FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The questions I have are anyone running purple drank, or tune+ Adam tune. I have Ford performance tune with the following mods.

CPE front mount street intercooler
CPE charge pipes (HKS cold bov)
CPE intake
Ford performance dirty side catch can (doubt matters)
Roush Resonator delete Y pipe
AWE axle back exhaust

(I do have stock catted downpipes with zero intent to change)

I would probably add a burble tune from Adam or purple if I got a pro tune.

Car runs great. I use 93 octane, (Sams club or costco) and have zero issues. If I was to get a tune from purple drank or tune+ do they tune for only one gas station? ie. 93 from shell. then I get gas from Costco or Sams, will it cause detonation or are they all the same?

Do I HAVE to change stock spark plugs? I like the stock plugs, I don't want to be changing plugs every 10-15k like states on the Adam page. If I can run stock plugs on a protune, and be able to change 50k intervals id be a lot more excited / willing to do this.

If I get a tune for my 93 octane I use 99% of time, if I fill up at 91 octane station, will the 93 tune compensate? or will it blow up? I am more worried about gas station quality variances. If I was to get a tune while I have Sams club fuel, and go to Costco or vice versa, I wouldn't want the tune to go boom.

https://www.tuneplusinc.com/products/ngk6510

How much happier would I be with a protune over ford perf? like 5-10% difference in feel? I still get to keep the modes, wet/track/sport/normal? I actually use them here and there. Will the tune I get made during summer, is it safe for winter? or do I need a winter blend tune or will the ECU simply compensate for different temperatures/fuel blend.

A random question, - access point Cobb tuner. I see several pics of different mounts and they look nice. I would be leaning towards A pillar mount I think. Does the screen turn off while driving? or is there a option to keep it turned off? I wouldn't want a bright screen on unless I wanted it on, like click on it, to wake it up, or disable screen automatically upon turning car on.

Ideally id want the screen on only when I want it, (or do I have to unplug the tuner to make this happen?) I don't really want to pull the tuner out every time though.

How do you guys have them mounted? Pics. (I am very sensitive to light, and have all my lights and everything on the dimmest settings always) so if its non adjustable or always on, id have to keep it unplugged.
Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 7.20.02 PM.png
Sponsored

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
I use Tune+ You will probably want to only use the same gas station continuously.
I would change stock plugs, the stock dont last long, especially with a tune. You dont have to change plugs every 15k, BUT I waited too long one time and the car would knock and pull timing. Changed the plugs, the gap had increased to .30.
Only you can answer if you will happier. I never had the ford tune. Yes you still keep the modes. The tune compensates for temperature change and fuel changes. Adam adds a different modes on your AP so if you do have to fill up with lesser fuel than 93 or whatever you get tuned on you wont blow up.
I believe the AP dims when you dont use it. Its not super bright, I have all my lights dimmed too. Mine is mounted on the AC vent closest to me on the center dash.

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
The questions I have are anyone running purple drank, or tune+ Adam tune. I have Ford performance tune with the following mods.

CPE front mount street intercooler
CPE charge pipes (HKS cold bov)
CPE intake
Ford performance dirty side catch can (doubt matters)
Roush Resonator delete Y pipe
AWE axle back exhaust

(I do have stock catted downpipes with zero intent to change)

I would probably add a burble tune from Adam or purple if I got a pro tune.

Car runs great. I use 93 octane, (Sams club or costco) and have zero issues. If I was to get a tune from purple drank or tune+ do they tune for only one gas station? ie. 93 from shell. then I get gas from Costco or Sams, will it cause detonation or are they all the same?

Do I HAVE to change stock spark plugs? I like the stock plugs, I don't want to be changing plugs every 10-15k like states on the Adam page. If I can run stock plugs on a protune, and be able to change 50k intervals id be a lot more excited / willing to do this.

If I get a tune for my 93 octane I use 99% of time, if I fill up at 91 octane station, will the 93 tune compensate? or will it blow up? I am more worried about gas station quality variances. If I was to get a tune while I have Sams club fuel, and go to Costco or vice versa, I wouldn't want the tune to go boom.

How much happier would I be with a protune over ford perf? like 5-10% difference in feel? I still get to keep the modes, wet/track/sport/normal? I actually use them here and there. Will the tune I get made during summer, is it safe for winter? or do I need a winter blend tune or will the ECU simply compensate for different temperatures/fuel blend.

A random question, - access point Cobb tuner. I see several pics of different mounts and they look nice. I would be leaning towards A pillar mount I think. Does the screen turn off while driving? or is there a option to keep it turned off? I wouldn't want a bright screen on unless I wanted it on, like click on it, to wake it up, or disable screen automatically upon turning car on.

Ideally id want the screen on only when I want it, (or do I have to unplug the tuner to make this happen?) I don't really want to pull the tuner out every time though.

How do you guys have them mounted? Pics. (I am very sensitive to light, and have all my lights and everything on the dimmest settings always) so if its non adjustable or always on, id have to keep it unplugged.
Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 7.20.02 PM.png
Since you helped me out a ton I will help you out a ton as Ive been running my tune for a month or so now and Ive been researching and learning alot.

1. A stock downpipe will definitely restrict you from getting the most power gains out of your tune.
2. Spark plugs are definitely a must after tuning as my car pulled timing multiple times on WOT pulls with stock plugs.
3. If your car is tuned for 93 and you put 91 in it its not the end of the world but it wont perform near the same and you should try
4. I went with PD tuning and there are fail safes in place that really do help you from going boom. (Im sure adam has the same thing)
5. It will feel way different as I looked up numbers from the FP tune and its no comparison lol
6. Cobb accesport has a gauge mode which you should have on at all times to watch for engine knock especially if you are using 91 on a 93 tune
7. Burble tune is AMAZING

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you, this is the info I needed. While I have access to 93 most the time, the idea of only having 91 or so while traveling is scary, I honestly need to check the routes from ohio to Florida, I know from Alaska to ohio there was places for hundreds of miles with just 87 in Canada. but this may not be a concern to Florida or North Carolina which is all I really travel too. Ohio is blessed with 93 though, everywhere that I have ever seen.

What are Married Cobbs and unmarried? I see them for sale periodically in the sale section, if ones married, can I not use it or unlock it for my car? I saw an unmarried go for 350 but im still in the deciding stages and all that.

I worry about gas fuel smell with no cat DP. that is my concern, idling and stinking up my car

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
people who sell married AP's on ebay and such are so greasy. whoever buys a married one has to pay cobb like 80% of the original price to unlock it, while the seller still gets to keep their tune installed.

Sponsored

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Thank you, this is the info I needed. While I have access to 93 most the time, the idea of only having 91 or so while traveling is scary, I honestly need to check the routes from ohio to Florida, I know from Alaska to ohio there was places for hundreds of miles with just 87 in Canada. but this may not be a concern to Florida or North Carolina which is all I really travel too. Ohio is blessed with 93 though, everywhere that I have ever seen.

What are Married Cobbs and unmarried? I see them for sale periodically in the sale section, if ones married, can I not use it or unlock it for my car? I saw an unmarried go for 350 but im still in the deciding stages and all that.

I worry about gas fuel smell with no cat DP. that is my concern, idling and stinking up my car
Married cobbs mean that when you plug it into your vehicle you wont be able to use it as it uses your cars vin. Buying unmarried is sketch as you never know if it actually is or not until you plug it into your car UNLESS you meet with the guy selling it to you I would go with brand new. I live in Florida so I have 93 everywhere and even a lot of e85 stations so its not a problem with me. The blessed thing about the cobb is if you are going on a road trip you can literally down tune your car to stock or back to your FP tune if you want and it takes literally 1 minute to install. Cobb is the shit lol.

As far as DP you will definitely get the smell aftermarket cat or not. But if you really want to run stock GTs its a must for performance, plus the sound of shifting is fucking nuts with it.

Black9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
You might want to check Burger tuning, and go to the FAQ section, I am running an e30 tune at the moment, but am able to quickly change to a different map thru my phone’s Bluetooth,....flexible depending on mods ..Had a conversation before about this option but was bagged on by a few close minded that didn’t care to research this option...is it as good as a custom tune? probably not but it also uses factory failsafes...read

Black9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Good spark plugs, like good oil should be cheap insurance for a great running car, I’m running Motorcraft 542 at the moment...if I remember right they are gapped .026 outta the box.... check

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Also, With an AP3, there is the availability of map slots.
Your tuner can program up to 5 maps that can be changed in the fly with your cruise control buttons.

I have Tune+ plus and have 3 maps: full power 93, economy, and bad gas. Literally takes 3 seconds to change.a map.
Sponsored