 24 Lbs. lighter than the cast iron carrier.
010-a.jpg

Last edited:

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Vorshlag ran an aluminum rear differential carrier on his track car and it never gave him any issues.