Advice for first time Autocross

druby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium, Tripple Yellow
I've got a 15gtpp, stock, and am thinking about trying out the local autocross one of these weekends. A friend of mine said that it would be a good way to learn more about what my car can do. I've never done anything like that, so does anyone have any advice or tips? I've got a manual 6 speed, so I've got to think that at some level I'll be at a slight disadvantage to cars with automatics. Not that I care all that much. Thanks!
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I've got a manual 6 speed, so I've got to think that at some level I'll be at a slight disadvantage to cars with automatics.
For autocross I wouldn't think so. You're pretty much going to be in 2nd gear the entire time so you won't be wasting time shifting compared to autos.

Honestly, there's not much to say. Make sure your car is in good shape and just go out and have fun.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
First step is to sign up for an event in your area and then show up.

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
Inspect your car: no loose articles in the cab. Wheel bearings with no play. torque lug nuts. battery tied down.

Bring a chair, drinks, sunscreen, and a hat. Arrive early so you can ask lots of questions and do the novice walk. Then walk it again, and once more if you have time. Ask about riding with an experienced person or having one ride with you, both is possible.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on which run group you're in, try and get a ride with an experienced autocrosser before your first run. It'll help. Also have someone ride with you first. Navigating the cones can be tricky for newbies. Much of the above is great advice.

Sponsored

GuardDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gaurd GTPP
Ask for instruction, ride with other fast drivers and Let someone fast in a similiar car drive your car and you ride shotgun. You really have to feel the car near the limits to understand how fast you can take the course. Park near the end of grid so you can watch others first. Have fun!

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Walk the course as often as possible and stop every once in awhile and visualize yourself driving through the course.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
as others have mentioned.

Be well prepared for a day in the sun, food and water.

If you're new, show up early and be prepared to stay late. Try to help with setup / teardown.

Make friends, get as many ride-alongs as you can and take an experienced passenger along with your runs. Listen to what they tell you.

Everybody makes a lot of the same mistakes at first. Expect to learn, not win (but try to win).

PRE-Z06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99&'00 FRC
Focus on being smooth with your inputs and build speed as you get familiar with the course/car. It's easy to overdrive the car and harder to unlearn bad habits, Godspeed!

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I've got a 15gtpp, stock, and am thinking about trying out the local autocross one of these weekends. A friend of mine said that it would be a good way to learn more about what my car can do. I've never done anything like that, so does anyone have any advice or tips? I've got a manual 6 speed, so I've got to think that at some level I'll be at a slight disadvantage to cars with automatics. Not that I care all that much. Thanks!
Read novice guides most autocross regions have on their webpages.
Most of the driving advice you won't be able to put to use anyway since you likely are going to be little overwhelmed when everything starts.

I would say two things -

- do not underestimate value of walking the course (mutliple times) and memorizing it. I often see first time novices waiting for a (guided) novice walk which is right before the drivers meeting (no more time left to walk after that) and they get lost on the course.

- try to get as many rides with good drivers as you possibly can - it requires being somewhat outgoing and not everyone has that personality (I don't), but your next run after driving with someone is going to be significantly better. This way your learn from seeing / experiencing, not reading something that you don't really know what it means (not to detract anything from posters above - they're all given excellent advice).

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
When walking the course, learn how the cones are arranged to help guide you through the course - pointers, gates, walls, boxes. If you don't get it, ask another walker. There are two elements arranged in different ways: sweepers and transitions.

You're likely to overdrive the car. So try to feel/listen for loss of traction - that is your threshold. Car cannot go any faster than it can corner. The old adage - go slower to go faster - is good advice. You just have to build up to the threshold.

Most important, have fun.
Sponsored