Sponsored

Aftermarket Stereo Install/Dash Kit for the S550 (soon)

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
Someone mentioned earlier that you can run any double din you want? The 7" looks to just fit... An 8" unit will fit as well?

I've read this entire thread and I'm not feeling very confident as far as installing a dash kit and head unit goes. Never tried and know virtually nothing about wiring so I'm thinking I should pay someone. lol

As far as hu's go, what would you all suggest with a focus on video and sound quality? I have no use for navigation or Sirius (if it has that ability that's fine but it's not a necessity). I would like to retain the back up camera and swc's and I need to have a mic.

I haven't bought audio equipment in 14 years! Last year I bought some Alpine speakers, subs and amp which I have been waiting to install when the dash kits became available and now it's time. I'm very excited!!!! :D
Sponsored

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
So from what I understand this is one of the 1st Metra units.
20170310_091649edit.jpg
20170310_091801edit.jpg
20170310_091807edit.jpg

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
awful

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I think Im going to cut it up and modify it a bit. I am going to try to get the radio to sit back like the HVAC control. It should be a pretty easy mod but it will need to wait until early summer.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think Im going to cut it up and modify it a bit. I am going to try to get the radio to sit back like the HVAC control. It should be a pretty easy mod but it will need to wait until early summer.
doable if you got the patience and skill, I modded a Scosche 2010-14 dash panel that moved the double din to the top, epoxy, bondo, sand paper, primer and paint, then have have it, all about the clearance behind the head unit

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Honestly, I would vinyl wrap the thing after you are done with the modifications. Paint is extremely difficult to get looking nice on radio bezels and it is very easy to scratch.

mustank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
or get some spray fabric glue and do alcantara with maybe some red accent stitching in places

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I foresee another issue... On the base 4 inch screen the button dividers near the start button are part of the bezel and not separate like on the premium bezel. So unless they included a separate part in the box the base buttons near the start button will have empty space between them.

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I foresee another issue... On the base 4 inch screen the button dividers near the start button are part of the bezel and not separate like on the premium bezel. So unless they included a separate part in the box the base buttons near the start button will have empty space between them.
There is a filler for the lower buttons included in the kit!

I did get the kit installed and you can tell.it is an aftermarket kit! Various parts had to be modified to operate correctly. the supplied mount for the SYNC retention did not work. Anyone that has had the sync module out knows that the mounting holes on both sides are different. the brackets that come with the kit are molded wrong for the right side, left side is correct though.

The HVAC control box also had to be modified. The notch for the locking tabs on the plugs we not located correctly. I had to disassemble the control box to create the correct notches so the plugs would snap in.

The instructions leave alot to be desired in the kit also they appear to be an afterthought that someone had written by an intern at breakfast! You are given part numbers to identify what harness connects to whatever. Only problem is that the harnesses are not numbered or identified! The both plug into the HVAC controller, yet the manual makes no reference to what the controller is. A strictly DIY installer might think of the HVAC controller as the SYNC box and fry something.

The head unit does not.sit well in the dash! I did a Kenwood DNN992, even with the protrusion the head unit sticks out 1/2" there is absolutely no flow with this kit. The plug that fills the void with the traction control, and start buttons is another issue. The spacing is not correct, the traction control and the steering buttons stick horribly.

The HVAC section works fine though you only have 10 setting total for heat or cool. The kit is super easy to set up and program, I think it was programmed within 1 min of firing it up for the 1st time.

Over all I would rate this kit a 3.5 out of 10, this kit is not normal Metra quality.

I will try to get a couple pics up tomorrow, eventually I think I'm just going to modify the kit to hold a tablet though.

Sponsored

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
Wow, so glad I went with the Scosche. It's not perfect but fits in a lot better than the Metra.

JJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550GT
mine turned out sick

Last edited:

Mattwood440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Performance Package
I received my metra kit yesterday and my receiver today. It looks decent. I'll work on it over the weekend and take pics.

IF I decide to wrap it, it will be with 3m di-noc carbon fiber. There are a couple YouTube videos on how to use that stuff, if anyone is curious.

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I received my metra kit yesterday and my receiver today. It looks decent. I'll work on it over the weekend and take pics.

IF I decide to wrap it, it will be with 3m di-noc carbon fiber. There are a couple YouTube videos on how to use that stuff, if anyone is curious.
If you have any questions give me a shout. you will most likely need to make a few minor mods.

bluetail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
JJones What kit did you use that turned out sick ? I have both Kits and would like to use the better kit . I have a Gt350.
Sponsored