Sponsored

Adding power to get 800hp to the wheels...not possible without a ton of mods?

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
No downside to E85 really. Run a tank or 2 of 93 through every few months to clean everything out but other than that its good stuff. I daily drive my car on it. Your car uses about 30% more than regular gasoline so the cost difference is usually negated with shitty mpg. its really good stuff though, with these high compression motors and boost, the more octane/cooling..the better.
Your car as in your GT? I didn't know we could use it. It says right on the pump that it's not gasoline and should only be used with certain/approved engines. Good to know it's not toxic to the system though.

Thanks
Sponsored

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Your car as in your GT? I didn't know we could use it. It says right on the pump that it's not gasoline and should only be used with certain/approved engines. Good to know it's not toxic to the system though.

Thanks
You need to run a different tune for it as the stoichiometry is different that gasoline. and yes if you put it in your car with the stock tune itll run terribly, if it'll run at all. on boosted applications it usually nets a solid 50-100hp gain (depending on boost level) over 93 octane

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need to run a different tune for it as the stoichiometry is different that gasoline. and yes if you put it in your car with the stock tune itll run terribly, if it'll run at all. on boosted applications it usually nets a solid 50-100hp gain (depending on boost level) over 93 octane
Really?? The 93 was about 70 cents more expensive to! But I'm guessing one big disadvantage if you are set up to run E85 is that you can't run anything else long term. Since I only use top tier locally in my GT, it wouldn't be an issue but on a road trip, depending on the area, it might be.

But it sounds like you're saying it'll take 93 even if tuned for E85. Would the same apply to 91?

Thanks

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Really?? The 93 was about 70 cents more expensive to! But I'm guessing one big disadvantage if you are set up to run E85 is that you can't run anything else long term. Since I only use top tier locally in my GT, it wouldn't be an issue but on a road trip, depending on the area, it might be.

But it sounds like you're saying it'll take 93 even if tuned for E85. Would the same apply to 91?

Thanks

Lund has me setup with a 93 tune and and an e85 tune. I daily drive on the E85 tune and if I go on long trips I get it down to 0 miles to empty, load 93 tune at the pump and then fill it up and its good to go. This works both ways but I would advise not doing any "spirited" driving on that first tank you swapped over to, to make sure its 100% 93 or E85.

I should also add the reason for E85 is that these engines on like about 700ish (gove or take 30hp) on 93. after that youll need race fuel or E85. most go E85 because of how cheap it is.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I looked it up and it seems like a big bracket that I'm guessing shields the transmission or maybe motor itself if the shaft breaks loose....am I getting warm?

After identifying which type of power adder I want and then the specific model I'm (potentially) going with...I'll do a ton of homework to make it as safe as possible. And if I am not confident about it being 99.9999% safe by then I just won't do it. But do any companies offer a warranty against catastrophic failures aside from the device itself? It would just suck to have done everything right and put in the time/money and then have it implode a few minutes or even months after the install.

I know Roush does if you have a Roush certified tech do the install.

On another note I saw that E85 is about 30 cents CHEAPER per gallon than 87 at the local Exxon. There has to be a down side to using it though. I seem to remember if you leave it in a system too long it begins to eat (or maybe gunk up) the hoses. Last I researched it was for my Husqvarna chainsaw a year or two ago. But so long as they keep making it, and something can be done to make sure it doesn't harm the system...seems like an advantage to use it.
Don't fool yourself with being "safe", especially anywhere near 800whp. There is no safe when you mod. Anything could break at any time and it probably won't be covered by any warranty. Roush may have a warranty but I don't think they offer any kits that can make 800whp and there are better superchargers out there IMO.

For example on why I say not to think you'll ever be at a "safe" level. I broke my 6R80 torque converter at 620/501, very rare. Then I got it built up, and I broke it again (!), this time the pump and housing broke, which is nearly unheard of. AND on a street-only car (at 701/560 now).

Thanks
You can run E85 long term as others said just run a tank of 91/93 through once in awhile.

You can have two separate tunes. One for E85 and one for 91, no problems with that.

E85 is a little cheaper but your gas mileage will suck. Depending on how you drive most people get 8-15mpg and you'll have to fill up more often. I'd say it still ends up being more expensive than 91/93 if you're getting 8-10mpg like most of us will the way we drive :D. Personally for me with a long commute, I would have to fill up almost every day using E85 and theres only one station near me... No thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't fool yourself with being "safe", especially anywhere near 800whp. There is no safe when you mod. Anything could break at any time and it probably won't be covered by any warranty. Roush may have a warranty but I don't think they offer any kits that can make 800whp and there are better superchargers out there IMO.

For example on why I say not to think you'll ever be at a "safe" level. I broke my 6R80 torque converter at 620/501, very rare. Then I got it built up, and I broke it again (!), this time the pump and housing broke, which is nearly unheard of. AND on a street-only car (at 701/560 now).

You can run E85 long term as others said just run a tank of 91/93 through once in awhile.

You can have two separate tunes. One for E85 and one for 91, no problems with that.

E85 is a little cheaper but your gas mileage will suck. Depending on how you drive most people get 8-15mpg and you'll have to fill up more often. I'd say it still ends up being more expensive than 91/93 if you're getting 8-10mpg like most of us will the way we drive :D. Personally for me with a long commute, I would have to fill up almost every day using E85 and theres only one station near me... No thanks.
I appreciate you sharing, but it's the horror stories of these "rare" occurrences that make me really skittish about adding power because of how unpredictable they are. I mean for the past year my car has driven like a dream. I can baby it, drive fast, park it for a few months... no issues. So to go from that to the potential for major components to destroy themselves and other parts....again, makes me nervous even with how rarely it happens. Rare or not, once it happens it's not like you're any less screwed because, as you pointed out, no one is going to cover that damage.

On the E85, I see your points. Like I said, I'd probably prefer the 91/93 just because it's at every station.

Thanks!

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate you sharing, but it's the horror stories of these "rare" occurrences that make me really skittish about adding power because of how unpredictable they are. I mean for the past year my car has driven like a dream. I can baby it, drive fast, park it for a few months... no issues. So to go from that to the potential for major components to destroy themselves and other parts....again, makes me nervous even with how rarely it happens. Rare or not, once it happens it's not like you're any less screwed because, as you pointed out, no one is going to cover that damage.

On the E85, I see your points. Like I said, I'd probably prefer the 91/93 just because it's at every station.

Thanks!
Yeah, I can understand that. If you really want to go for big power I would just keep some saved in the bank if things go wrong. It's all part of the game. I've spent a ton of money on mine and I'm in alot of debt for it too lol, but for me it's worth it. There's nothing like having 600+hp. :cheers:

If you stuck with 91 I would strongly suggest methanol injection. I think I mentioned it on another page but it will give you many of the same benefits of E85 without the hassles if it's not easily accessible. 91+meth could still get you near 800whp.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I can understand that. If you really want to go for big power I would just keep some saved in the bank if things go wrong. It's all part of the game. I've spent a ton of money on mine and I'm in alot of debt for it too lol, but for me it's worth it. There's nothing like having 600+hp. :cheers:

If you stuck with 91 I would strongly suggest methanol injection. I think I mentioned it on another page but it will give you many of the same benefits of E85 without the hassles if it's not easily accessible. 91+meth could still get you near 800whp.
I hear you on keeping a reserve budget in mind. But there's a difference between $1k-$2k and $15k-$20k on a car that might only be worth $20k-$25k in 4 years. I wouldn't flinch at a couple grand but a repair that could cost almost the entire value of the car...that's a horse of a different color.

On the 91, I just used that as an example. All the stations around here have 93. But if on a road trip I'm thinking one tank of 91 in a system tuned for 93 wouldn't kill it...but then again, maybe I'm wrong.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Just an FYI if you can’t afford to fix anything that breaks then don’t mod it untill you can. May take longer to get it where you want, but for me personally knowing I can order another motor tomorrow night if I need to is reassuring

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I hear you on keeping a reserve budget in mind. But there's a difference between $1k-$2k and $15k-$20k on a car that might only be worth $20k-$25k in 4 years. I wouldn't flinch at a couple grand but a repair that could cost almost the entire value of the car...that's a horse of a different color.
^ save and buy GT500 with warranty. Or for the impatient, ZL1.

On the 91, I just used that as an example. All the stations around here have 93. But if on a road trip I'm thinking one tank of 91 in a system tuned for 93 wouldn't kill it...but then again, maybe I'm wrong.
Vortech and Roush advertise 91 octane kits. Probably Paxton as well.

Sponsored

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Worst case scenario is the motor blows. New shortblock is 2500, resurface the heads and keep on trucking..and maybe turn the boost down a hair lol

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So here is something else to consider, I only add this because you said you drive fairly mellow at low speeds (non highway) and don't plan on doing any launches. But with big power comes big fun and addicting like they say. My self control is pretty bad, love feeling the power of the car pulling from a stop, add a little chaos into the mix and things happen that I don't expect or know yet. I just got new tires too and man I love the grip and that only amplifies the fun.

Like I said above my drive train is all stock except the blower and I am hopeful it will last this way because I don't take it to the strip. Well just two days ago I kind of realized that might not be good enough of a plan, but time will tell. So here is something I didn't forsee (didn't hurt anything, but realized I could have). I was in a left turn lane about 5-6 cars back at a red light, both of the straight through lanes (to my right were vacant) I knew the turn lane was a quick one and I had wished I was in the straight lanes. Well all the lights turned green and sure enough the turn lane I was in went yellow and it was a sure thing I'd be stuck through another light. So I pulled out into the straight lanes to utilize the green and it turned yellow after I had committed. So whats a guy to do but go WOT and make the yellow. I hit the top of first hear and shifted into second, but do the intersection crown the suspension was hanging a bit and when I caught second gear the tires loaded up on the street and did a good bit of wheel spin and maybe a little hopping. Didn't scare me, but I thought, I bet that's one way to bust driveshafts. Sorry for the long story just trying to say the power can catch you off guard if you are new to it like me.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)

To each their own. For me, I've stopped even thinking about what the car is worth. I don't plan on selling it and it's priceless to me lol. My car was $40k new and I have over $40k of mods in it. :lol:

91 in a car tuned for 93 probably wouldn't kill it, the knock sensors would adjust for it. But I wouldn't rely on that. I'd have a tune for 91 and for 93. Only difference will be less timing on the 91 tune.

So here is something else to consider, I only add this because you said you drive fairly mellow at low speeds (non highway) and don't plan on doing any launches. But with big power comes big fun and addicting like they say. My self control is pretty bad, love feeling the power of the car pulling from a stop, add a little chaos into the mix and things happen that I don't expect or know yet. I just got new tires too and man I love the grip and that only amplifies the fun.

Like I said above my drive train is all stock except the blower and I am hopeful it will last this way because I don't take it to the strip. Well just two days ago I kind of realized that might not be good enough of a plan, but time will tell. So here is something I didn't forsee (didn't hurt anything, but realized I could have). I was in a left turn lane about 5-6 cars back at a red light, both of the straight through lanes (to my right were vacant) I knew the turn lane was a quick one and I had wished I was in the straight lanes. Well all the lights turned green and sure enough the turn lane I was in went yellow and it was a sure thing I'd be stuck through another light. So I pulled out into the straight lanes to utilize the green and it turned yellow after I had committed. So whats a guy to do but go WOT and make the yellow. I hit the top of first hear and shifted into second, but do the intersection crown the suspension was hanging a bit and when I caught second gear the tires loaded up on the street and did a good bit of wheel spin and maybe a little hopping. Didn't scare me, but I thought, I bet that's one way to bust driveshafts. Sorry for the long story just trying to say the power can catch you off guard if you are new to it like me.
WOT in 1st gear with a Procharger?????? Am I missing something? How did you not just go sideways? :lol: :headbonk:

Worst case scenario is the motor blows. New shortblock is 2500, resurface the heads and keep on trucking..and maybe turn the boost down a hair lol
If you can't do all the labor yourself and upgrade parts so that the same thing doesnt happen again.... it's more like $9k and up.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
WOT in 1st gear with a Procharger?????? Am I missing something? How did you not just go sideways? :lol: :headbonk:
Yeah, okay it might not have been WOT, but I am getting better at finding that fine line between spin city and grabbing. Also, really enjoying my 1st set ever of summer performance tires and the warm roads, two weeks ago I swear my traction was about half what it was with the warn out stock a/ts and colder roads. Also, not sure if it's write or wrong but i like leaving all the nannies on, it does help straighten me out for sure when things go haywire. :D

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks!
My question would be where did the 800hp number come from? Some guys have specific times they want to run, or they've had a 700hp in the past and want something faster. However I think most guys are just dyno racing on the net. 600rwp is more power than is really usable without good tires and suspension on the road. I was in a Hellcat last night which makes about 640whp and weighs 4500lbs and I can tell you it's plenty fast!

My point is why not start with a 600whp goal? Leave yourself some room to grow on things like the supercharger/injectors etc and upgrade or replace things as needed.

You still need to accept the potential for some carnage but you won't be pushing the limits as much.
Sponsored