Sponsored

Advice on Mods for S550

Lakerspast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550
Hello everyone,

What would you all recommend as the best mods to make on MY2017 Mustang GT which is currently 100% stock other than PS4s fitted all round.

Car is used mainly for drives out as opposed to a daily, no track driving planned at all just UK roads.

Does a H pipe make a real difference to the sound and then does the manufacturer make a difference as well ?

Any advice / recommendations most welcome.

Thanks
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
(Depending on how you drive the car) As a single stand alone mod, I noticed a nice / surprising improvement by the fitment of the Steeda IRS bush supports - they just make the back end feel a lot more predictable / secure feeling.

https://www.steeda.co.uk/products/s...QW3jZZHkHJOTo7FMcmzoO_5f2e-JIriIaAlHpEALw_wcB

If you are unbolting the IRS to fit those, you might as well put these back in :

https://www.steeda.co.uk/products/s...rxDjCjYgdTyO2kEQIq6f5nn2vunZUXWAaArMFEALw_wcB

The dowels offer no performance increase, but they will ensure the subframe is square and that it's position is repeatable after any future rear end work etc

You will likely find both of those items much cheaper in the states or in the classifieds on here - even after postage and potential tax's etc.

The H pipe makes a big (nice) difference on the facelift cars - just seek some opinions from pre facelift owners to see if feedback is similar.

I guess all H pipes will sound very similar - so long as the crossover is full diameter (including the hole, not just what the pipe looks like from the outside ...). I think the only thing that could alter the sound is the position of the crossover - which seems reasonably fixed and consistent across the manufacturers.

Again, Steeda do a nice 304 stainless option (so rust free and long lasting). Steeda's clamps don't have the best reputation, but they are easy to swap out if its a concern to you.

I know that sounds like I'm a Steeda fanboy (and I have quite a lot of their stuff on my car) but I'm not, sometimes quite the opposite - especially when it comes to the quality of their powdercating and the support we get from Steeda UK ...

North Wales I see, I'm quite envious ...

1700131080248.jpeg

WD :like:

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone,

What would you all recommend as the best mods to make on MY2017 Mustang GT which is currently 100% stock other than PS4s fitted all round.

Car is used mainly for drives out as opposed to a daily, no track driving planned at all just UK roads.

Does a H pipe make a real difference to the sound and then does the manufacturer make a difference as well ?

Thanks
What's your budget?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have posted this video before :

But someone has just posted this :

It might help you see why I posted my recommendation (subframe lockouts) above :like:

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Sounds like you have a nice blank canvas to start from. We offer some great performance packages for GT's from mild to wild. From my experience most of the H pipes have a very similar sound depending on the diameter. Some of our most popular entry level bundles would be the 500 and 510 performance packages which were also featured on the popular TV show CAR FIX TV.
The 500 performance bundle greatly enhances the power of GTs which includes a MyCalibrator tuner, our Windstorm severe cold air intake and our Evenflo high flow low temperature thermostat. Our tuners here at Livernois Motorsports developed custom calibrations just for this package with its modified CAI and the low temperature thermostat to get you the best driving experience with great drivabiliy and more power! Now with our new updated tune you get gain's of up to 61hp and 55lbs of torque with this great package.

The 510 package being the next step up also our high flow exhaust system for even further improved performance and sound's excellent to really add that finishing touch. We also have some Black Friday specials coming soon to take advantage of as well. Feel free to give us a call PM or email for more details on our offerings or to place an order as well and we would be happy to help.
https://www.livernoismotorsports.co...gt-5-0l-510-performance-package-not-installed

313-561-5500
[email protected]

Last edited:

MarkM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Best three mods I’ve done

1. H pipe
2. Steeda G trac under brace
3. 5Spurs cup holder arm rest

Nothing hugely expensive but all three make a huge difference to me

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Hello everyone,

Thanks
The H-Pipe would be a great mod to do to the car, enjoy that V8 Engine sound. A catch can for the engine is something small I would highly recommend. Some steeda lowering springs would make the car feel a lot better as well.

OP
OP
Lakerspast

Lakerspast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550
(Depending on how you drive the car) As a single stand alone mod, I noticed a nice / surprising improvement by the fitment of the Steeda IRS bush supports - they just make the back end feel a lot more predictable / secure feeling.

https://www.steeda.co.uk/products/s...QW3jZZHkHJOTo7FMcmzoO_5f2e-JIriIaAlHpEALw_wcB

If you are unbolting the IRS to fit those, you might as well put these back in :

https://www.steeda.co.uk/products/s...rxDjCjYgdTyO2kEQIq6f5nn2vunZUXWAaArMFEALw_wcB

The dowels offer no performance increase, but they will ensure the subframe is square and that it's position is repeatable after any future rear end work etc

You will likely find both of those items much cheaper in the states or in the classifieds on here - even after postage and potential tax's etc.

The H pipe makes a big (nice) difference on the facelift cars - just seek some opinions from pre facelift owners to see if feedback is similar.

I guess all H pipes will sound very similar - so long as the crossover is full diameter (including the hole, not just what the pipe looks like from the outside ...). I think the only thing that could alter the sound is the position of the crossover - which seems reasonably fixed and consistent across the manufacturers.

Again, Steeda do a nice 304 stainless option (so rust free and long lasting). Steeda's clamps don't have the best reputation, but they are easy to swap out if its a concern to you.

I know that sounds like I'm a Steeda fanboy (and I have quite a lot of their stuff on my car) but I'm not, sometimes quite the opposite - especially when it comes to the quality of their powdercating and the support we get from Steeda UK ...

North Wales I see, I'm quite envious ...

1700131080248.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback - yes that North Wales not all of it though ! There is the odd straight road.

RoryS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Vehicle(s)
18 plate pre-FL Ruby Red GT
On a 2017 car (mine is one as well, just on an 18 plate), I'd recommend the steeda rear alignment and bush support kit, steeda clutch spring, steeda shifter support bracket, some lowering springs (Eibach Pros are popular), spacers, anti-roll bars (these seriously make a huge difference), some sort of axle-backs or a catback to give it a bit more V8 spice and maybe a small rear spoiler for a little more aggression at the rear end. An H-pipe works really well by itself on a facelift car but on a pre-facelift by itself it does f*** all. I'd personally recommend starting with some axle-backs as most of the silencing on 2015-17 cars is done by the rear silencers, then if you want a bit more noise add the H-pipe in then. If budget allows though I'd recommend axle-backs and catted long tube headers with a good tune from a reputable tuner because the headers and tune will massively increase low-down torque and make the car much more driveable in day-to-day situations. If you do headers though don't do the H-pipe unless you want to be thoroughly deafened, I've currently got the issue of my car being a bit too loud for my liking on full throttle with the exhaust valves open and I threw my OEM centre silencer away when I did my H-pipe, so now I'm trying to quieten it back down a bit. Mods I've just listed should add some much-needed volume and make it a lot nicer to drive on our roads👍 Other than that, enjoy it!

Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Hello everyone,

Thanks
1. If Manual Steeda Clutch Pedal Spring
2. Steeda IRS braces
3. Steeda Lower Subframe Brace

I like the stock active exhaust as is, but many people replace the resonator with an H pipe or other.

If Manual, the BG Fluid is a game changer.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with @RoryS550, if your budget allows it, then long tube headers and an ECU tune will completely change the way the car drives. My torque increased 40% at 3,000 RPM. If you have headers and hi flow cats then leave in the stock resonator and mufflers. The car will be plenty loud.

OP
OP
Lakerspast

Lakerspast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550
On a 2017 car (mine is one as well, just on an 18 plate), I'd recommend the steeda rear alignment and bush support kit, steeda clutch spring, steeda shifter support bracket, some lowering springs (Eibach Pros are popular), spacers, anti-roll bars (these seriously make a huge difference), some sort of axle-backs or a catback to give it a bit more V8 spice and maybe a small rear spoiler for a little more aggression at the rear end. An H-pipe works really well by itself on a facelift car but on a pre-facelift by itself it does f*** all. I'd personally recommend starting with some axle-backs as most of the silencing on 2015-17 cars is done by the rear silencers, then if you want a bit more noise add the H-pipe in then. If budget allows though I'd recommend axle-backs and catted long tube headers with a good tune from a reputable tuner because the headers and tune will massively increase low-down torque and make the car much more driveable in day-to-day situations. If you do headers though don't do the H-pipe unless you want to be thoroughly deafened, I've currently got the issue of my car being a bit too loud for my liking on full throttle with the exhaust valves open and I threw my OEM centre silencer away when I did my H-pipe, so now I'm trying to quieten it back down a bit. Mods I've just listed should add some much-needed volume and make it a lot nicer to drive on our roads👍 Other than that, enjoy it!
Great feedback - thanks.

Reinforces the view from a number of people that a H pipe alone on a pre-facelift has only a very marginal difference in sound.

MarkM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Great feedback - thanks.

Reinforces the view from a number of people that a H pipe alone on a pre-facelift has only a very marginal difference in sound.
Oh the standard single exit back boxes are terrible and weigh so much! They definitely need junked, literally any others will make it sound better.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
pre facelift models I'd get an Active Exhaust fitted either OEM Ford if you can find one (even a gt350 from the states) or aftermarket one. Get full V8 noise experience with the option to keep it down in own neighbour should that be a consideration. Could easily add the H Pipe to it as well and do it all one go.
Suspension wise, can't help you there at all though it's something i'll be looking to as well since i have weeping rear shocks apparently. Sigh
Sponsored