Sponsored

Advice for Sheared Steeda Differential Bolt

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Hi guys,

I am desperately seeking your advice. Yesterday, I accelerated hard on the street from a roll and the car wheel hopped hard unlike before upon the 1-2 shift. This morning, I peeked underneath to make sure everything was fine, but unfortunately I found a sheared differential bolt stuck inside the differential.

My only suspension mods for the cradle is the BMR CB005, which is still intact and the Steeda Black Differntial Bushing Inserts, which is no longer intact. The rest of my Steeda black differential kit is intact, but as you can see, I have a sheared differential bolt stuck in my differential, a missing black Steeda differential insert and washer. The sheared differential bolt is the driver's side rearmost bolt.

I am seeking advice on how to remove the sheared differential bolt as it is very difficult to access. I fear having to remove the differential from the cradle itself, and I fear re-installing the missing Steeda parts with the possibility of this reoccurring.

Thank you,

Ivan

-----------------------------

Here is a before pic:

Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
What happened to the washer? So the bolt went threw the washer and the washer fell out? Can you get a socket inside? If not maybe you can use a screw extractor.

OP
OP
IvanCRF

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
What happened to the washer? So the bolt went threw the washer and the washer fell out? Can you get a socket inside? If not maybe you can use a screw extractor.
I guess everything fell out when the bolt sheared.

I have the car up on jackstands right now and am posting this picture to see if you guys think a bolt extractor would work with this limited clearance. I've never used a bolt extractor so I appreciate any advice.

I tried using a screwdriver to back the bolt out, but have nothing to grip the bolt surface with because the bolt's sheared surface is so smooth.

OP
OP
IvanCRF

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
After looking at this and thinking about it, I think I have no alternative other than to remove the differential from the cradle.

With the amount of work this entails, I am considering going to all aluminum bushings(not inserts) as solid aluminum bushings should more evenly distribute shear forces at the interface of the cradle mount and the differential mount compared to other methods.

Is there anyone in El Paso that has aluminum bushings? If it doesn't drive me crazy, I might as well install aluminum bushings so I don't risk a failure like this again. If it's too crazy, I'll go back to stock without the inserts.

Perhaps my CB005 paired with aluminum differential bushings would be more reliable.

Fortunately, I did not see any damage to any other parts of my car. I've seen photos of this occuring and damaged halfshaft boots due to the halfshafts boots contacting the subframe.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I have the aluminum bushings, I like them. I will say this though... Mike at Hillbank mentioned to me when he replaced my Steed a k-brace with the BMR brace (I switched them because the Steeda sat too low) that the BMR bolts were far nicer than the Steeda ones. I would not be surprised if the rest of the Steeda bolts weren't as good. Ask Kelly @ BMR for bolt recommendations!

Sponsored

trustyrusty436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Since the bolt is broken there is a good chance that it could be loose and just sitting in there, if you used lock tight it could be more of a problem. If there is nothing left but threads you could possible drill in to the stub and run it through and out the back side of the hole. You will need to take a punch to dimple the center of the bolt face to control the drill bit at the start. Have you taken it to a shop to have it looked at, you may find one that can just remove this and has the tools to do far easier and with less trouble than you trying it. :shrug: If you can line the hole up better an easy-out may work with an extension.

OP
OP
IvanCRF

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
It's got blue Locktite from when I installed it. I forgot about that. Dang. Good advice. Thanks

stasik-a4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
The Only thing i can think is its going to be a long process with out pulling everything out is you get a long centre punch and punch a mark in it.

Then you get a long drill bit also and drill a extraction hole.
extra-long-series-bits-1393.jpg

Then depending on the available space you might need to use right hand angle drill to drill the hole.
DEWALT-DCD740C1-20V-Max-Right-Angle-Drill-Kit.jpg

Then you get a set of screw extractors and tap it in the hole and undo it as per normal way, as you keep undoing it it will bite in more and extract the broken remains of the bolt.
main-qimg-742d3304508d1d1f3ea0ea20bb947f46?convert_to_webp=true.png

TD5AliveManifold-07.jpg

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Depends how much you torqued the bolt and you also used loctite. Bolt extractor worked for me on a bolt that was torqued to 50lbs. But be very careful not to break the bolt excrator because it is made out of a very hard steel and that will make a nightmare to take out.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I have the aluminum bushings, I like them. I will say this though... Mike at Hillbank mentioned to me when he replaced my Steed a k-brace with the BMR brace (I switched them because the Steeda sat too low) that the BMR bolts were far nicer than the Steeda ones. I would not be surprised if the rest of the Steeda bolts weren't as good. Ask Kelly @ BMR for bolt recommendations!

Sorry off topic..

[MENTION=15475]daltron[/MENTION] how do you like the bmr support vs the Steeda? Did you noticed anything different in steering response?

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I did notice a difference either way to be honest. The Steeda just sat too low and scraped everything. The height difference between the ground and the Steeda was less than the height of a GoPro.

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I installed the Steeda Differential kit awhile back and honestly IMHO it is candy store hardware. Steeda did not include the washers so I had to hunt down the correct size which was not available in my search of hardware stores. I did find something close but smaller than what is needed. Steeda also sent me 3 front bushings and one rear. WTF!! Then they sent me the missing parts 4 days later and guess what!!?? The correct bushing was missing. I need to order some good herb from them cause they are smoking the best. I will be ordering another complete kit but it WILL NOT be from Steeda. Ivan, sorry about this malfunction. Your install thread is what got me to buy this kit back in March. I did see a thread where Kelly @ BMR had mentioned upgraded hardware. This shows their attention to their product.

OP
OP
IvanCRF

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I installed the Steeda Differential kit awhile back and honestly IMHO it is candy store hardware. Steeda did not include the washers so I had to hunt down the correct size which was not available in my search of hardware stores. I did find something close but smaller than what is needed. Steeda also sent me 3 front bushings and one rear. WTF!! Then they sent me the missing parts 4 days later and guess what!!?? The correct bushing was missing. I need to order some good herb from them cause they are smoking the best. I will be ordering another complete kit but it WILL NOT be from Steeda. Ivan, sorry about this malfunction. Your install thread is what got me to buy this kit back in March. I did see a thread where Kelly @ BMR had mentioned upgraded hardware. This shows their attention to their product.
Man, this combo sure worked great to kill wheel hop while it lasted. That's why when it hopped yesterday I knew something was very wrong.. My glove compartment even popped open.

I haven't read of other failures with these particular inserts, but this thread might save someone a headache. The bolt seems to have sheared right at the interface of the mounting points. I'm sure my other bolts are compromised due to having to pick up the forces of the failed one.

I need my next setup to last because I don't want to be removing my differential again. That is why I am considering going back to stock bushings.

I will need to take a day off next month because this repair is going to take me a while working alone.

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Man, this combo sure worked great to kill wheel hop while it lasted. That's why when it hopped yesterday I knew something was very wrong.. My glove compartment even popped open.

I haven't read of other failures with these particular inserts, but this thread might save someone a headache. The bolt seems to have sheared right at the interface of the mounting points. I'm sure my other bolts are compromised due to having to pick up the forces of the failed one.

I need my next setup to last because I don't want to be removing my differential again. That is why I am considering going back to stock bushings.

I will need to take a day off next month because this repair is going to take me a while working alone.
Are you S/Cd? I am. And mañana am putting around 60-70 more HP into the engine which goes through the drivetrain of course. I think I am going to drop the whole subframe and go to town with BMR parts. They seem to be more serious about suspension. I am pricing half shafts at moment and would be a good time to knock out all of this. Good luck and keep us informed.

OP
OP
IvanCRF

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
My engine is still stock. At 4000ft and with how hot it is here, I don't imagine I make much power. I've never even taken my car to the strip or dump my clutch. I shift hard from a roll though.

If considering Ford Racing halfshafts, Mike R or Chris out of White Bear Ford in Minnesota will hook you up. They had the best deal I could find after searching for months. They have their subforum on here as they are a sponsor.
Sponsored