Sponsored

Aggravating brake squeal with new powerstop z26's

VroomVroom5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Has anyone else experienced the most horrendous ear piercing squealing with powerstop z26's? I put new pads on a few months ago and ever since, if I come to a very slow stop, they let out a bad squeal that sounds like no other. It sounds like someone's playing a hi-pitched sax.

I've researched and heard conflicting information on the pad change procedures, I used new powerstop drilled and slotted rotors, and I have the brembos of course. For the Brembo pad pins, I did not lubricate them since many of the resources said there's no need to, and I only lubricated the pad backing and sides as directed. Do I need to completely take out the brembo pad pins again, lube them and re-lube the pads or is there any easier way?

I also did follow the correct pad break in procedure.
Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
"harmonic resonance"

i know it doesn't seem intuitive at all but its probably the brake pads needing some of this stuff on the back of them. i've bought one bottle in my life and its not anywhere near empty. had it like 20 years :D

1662830814228.png

you can get it at any auto parts store and I use it with every brake job. never a peep. i had a powerstop kit on my cobra, everything was always awesome.

OP
OP
VroomVroom5.0

VroomVroom5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
"harmonic resonance"

i know it doesn't seem intuitive at all but its probably the brake pads needing some of this stuff on the back of them. i've bought one bottle in my life and its not anywhere near empty. had it like 20 years :D

1662830814228.png

you can get it at any auto parts store and I use it with every brake job. never a peep. i had a powerstop kit on my cobra, everything was always awesome.
Alright I'll check this out. I'm assuming I need to clear out the grease on the back of the pad first?

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Has anyone else experienced the most horrendous ear piercing squealing with powerstop z26's? I put new pads on a few months ago and ever since, if I come to a very slow stop, they let out a bad squeal that sounds like no other. It sounds like someone's playing a hi-pitched sax.

I've researched and heard conflicting information on the pad change procedures, I used new powerstop drilled and slotted rotors, and I have the brembos of course. For the Brembo pad pins, I did not lubricate them since many of the resources said there's no need to, and I only lubricated the pad backing and sides as directed. Do I need to completely take out the brembo pad pins again, lube them and re-lube the pads or is there any easier way?

I also did follow the correct pad break in procedure.
Did you use the little packet of silicone brake lube that came with the pads?

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Alright I'll check this out. I'm assuming I need to clear out the grease on the back of the pad first?
when doing brakes you should always lube the sliders and use that read stuff to help the pad stick to the caliper (it goes on the back side). there probably isn't anything on there if you didn't put it there. its not grease, more like glue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
VroomVroom5.0

VroomVroom5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
when doing brakes you should always lube the sliders and use that read stuff to help the pad stick to the caliper (it goes on the back side). there probably isn't anything on there if you didn't put it there. its not grease, more like glue.
Yeah I've always lubed the slider bolts when doing brakes and never had any issues, just this was my first time doing Brembos. I did use the grease packet on the sides and pad backing like other pads, just didn't grease the pins that hold the pads since conflicting information recommended not to. Will definitely grease the pins as well in addition to using the red stuff.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Ed China from “Wheeler Dealer” always used copper grease on the back of new pads to stop squealing.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I use a moly lube made by Mighty brakes.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Ed China from “Wheeler Dealer” always used copper grease on the back of new pads to stop squealing.
its the same concept. just some high temp stuff to sort cushion and glue the pad to the thing it rides on (not the rails it slides on)

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You must have missed adding grease to something, or it's the drilled rotors causing this noise. Although a high pitched squeal is usually the pads and the pistons.

I installed these pads specifically to get rid of the annoying squeals and noises of the stock PP pads and I have been pleasantly surprised about how quiet these are.

Sponsored

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
upgraded to the z26 rotor pad kit, no dust, no noise

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Make sure to transfer the oem shims which are designed to reduce squeal and are not included with Powerstop brake pads. OEM pads have two metal shims per side.
Sponsored