Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Probably a stupid question, but what does PP mean? I've seen this acronym used all over the forums and, try as I may, I can't seem to infer its meaning from the context. :blush:
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Or the vacuum gauge.
Yip, just another non critical monitoring device on the car. (SARCASM!) :facepalm: Car and Driver Magazine needs to write more than reviews and print oil and air filter ads in their mags. Apparently that is what many S550 owners reach for rather than a real muscle car magazine or a performance how-to series on engine theory and tuning management or something that would actually educate a person on something more than a skid pad statistic.

Develop a crack in your plastic intake manifold and see how important vacuum monitoring is. We know that this never happens though right? (More sarcasm)

A car with stock cams (even a boosted car on a stock engine) and stock top end should idle at 15 inches of Hg (that's mercury) minimum. Most Coyotes and 4.6L 3 valves will idle between 17 and 20 inches. As idle increases so does the pressure in the engine vacuum decreases with the introduction of atmospheric pressure...IOW the throttle body blade begins to open at throttle command). Begin adding cams (or run a stupid ghost cam idle) and your vacuum is going to read closer to static depending on how much overlap the tuner has generated via VCT to create the cam sound effect. My 2005 idled at 12" Hg after warm up when the cams were added. It idled at 7-9" Hg on cold start.

One of the very first things to look at when idle becomes rough or there is a miss at light throttle is vacuum. But its really not that critical right?

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I know how to use a vacuum gauge. Hook it up and look at the gauge readings chart. Maybe I'm just lucky and have never had any valve, or top end gasket problems. The gauge I have came in a kit from Montgomery Wards along with a tach/dwell meter a very long time ago (~45 yrs).

Yes, wild cams will kill vacuum. Back in the day they used to sell vacuum reservoirs to help run all the vacuum operated accessories if you had a lot of duration. That being said, I doubt I'll ever use the dash mounted vacuum gauge, and would prefer an oil temperature gauge.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
On the EcoBoost the vacuum gauge is also the turbo boost gauge. It's labeled "in. Hg / PSI"

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Probably a stupid question, but what does PP mean? I've seen this acronym used all over the forums and, try as I may, I can't seem to infer its meaning from the context. :blush:
In my case is stands for Power Pack 2. Search for M-9603-M8A.

dg556

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Yip, just another non critical monitoring device on the car. (SARCASM!) :facepalm: Car and Driver Magazine needs to write more than reviews and print oil and air filter ads in their mags. Apparently that is what many S550 owners reach for rather than a real muscle car magazine or a performance how-to series on engine theory and tuning management or something that would actually educate a person on something more than a skid pad statistic.

Develop a crack in your plastic intake manifold and see how important vacuum monitoring is. We know that this never happens though right? (More sarcasm)

A car with stock cams (even a boosted car on a stock engine) and stock top end should idle at 15 inches of Hg (that's mercury) minimum. Most Coyotes and 4.6L 3 valves will idle between 17 and 20 inches. As idle increases so does the pressure in the engine vacuum decreases with the introduction of atmospheric pressure...IOW the throttle body blade begins to open at throttle command). Begin adding cams (or run a stupid ghost cam idle) and your vacuum is going to read closer to static depending on how much overlap the tuner has generated via VCT to create the cam sound effect. My 2005 idled at 12" Hg after warm up when the cams were added. It idled at 7-9" Hg on cold start.

One of the very first things to look at when idle becomes rough or there is a miss at light throttle is vacuum. But its really not that critical right?
My vacuum gage is pinned to 25 in/Hg when at idle, is that way to low?

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
I must be doing something wrong. Mine pegs out at zero when I give it just a little throttle....:cwl:

Sponsored

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
Actually, with E10 fuels, 14.1-14.2:1 is the ideal lambda target. Ford has been calibrating for 14.1-14.2:1 AFR since late 2010.
Mine hits up to 15.1 at idle for a split second at times. I’m still chasing issues with my new car, Ford and my tuner haven’t had any answers it sucks

Rocwandrer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I wish oil temp was displayed as a real temperature, instead of Low, Normal, High. What the hell is "Normal". Useless
Drill down one more level and you get a faux analog gauge which displays meaningful information.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Mine hits up to 15.1 at idle for a split second at times. I’m still chasing issues with my new car, Ford and my tuner haven’t had any answers it sucks
No tune is ever going to be perfect, especially an aftermarket one with fuel modifications. Hitting 15.1 for a split second then going back down is perfectly normal, it will always fluctuate and rarely if ever be constant. That's what the o2 sensors are for.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Drill down one more level and you get a faux analog gauge which displays meaningful information.
Yeah, that's one of the things that bugs me. They have enough data to position the digital needle on the digital gauge, so all they need is a little software to come up with numbers instead of Normal or Cold.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
It's actually helped me. I have long tube headers on my car and have been tuned by lund. I have had zero problems with my car, no hesitations, no codes, nothing. Recently though, my built in AFR gauge has been a static 14. Not moving in the slightest. I believe it's either an exhaust leak or a bad O2 sensor. I wouldn't have even known given the car still runs perfectly.
Well, that's the purpose of the tune; it won't throw codes.
Sponsored