Sponsored

Aftermarket shifters and shift effort

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Ever since I got the car I've been wanting to do something with the shifter, but I just can't get over how nice and light the shifting feels with the stock shifter. All my older cars had MGWs or aftermarket shifters and I felt like I got a workout everytime I made a shift.

I would love to get an MGW or Barton, but I don't want to have that again. Does anyone have any suggestions on the shifting effort of these over stock
I initially thought that I would just get the Steeda shift lever which is literally just the stock shifter but shorter so all the mechanisms and stuff were stock. But even that felt much heavier to use. The only other choice I see is the FRPP shifter but then again I don't know if that's the same as stock but shorter.
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
What don’t you like about the stock setup? Maybe a bushing/insert option would make more sense for you.

OP
OP
EFI

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What don’t you like about the stock setup? Maybe a bushing/insert option would make more sense for you.
Shifts are long, and shifter is rather wobbly especially in gear.

I'd like to shorten the shifts a bit an tighten it up. I am thinking of adding the bushing and the FTBR bracket, but that doesn't solve the long throws.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I think shorter shifts are generally going to take more effort due to simple physics. I've got the MGW x-spec standard and the shifts themselves aren't really harder. There's more effort of course to pull it over into the 1-2 gate due to the tighter springs necessary for accuracy with short throws, but....I mean I've done 6-hour drives with it (highway mind you) with no issues, and an hour+ in stop 'n go traffic too. It's not really a concern.

I think the Barton comes with a lighter spring set-up that you can upgrade to stiffer (or other way around I dunno?). I think the Tri-Ax is lighter to work but less precise but also has adjustability. If you're doing a lot of spirited driving and shifting a lot....the weight might be uncomfortable but the accuracy and tight springs means you're going to hit what you're aiming to shift to every time.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I read an article a few years ago when Mazda went through the Miata transmission for a refresh. The article basically said that the lighter the items inside are, the less rotating mass they have, the quicker the synchros can match shaft speeds, and the easier/quicker/smoother it will go into gear. It's partially why the T-56 (And all derivatives) are a bit long and truckish - it is built to handle a lot of torque, so the gear facings are wide, and that means the gears have a lot of inertia because the weight is on the outside of the gear.

Mazda did a bunch of things to lighten the gearbox, but I don't think Ford would touch it with a 10 foot pole because we are so hard on them with or turbos and superchargers.

I have the FTBR bracket, and once you are in gear, it is rock steady, no wiggle. I'm very happy with it. It doesn't change the length of the shifts though. If you just shorten the shaft, you might get what you want. When you start changing the ratio by moving the pivot point, that gets you tons of reduction in shift, but really adds a lot of force on it. And the other thing -- if it's hard for you to push, it is just as hard on the synchros (Since you're basically pushing the shift collar making them do their thing).

Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
I need to get my Ford Performance short shifter, Full Tilt Boogie shifter bracket, and BG fluids in my MT82 to see how it feels.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Ever since I got the car I've been wanting to do something with the shifter, but I just can't get over how nice and light the shifting feels with the stock shifter. All my older cars had MGWs or aftermarket shifters and I felt like I got a workout everytime I made a shift.

I would love to get an MGW or Barton, but I don't want to have that again. Does anyone have any suggestions on the shifting effort of these over stock
I initially thought that I would just get the Steeda shift lever which is literally just the stock shifter but shorter so all the mechanisms and stuff were stock. But even that felt much heavier to use. The only other choice I see is the FRPP shifter but then again I don't know if that's the same as stock but shorter.
All short throw shifters will have more effort because the shifter is shorter so you are reducing your leverage.

Simple physics. That said a weighted shift knob makes a massive difference. Id suggest starting with that and then do a Barton or MGW. Bartons come in 25% throw reduction you can also get them in 15%

I think MGW is similar if you purchase ot direct from their website.

All that said a shifter and knob do help but its still an mt82 its going to feel notch and clunky and be noisy it is what it is... Its not a BMW ZF trans from,the mid 90s...

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I need to get my Ford Performance short shifter, Full Tilt Boogie shifter bracket, and BG fluids in my MT82 to see how it feels.
FYI......I switched my 2014 GT 6-Speed MT82 to BG fluid and it was better than OEM but later I tried Redline DCTF and it was even better for eliminating cold notchy shifts!!

When I got my 2019 car it shifted OK but I changed to Redline DCTF and it feels a lot smoother.....IMHO!!

Either one is better than OEM DCTF......GOOD LUCK!!
Sponsored