Active Exhaust Enable/Disable Switch - Leave in Track Mode

T123456

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Kona Blue
Just posting about a simple active exhaust disable mod I did for anyone who may have the same desire as me.
Basically what I did was hook up a remote control to the active exhaust fuse using the two items below and in essence created an on/off switch to enable/disable the active exhaust.

I love my Active Exhaust, but only really use two modes: Quiet and Track.
I have quiet mode set to automatically activate in the morning out of courtesy for my neighbors with the cold start. Other than that, it's track mode all day. But every time I get in the car, it defaults to normal mode.

I wanted the ability to disable the active exhaust control, and keep it only in one mode (Track), while still having the ability to use the quiet mode for the mornings.
I saw the AWE SwitchPath remote, but what turned me away from that was that it always starts in quiet mode - so I made my own version!

There are other ways to do this, but instead of cutting wires or running new wires through the car, I made a simple modification to the active exhaust fuse that allows me to enable/disable the active exhaust with a small remote control.

How it's set up:
The fuse extender plugs into the original fuse holder.
The hot wire (12v) from the original fuse holder connects to the new fuse holder, and keeps a fused system downstream.
The wire coming out of the new fuse holder, I cut half way down. The wire coming from the new fuse goes to the Red Wire (Power in) on the remote module, and the White Wire from the remote module goes to the second half of the cut wire, which returns to the original fuse holder and completes the circuit.
All the wires were wrapped neatly together with electrical tape and easily tucked out of the way where they are barely noticeable.

With the remote, when I hit off, it disables the active exhaust and keeps it in whatever mode you last had it in.
When I hit "On", it enables the active exhaust again and works as expected.

I get in, set it to track mode, and the hit "Off" on the remote. Now it's in track mode until I hit "On" on the remote.
I can leave it in track exhaust mode all day and then simply hit "On" on the remote when I get home at night and the quiet mode will activate automatically in the morning.

Fuse extender: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TWXMHRV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
15amp Remote kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQB8O7K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Total Cost: $27 plus a few wire connectors and 15 amp fuse I had laying around.

1623853258054.png

1623853212580.png

Module tucked away behind fuse box - Ran wire out side of fuse box where the main wires come in. Wire is run towards back of fuse box, going under the other wire harnesses to conceal. Module is tucked on the side and fits perfect. It could be tucked down behind the fuse panel to be completely hidden as well if necessary.

Mod2.jpg

Fuse extender comes out towards side of fuse box, and then down and towards the back.
Fuse2.jpg
Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I don't have active exhaust but do you think this will work with drive modes that revert to normal every time you shut the car off?

OP
OP
T123456

T123456

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Kona Blue
Interesting. I don't have active exhaust but do you think this will work with drive modes that revert to normal every time you shut the car off?
No. With this, the car still wants to change the exhaust mode, but it can't because there's no power going to the actual actuator. As soon as you hit the "On" to give it power again, it flips right into whatever exhaust mode the car is telling it to be in.
Drive modes is a setting within the computer itself. The only way to accomplish what you're looking for would be with the SmartTOP module, where you can have it default to last mode used, Sport+, or stock settings by default.

SOAD40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I know this post is over a year old, but I've been trying to figure out a way to do this, so thank you for your post!

Would the process be similar if I wanted a physical switch mounted somewhere inside, rather than a wireless remote? Im assuming the main difference would be running wire all the way through to the cabin?

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
You sir, are a true street warrior. I also have all the extras like active exhaust and magneride and riding around in TRACK mode all day long can cause your kidneys to fall out if you aren't careful. At least around where I live.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Cool fix. I have quiet set to on before 10, and MyMode has my basic settings but in track mode, so two flicks of a switch and I am in track like I want. I know not everyone has MyMode though.

frank3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
21.5 Mustang GT
Hi, thank-you for sharing. This is a clever workaround.
I tried it, using the same parts you used. I could not get it to work, because the there is negative voltage from the one side of the fuse going into the red wire on the relay.
Negative voltage will not provide power to the relay to work.
I have a 2021 (21.5) model GT, so i would not have imagined it would be different yo your car?

SOAD40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I tried it, using the same parts you used. I could not get it to work, because the there is negative voltage from the one side of the fuse going into the red wire on the relay.
I have a 2021 (21.5) model GT, so i would not have imagined it would be different yo your car?
Yeah I haven't tried it yet (waiting on a box of fuses) but I was curious about this too. Wish there was a better picture showing exactly how the connections were made. I feel like I'm missing something.

frank3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
21.5 Mustang GT
Yeah I haven't tried it yet (waiting on a box of fuses) but I was curious about this too. Wish there was a better picture showing exactly how the connections were made. I feel like I'm missing something.
I am now thinking of also running wires to a physical switch. I had a quick look today and could not easily identify enter points into the cabin from engine bay. I will have another look next weekend.
I am thinking physical switch may be better because no need to another remote in the car and no need to replace remote batteries.

SOAD40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I am now thinking of also running wires to a physical switch. I had a quick look today and could not easily identify enter points into the cabin from engine bay. I will have another look next weekend.
I am thinking physical switch may be better because no need to another remote in the car and no need to replace remote batteries.
I was thinking of running it though the hole where the sound tube used to connect to the firewall. I have an aftermarket CAI so I had to remove it anyways

Sponsored

SOAD40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Just tried it out and I got it to work after a few attempts. Did you try flipping the fuse extender the other way? Mine didn't work until I tried that. Also it doesn't fit very snug, so it may just be that it wasn't seated properly?

frank3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
21.5 Mustang GT
Just tried it out and I got it to work after a few attempts. Did you try flipping the fuse extender the other way? Mine didn't work until I tried that. Also it doesn't fit very snug, so it may just be that it wasn't seated properly?
That's awesome. I thought I had flipped it around when I was trying different ways. Maybe I had not.
I will try over the weekend and come back to you.

SOAD40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
That's awesome. I thought I had flipped it around when I was trying different ways. Maybe I had not.
I will try over the weekend and come back to you.
Yeah it works perfect as far as I can tell. Only minor annoyance is that you have to okay the "active exhaust unavailable" message every time you start the car. But it's still less hassle than selecting track mode every time haha

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
Just posting about a simple active exhaust disable mod I did for anyone who may have the same desire as me.
Basically what I did was hook up a remote control to the active exhaust fuse using the two items below and in essence created an on/off switch to enable/disable the active exhaust.

I have quiet mode set to automatically activate in the morning out of courtesy for my neighbors with the cold start. Other than that, it's track mode all day. But every time I get in the car, it defaults to normal mode.

I wanted the ability to disable the active exhaust control, and keep it only in one mode (Track), while still having the ability to use the quiet mode for the mornings.
I saw the AWE SwitchPath remote, but what turned me away from that was that it always starts in quiet mode - so I made my own version!

There are other ways to do this, but instead of cutting wires or running new wires through the car, I made a simple modification to the active exhaust fuse that allows me to enable/disable the active exhaust with a small remote control.

How it's set up:
The fuse extender plugs into the original fuse holder.
The hot wire (12v) from the original fuse holder connects to the new fuse holder, and keeps a fused system downstream.
The wire coming out of the new fuse holder, I cut half way down. The wire coming from the new fuse goes to the Red Wire (Power in) on the remote module, and the White Wire from the remote module goes to the second half of the cut wire, which returns to the original fuse holder and completes the circuit.
All the wires were wrapped neatly together with electrical tape and easily tucked out of the way where they are barely noticeable.

With the remote, when I hit off, it disables the active exhaust and keeps it in whatever mode you last had it in.
When I hit "On", it enables the active exhaust again and works as expected.

I get in, set it to track mode, and the hit "Off" on the remote. Now it's in track mode until I hit "On" on the remote.
I can leave it in track exhaust mode all day and then simply hit "On" on the remote when I get home at night and the quiet mode will activate automatically in the morning.

Fuse extender: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TWXMHRV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
15amp Remote kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQB8O7K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Total Cost: $27 plus a few wire connectors and 15 amp fuse I had laying around.

1623853258054.png

1623853212580.png

Module tucked away behind fuse box - Ran wire out side of fuse box where the main wires come in. Wire is run towards back of fuse box, going under the other wire harnesses to conceal. Module is tucked on the side and fits perfect. It could be tucked down behind the fuse panel to be completely hidden as well if necessary.

Mod2.jpg

Fuse extender comes out towards side of fuse box, and then down and towards the back.
Fuse2.jpg
Good info! The fuse extender is just what I need to get access for wiring in my dashcam and avoid going fully under the dash any time I need access to its wiring.

frank3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
21.5 Mustang GT
Yeah it works perfect as far as I can tell. Only minor annoyance is that you have to okay the "active exhaust unavailable" message every time you start the car. But it's still less hassle than selecting track mode every time haha
No luck from my end. I tried swapping around the fuse and also swapping the red and white wires and i could not get it to work.
I even tried connect the black to ground and disconnecting the black to ground.

Are you able to send me a photo of your wiring?

Also, i managed to get my fuse holder fit snug. All i did was slightly file black plastic around the fuse. See photo.

2022-06-04 08.55.53.jpg
Sponsored