Aggressive convertible spoilers?

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
Unlike @kscoke who had existing holes for a factory wing, I had none (PP1 car), but it's the same method as theirs: 4 screws. Since I was drilling my trunk lid, I matched it to the 4 mounting points on the wing. This was the second PP convertible I added a wing to, and so the drilling this time around wasn't as scary :D

FWIW, I refuse to add any aero components with just 3M tape, I realize I'm not going to be doing 200 on the Autobahn but something about it bothers me.

I used the same technique as my previous wing to determine the hole positions, and this wing came with paper strips for it. I can post some pics, but basically you lightly tape long strips on the wing holes in strips aligned to mounting holes, then position it, then tape down the strips to the car, leaving the hole where the mount on the wing needs to be, positioned on the trunk. Really pretty easy, just a little nerve wracking ...

Oh, I also used a Dremel with a drill bit to create some pilot holes, that gives you a little better fine control vs. a full sized drill motor.
Thanks, brother! I'm not worried about the drilling. I've already drilled the holes for the failed Speedform spoiler. I have to get my car painted due to a tornado that came thru so I'll get the wing painted at the same time. Just can't decide on black or Ruby Red to match the car.
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Thanks, brother! I'm not worried about the drilling. I've already drilled the holes for the failed Speedform spoiler. I have to get my car painted due to a tornado that came thru so I'll get the wing painted at the same time. Just can't decide on black or Ruby Red to match the car.
You know, when I got my BMC, they said matching Orange Fury was difficult (given it's a 3-stage paint), more or less said we suggest black. So that's what I went with, plus I've got a lot of other black on the car (hood vents, wheels, etc.)

However, if I had the option to properly color match, going with the body color would've been tempting - I think Ruby Red is another kind of complex color, so just getting the wing done (especially at a remote shop), I'd be concerned, but since you've getting the whole car done, that's a tough call.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
FWIW, all GT350 wings are black, so if you're kind of following the OEM design, then black is great, plus I see you have black wheels. Shit, either would look good on your ride.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
FWIW, all GT350 wings are black, so if you're kind of following the OEM design, then black is great, plus I see you have black wheels. Shit, either would look good on your ride.
Yeah, I had the Speedform on for a minute and it looked really good, minus the issues, BUT not sure how much I want it to stand out when the top is down. I'm scouring the web for images to hopefully help. I do know I didn't like the black that came on the Speedform. It wasn't "flat black" but it had no depth. I assume it wasn't clear coated and just looked blah and dull.

Sponsored

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
So, I got the spoiler from Ebay, which turns out to be from Wingtech. To be blunt, I'm disappointed in the quality. Firstly, it's bulkier than the speedform and the edges are very rough. The pointy ends, over the fenders, are rough and look like they were molded by a 5 year old with playdoh! I'm hoping the body shop can pretty it up before they paint it. It's heavier than the Speedform as well. It came with some massive screws just screwed into it. The outer ones seem to line up with factory holes but the two center ones are WAY off!! I can't seem to get a break with this whole wing thing!

Beerrun80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
So, I got the spoiler from Ebay, which turns out to be from Wingtech. To be blunt, I'm disappointed in the quality. Firstly, it's bulkier than the speedform and the edges are very rough. The pointy ends, over the fenders, are rough and look like they were molded by a 5 year old with playdoh! I'm hoping the body shop can pretty it up before they paint it. It's heavier than the Speedform as well. It came with some massive screws just screwed into it. The outer ones seem to line up with factory holes but the two center ones are WAY off!! I can't seem to get a break with this whole wing thing!
I got the eBay one too. Didn't fit at all! Already started the return process.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
I got the eBay one too. Didn't fit at all! Already started the return process.
Beerrun, when you say it didn't fit , can you elaborate? I haven't test fit mine since I was waiting for it to be painted.

Beerrun80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Beerrun, when you say it didn't fit , can you elaborate? I haven't test fit mine since I was waiting for it to be painted.
One I got the old spoiler off and mocked up the new one. There was a huge gap on the ends, about a 1/4" on each side. I bolted down one side but there was no way I could get the other. It was almost like I got a fastback spoiler.

Sponsored

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
One I got the old spoiler off and mocked up the new one. There was a huge gap on the ends, about a 1/4" on each side. I bolted down one side but there was no way I could get the other. It was almost like I got a fastback spoiler.
Wow! That DOES sound like the fastback version. That was how my Speedform was that I had to send back. How was the overall quality of yours, except the fit?

Beerrun80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Wow! That DOES sound like the fastback version. That was how my Speedform was that I had to send back. How was the overall quality of yours, except the fit?
Wasn't too bad, only saw a small bubble in the paint, but I also don't have a different spoiler to really compare it to aside from mine

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Wasn't too bad, only saw a small bubble in the paint, but I also don't have a different spoiler to really compare it to aside from mine
Thanks. I just needed to smooth out the outboard edges a little.

Mhanna5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any safe choice for an aggressive spoiler then? The spoiler company seemed like a good choice, but 2 out of 2 people had a bad experience. I've read a ton of bad reviews for BMC. The only other spoiler that looks safe is the Drake Shelby style spoiler. FR3Z-6344210-B2 https://www.cjponyparts.com/drake-m...e8jJ4BpvgoC7UcZSTZ4kAIC0lN75FPB4aAkBxEALw_wcB Anyone use this one? Does it work on a vert?
Sponsored