Sponsored

Alignment Review

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Lowered on all Steeda bits. I had the shop install the Steeda subframe alignment pieces as well as loosen and re-torque all the bushing parts on the suspension - i.e. "clocking your bushings"

My request was

1.5 neg camber front and rear
1/16 toe front
0 toe rear (ultimately went with 1/16th here too)

The guy who runs the shop convinced me not to muck with the front camber as he felt it was within reason. I probably should have pushed back on that considering I have camber plates. Am I being too OCD?

What do you think?

Machine was wonky. Before is the computer picture. After is the printout.

Still trying to decide if I like the way it is driving right now. Perhaps the before numbers were so effed that I am used to compensating?
IMG_5289.JPG
IMG_5291.JPG
IMG_5287.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
My request was

1/16 toe front
0 toe rear (ultimately went with 1/16th here too)

The guy who runs the shop convinced me not to muck with the front camber as he felt it was within reason. I probably should have pushed back on that considering I have camber plates. Am I being too OCD?
Happened to me I think a few weeks ago when I had mine aligned and I stated how I drive and what I wanted performance wise and they I could trade some tire wear (-camber) to get it, my shop without saying it so many words didn't want the liability of setting anything outside OE spec. Now my car does handle a bit better the way I like to drive it, it had a little push in a high speed corner that is better. But that's what I took from the conversation I had at the time...not willing to go outside of OE spec.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You do want some toe in the rear. It promotes stability. Any shop that won't deviate outside OE specs, I wouldn't give them work.

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I asked for 1.5. What I was meaning was he felt 1.4 and 1.7 were close enough. Obviously for any other car yes but when I go to a specific shop that does race prep and engine builds I figured they were gonna do the right thing.

I’ll find another place in the future. I don’t like excuses or lazy people. Do it right or don’t do it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I asked for 1.5. What I was meaning was he felt 1.4 and 1.7 were close enough. Obviously for any other car yes but when I go to a specific shop that does race prep and engine builds I figured they were gonna do the right thing.

I’ll find another place in the future. I don’t like excuses or lazy people. Do it right or don’t do it.
:cheers:

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Rear camber is a mf’r to get exactly the same. I have done 4 alignments on mine this year, after a few tries messing with rear camber slots, .3 off side to side would be acceptable to me, lol. Especially with that old macine... Fronts easy enough to adjust to get it right. That being said, you put it back on the same rack, and you will get different numbers tommorow.

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
That being said, you put it back on the same rack, and you will get different numbers tommorow.

That is a truth. It's really something that isn't discussed enough. There are so many variables that can affect the readings. I've been through this before with one of my Evo's. Three different shops in one day, all different readings. :frusty:. Most recently I had my Mustang aligned at a shop (yet another shop I was hoping I could trust) that was reluctant to mess with the car due to the camber plates, but they obliged and charged a premium for the job. The car drove straight, and all the read outs were exactly as I specified, but in the end my tires are wrecked in the front so I broke down and bought some toe plates to verify the measurement. Almost a 1/4" toe out on the front. I thought I noticed it when I first picked the car up, but figured it was just my eyes playing tricks on me. Not so. I also noticed that the strut center bolts were not in the same position in the strut mounts, meaning unless something was majorly tweaked in my suspension, camber was different side to side (they read the same on the machine). The point of my rant is that short of a full blown race shop that has experience setting up race cars, I would take all of your alignment readings with a grain of salt. I really want to attempt a DIY alignment with some strings. Seems hokey, but many swear by it. Sorry for the hijack.