Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Easy to get a hellcat for MSRP or less, no one wants them lol.
They are happy to sell them to anyone that walks in with a credit score. Good or bad. That's why there is 0% on them right now for 36.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
How do people not understand basic economics. You want something no one has. Dealers selling cftp 50k over are selling them because someone is willing to pay it.

i paid a lot of money for a new GT500 ford performance front splitter from a supplier, who also bought it over list price To get them.

These cars arent for everyone…..theyre exclusive to be honest.
While largely true, last time I checked Ford was in the business to manufacture cars at a profit. Thus, it would behoove them to build as many of them as there are paying customers willing to spring for them at list price without any bullshit. They're priced high enough to still be exclusive.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It's not the dealers. It's Ford.

Firstly, Ford was creating this nonsense long before the scamdemic wrecked the world economy and supply chains and before any felt chip shortages. They called the CFTP a "golden ticket" for Christ's sake. They INTENTIONALLY choked production numbers.

It doesn't take a doctorate in economics to understand that when there's LIMITED supplies and high demand, vendors will be able to charge elevated prices (and get it).

When the riots were in full swing and people were panic buying firearms, I saw an interview by a local gun shop owner who said "I don't want to charge $3k for a $1k gun, but I can't get replacement supply. That gun I'm selling you off the wall, it's the last I'll see for who knows how long. I'm not trying to rape anyone, I simply can not get any more supply from any of the manufacturers or distributors."

Dealers could try, but would not be successful if they tried to charge ADM on vehicles that are very common. You'd just go down the street to the next dealer and buy one for MSRP or less. But when Ford limits the production, that option goes out the window. The few dealers that have them KNOW they have a very limited product and they know that they can get much higher than MSRP for it (eventually someone with more money than sense or wants it REALLY REALLY bad will pay).

Don't blame the dealers, blame Ford. What's even more madness is that Ford sets the MSRP. They're cutting their own throat by choking supply to the point that dealers are getting above MSRP. They could either set the MSRP higher (and pocket the additional profits instead of the dealer) OR they could make more product and sell way more volume (if people are paying above).

I get the whole "halo car" bullshit, but it makes no sense. GM actually rewards their loyal vette owners by ensuring they get deals BETTER than new buyers.

Now that covid supply disruptions are here and the chip shortages are taking even more of a toll, limited supplies is understandable. But Ford was doing this bullshit INTENTIONALLY before all that.
While largely true, last time I checked Ford was in the business to manufacture cars at a profit. Thus, it would behoove them to build as many of them as there are paying customers willing to spring for them at list price without any bullshit. They're priced high enough to still be exclusive.
Ford makes plenty of Ecoboost’s and GT’s to make a profit. Shelby’s have always had an air of exclusivity to them. No different than any other car manufacturer. That’s why we have “halo” models in the first place.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Easy to get a hellcat for MSRP or less, no one wants them lol.
You're right on target, and also pointing out the differences between a car guy and some slep looking for a deal with 4 wheels and an engine.

The slep will buy whatever the deal brings in any particular market. Never really likes what he's throwing the money down the drain for.

A true enthusiast /car guy goes after what he most likes, and therefore enjoys the ownership a thousand times more.

Sponsored

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30
Funny how people don’t bitch and moan when their used car is worth 25%+ more than it was two years ago. Gosh, did your car’s value adjust to the market? Yeah, it did.

Did the cost of new vehicles overall go up due to market forces? Yeah, it did. Are dealers adding ADMs on top of these MSRP increases on certain models due to low supply, high demand, and people willing to pay them. Yeah, they are.

Funny how people don’t bitch and moan when the value of their home went up 20% over the past couple of years. Did the value of your home adjust to the market? Yeah, it did.

Have builders increased the cost of new homes because of market forces? Yeah, they did.

And guess what , builders are actually factoring in sort of an ADM on certain homes. Example, I live in a new neighborhood with constant new home building. Builders put up model homes. When those homes are built the cost is already factored in and paid. Yet I’ve watched the price of these models adjust up MONTHLY due to the market. They are simply taking advantage of a market and when it’s time for them to sell the home people line up and pay it.

Prices of most everything has gone up, even hookers and blow.

BIGG_RIBB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT Premium
Actually, I went to Hansel Ford this past weekend with the intent to buy this car as they had it advertised for 63K on their website. When they confirmed that the car was still available, we went inside to do the numbers. At that point, the salesperson told me that it was actually supposed to be 10K over MRSP but they would sell it to me for 5K over MSRP. I kind of felt like that was a bait and switch tactic and couldn't bring myself to spend an extra 5K on something that I'm not really getting anything extra for. As someone else mentioned, it's like going in to a car loan upside down. I would rather be patient and place an order for something then to add an additional 5K on car loan. Here is what Hansel Ford had this one listed for last week before they changed the price on me:

-2485026227694796547.png

When I told the salesperson that I was only going to pay the price that the car was advertised for, he replied "Nevermind! They are changing to 15K over sticker. Let me know if anything changes." I just couldn't bring myself to do it as I didn't really want the car bad enough to pay the additional markup.

By the way, here is another M1 close by that is listed for 31K above MSRP:

https://www.henrycurtisford.com/new...aluma-ca-4b0a94d00a0e09a85dcc6c05d8e7417b.htm

Ridiculous!!!

Reactions: jin

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
e replied "Nevermind! They are changing to 15K over sticker. Let me know if anything changes." I just couldn't bring myself to do it
your failure to have a visceral reaction (decking the guy where he stood) is the mushy, cajoling temptation of ownership the dealer/sales droid is counting on. There are enough people with weak constitutions that will bite off on the ask.

Sponsored

BIGG_RIBB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT Premium
your failure to have a visceral reaction (decking the guy where he stood) is the mushy, cajoling temptation of ownership the dealer/sales droid is counting on. There are enough people with weak constitutions that will bite off on the ask.
I know and they can have it. I want to have a good car buying experience and feel like I got a good deal. Not worth walking away feeling like I got screwed!

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...reminds me of the first Harley I bought; a 1996 BadBoy.
The dealer would NOT budge off of MSRP.

Told me "that is the price. If I don't like it; there's the door."
Said; "you think it is priced too high. The next person in will
think it is a deal and buy it."
I had driven 150 miles to buy it, so I left WITH it...................:clap:

(21 new Harleys later, I don't regret any of them)

Bigred911s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Big Red
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Koons Tysons Dodge (VA) was doing 10% off MSRP last I checked if that's a usefully better deal.
Koons has Hellcats at a premium ADM and their advertised price states the below directly form their website today...
What is not included:
Prices do not include tax, tags, title, registration, electronic filing fee and processing fee of $899 in Virginia, $500 in Maryland, and $699 in Delaware.
All prices for new Dodge vehicles do NOT include freight, which is $1,595 for this Charger.

I got a great deal at Chapman for my HC. Only thing extra I pay is a $429 doc fee Unlike Koons ridiculous Doc fees.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Just don’t buy them. It’s the morons that keep paying these prices that inflates the market. American stupidity at its best.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Just don’t buy them. It’s the morons that keep paying these prices that inflates the market. American stupidity at its best.
Maybe you are not in a financial position to buy what you want when you want. I know I’m not. But that doesn’t make those who do morons. It makes them wealthy (or have really good credit). It’s their call, not yours. And by the way ADM’s are not just an American phenomenon. Happens all over the world.
Sponsored