Sponsored

Advice - Exhaust Resonator Delete

Nick71692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang
I currently have the Roush Axle Back setup and while I love it, I want something a bit more aggressive. Rather than purchasing a new system I am contemplating a resonator delete, either through the Ford Racing X Pipe, or an H-Pipe.

Looking for some feedback on what others have done and their overall thoughts. The FR X-Pipe seems to be expensive compared to some others x pipes I have seen, curious if anyone knows if there is a difference...they look the same on paper.

Thanks
Sponsored

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
X-Pipe will be a bit raspier and H-Pipe a little deeper tone from what I've researched.
I get my Roush installed this afternoon. Personally from what I've read and heard clips of, I'm leaning towards the H-Pipe if I want more sound. I prefer a deeper sound.
I've heard the Roush w/ FR X-pipe. Sounds terrific but very loud.

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
Just posted this in another thread earlier this morning. Hope it helps!:thumbsup:

[...] here's a quick Instagram video of my GT with a Heartthrob H-pipe and the Roush axle-back mufflers. The rumbling sound at idle, cruising and gentle revving is glorious IMO. The sound during a cold start up or under heavy acceleration is MEAN, but in an awesome kinda way. :) Not as raspy sounding as an X-pipe setup. Total cost is just over $700, plus a bit more if you have someone else install it. You'll save about $400-700 over the cost of a full cat-back system.

Here's a couple YouTube videos as well that I found helpful when deciding whether or not I wanted to do the resonator delete for an H-pipe with my Roush axle-backs...

[ame]
[ame]

Yes, it's really THAT loud! :) The MRT H-pipe in the two videos is from CJ Pony Parts and it is stainless steel, so it costs about $100 more than the Heartthrob H-pipe that I got from AmericanMuscle.com, which is "Aluminized steel."

OP
OP

Nick71692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang
thanks guys, I too am definitely a bigger fan of the deep tone. Different videos I have watched can be a bit tough to determine depending on how they are recording...all seem to be loud.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here's a very easy analogy for anyone with a Mustang V8 who is trying to decide between exhaust setups:

H-pipe = NASCAR sound at WOT; rumbly, low exhaust note which resembles old school muscle car. Sounds even better with Long Tube Headers as opposed to stock or "shorty" headers.

X-pipe = Formula F1 sound at WOT (screams); higher exhaust note, can be raspy, poppy or "like back firing" crackles if running with no cats.

It's really personal preference and listening to online sound clips of either does no justice for trying to make a decision. It's best if you can meet up with Fellow Stangers locally to actually hear different exhaust setups in person.

Me personally - on all of my prior V8 Mustangs and including my 94 Cobra, I've always used BBK 1 5/8" Long Tube headers w/ 2.5" collectors, going into a 2.5" BBK off-road catless H-pipe, dumping into 2.5" catback with original Flowmaster 40's. I know some folks don't like FM mufflers, but the sound I get is awesome from the setup. I also had same setup but with Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers - was quiet at idle but at WOT it was crazy loud.

Sponsored

dmxmike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 roush rs2
I loved our roush mufflers until I put on long tubes headers with high flow cats and an x pipe then it was to raspy for me . I got just SLP resonators on it now no mufflers and it's a lot deeper tone . Dmxmike YouTube and there is a small video of it with the full exhaust and roush mufflers.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Eek...that sounds really out of control at higher RPM. Sounds like a true dual no crossover setup from a truck. Low RPM sounds AMAZING though.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
If I were you, I'd get the Solo Performance Mach XV or Thunder exhaust if you like deep tone. I have not heard all there is in exhausts but I haven't noticed much difference between an H and X pipe on this particular engine. Sure the H pipe is a little more thumpy and low but not by that much and the rasp at higher throttle is still there - characteristic of this engine. Either embrace it and have that exotic car sound or get a Solo exhaust, maybe MBRP Race (which isn't raspy, according to the examples I've heard). Some other manufacturer makes a mid-muffler exhaust, which may be how Solo gets no rasp. I have no idea of exhausts are tuned but I have no rasp.

B-52 Jetman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT, Johnny Cash Edition
I currently have the Roush Axle Back setup and while I love it, I want something a bit more aggressive. Rather than purchasing a new system I am contemplating a resonator delete, either through the Ford Racing X Pipe, or an H-Pipe.

Looking for some feedback on what others have done and their overall thoughts. The FR X-Pipe seems to be expensive compared to some others x pipes I have seen, curious if anyone knows if there is a difference...they look the same on paper.

Thanks
You can install any x-pipe & there'll be no difference. I had my local exhaust install a Magnaglow Tru X Pipe & ended up being 1/2 the price of the FR x-pipe.
image.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nick71692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang
are all these H-Pipes, X-Pipes created equal. I saw a corsa one that was a double x-pipe but aside from that they all generally look the same...prices just seem to be all over the place.

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
are all these H-Pipes, X-Pipes created equal. I saw a corsa one that was a double x-pipe but aside from that they all generally look the same...prices just seem to be all over the place.
The price varies mostly based on the materials used from what I've seen. The Heartthrob H-pipe I bought from americanmuscle.com is made from "aluminized steel" and cost me just $150. By comparison, a full stainless steel H- or X-pipe costs about $100 more depending on the brand, but is less prone to corrosion over time.

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
They all serve the same function but not all are created equal. Depends on how much you want good engineering or peace of mind about how well it flows. But realistically they will all be good.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Can't beat how this setup sounds.

Sponsored