All Season tires vs Summer tires. That is the question

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
How did this thread get so off the rails? The original poster just asked a simple question. OP, I wish your car would have just come with summer tires and then this would have not been posted. OP good luck on whatever tires you chose now and in the future.
Why should this thread be different than any other thread? Going off the rails is what we do. And we do it better than any other forum.
Sponsored

Mo.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mohammed
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Pack
If you would like to enjoy your ride and having fun, I would go with summer tires; otherwise, if you care about milage on your tires, then all seasons work. I have all seasons on mine, but I plan to switch to summer tires since they are way much more fun on the track!

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
1*AZpmCTzFbaZnI8sm7e2Jsg.jpg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
can you point out which cars have summer tires on them? Though for an off-track excursion, this might yield some screams, facial contortions, and mid-air puke worthy of the Ride-Cam. Do you think the guy under the hood with his magnesium bulb flash would be able to capture the full impact?

Hmm, looks like Ford was omitting tow-hooks on their locomotives back then too.

Frank Aldridge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Ford

Sponsored

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
Riddle me this...

I've got a 2.3 2015 with stock 20s which I've always run 275/35/20s square, each of the last two generation Firestone Indy 500s, aside from the 265/35/20 Pirelli PZero summers that came stock. Always ran them yearly, even in winter when roads were not bad...even slowly and cautiously in light snow on some occasions while the tread was still good without anything happening. I also have an 05 Ranger Edge for really nasty winter weather, so keep that in mind.

I'm due for another set of tires and considering that it's just a daily driver, would you go back to summer tires like the Firehawk Indy 500s or General GMax-RS, or try UHP All Seasons like Dunlop Signiture HP(close-out pricing) or General GMax AS-05(most likely)???

Curious if you guys would say "take the better cold temperature performance and better tread-wear, you won't notice anything on city and highway driving amyway vs the summers" or just go with the summers like I always have.

Thoughts?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Riddle me this...

I've got a 2.3 2015 with stock 20s which I've always run 275/35/20s square, each of the last two generation Firestone Indy 500s, aside from the 265/35/20 Pirelli PZero summers that came stock. Always ran them yearly, even in winter when roads were not bad...even slowly and cautiously in light snow on some occasions while the tread was still good without anything happening. I also have an 05 Ranger Edge for really nasty winter weather, so keep that in mind.

I'm due for another set of tires and considering that it's just a daily driver, would you go back to summer tires like the Firehawk Indy 500s or General GMax-RS, or try UHP All Seasons like Dunlop Signiture HP(close-out pricing) or General GMax AS-05(most likely)???

Curious if you guys would say "take the better cold temperature performance and better tread-wear, you won't notice anything on city and highway driving amyway vs the summers" or just go with the summers like I always have.

Thoughts?
How about reading this thread? :facepalm: :like::giggle:

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
How about reading this thread? :facepalm: :like::giggle:
It's like 95% off topic and has little to do with actual discussion of UHP All Seasons vs Summers. You suggesting that I missed something? Please share, as I would love to see some actual info and direct thoughts related to the actual topic or any of the specific tires that I've mentioned.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
It's like 95% off topic and has little to do with actual discussion of UHP All Seasons vs Summers. You suggesting that I missed something? Please share, as I would love to see some actual info and direct thoughts related to the actual topic or any of the specific tires that I've mentioned.
I was kidding. You asked a question that was the actual title of the thread.

To answer your question….If you drive in cold/inclement weather summer tires will eventually bite you in the ass. But that said, you do you. i would either good with dedicated summer/winter tires. Or spend the bucks and get a top tier all season tire. My choice would be the Michelin AS4 but a lot of folks like the Conti’s.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
or General GMax AS-05
I think it's a decent-enough tire. Can be a bit vague in the rain.

Since it's a DD I would stick to A/S. It's not like you can legitimately use the grip of a summer tire on public roads. I know, we like to think we can and like to strut at C&C when doing so...

Certain summer tires are downright scary below 40 (eg. PS4S). Others manage to be still somewhat useful.

IMO Tires is the ONE thing never to cheap out on. It's the ONLY thing controlling the trajectory of a 3800 lb missile with you in it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I think it's a decent-enough tire. Can be a bit vague in the rain.

Since it's a DD I would stick to A/S. It's not like you can legitimately use the grip of a summer tire on public roads. I know, we like to think we can and like to strut at C&C when doing so...

Certain summer tires are downright scary below 40 (eg. PS4S). Others manage to be still somewhat useful.

IMO Tires is the ONE thing never to cheap out on. It's the ONLY thing controlling the trajectory of a 3800 lb missile with you in it.
Nah, the car is more fun with LingLongs since you never know what it's going to do or what ditch you'll end up in. They don't call them ditchfinders for nothing.
Sponsored