Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Vehicle(s)
1988 Toyota Corolla GT-S, 1999 Toyota Solara V6
First post here.
TLDR;
Can someone please tell me where the front ABS ring is located on the 350?

BACKGROUND: I'm in the design phase for a home built car. I'm planning to use the gen 3 Coyote engine. It's much cheaper to buy a whole car (wrecked in the right way) than to buy an engine and all of the individual parts. So I'm thinking the perfect model, if I can find it, would be an early 2018 GT, preferably with the PP.

Anyway, I'm currently looking at the front spindle/upright. The stock GT won't work well for me because it uses virtual pivots and nothing will be located where I want it. The hub also mounts on a spindle, which would be harder for me to work with. However the GT350R has a bolt on style front hub. This would be much better because I could then design my own upright with the appropriate mating surface for the front GT350 hub.

QUESTION: I've been watching a lot of videos and such to figure this out, but it is not apparent to me where the ABS ring is located on the 350. The GT has a ring on the hub and the sensor comes in from the side. It looks like the 350 has the sensor mounted on the upright behind the hub, so I figured the ring must be a part of the hub but a picture online of a hub from the backside didn't show anything. I'd appreciate some info. A pic would be even better.

Thanks.
Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
First post here.
TLDR;
Can someone please tell me where the front ABS ring is located on the 350?

BACKGROUND: I'm in the design phase for a home built car. I'm planning to use the gen 3 Coyote engine. It's much cheaper to buy a whole car (wrecked in the right way) than to buy an engine and all of the individual parts. So I'm thinking the perfect model, if I can find it, would be an early 2018 GT, preferably with the PP.

Anyway, I'm currently looking at the front spindle/upright. The stock GT won't work well for me because it uses virtual pivots and nothing will be located where I want it. The hub also mounts on a spindle, which would be harder for me to work with. However the GT350R has a bolt on style front hub. This would be much better because I could then design my own upright with the appropriate mating surface for the front GT350 hub.

QUESTION: I've been watching a lot of videos and such to figure this out, but it is not apparent to me where the ABS ring is located on the 350. The GT has a ring on the hub and the sensor comes in from the side. It looks like the 350 has the sensor mounted on the upright behind the hub, so I figured the ring must be a part of the hub but a picture online of a hub from the backside didn't show anything. I'd appreciate some info. A pic would be even better.

Thanks.
It’s imbedded inside the hub on the GT350 & GT500:
image.jpg

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Vehicle(s)
image.jpg
Thank you very much. That tells me I need to use this hub as opposed to a cheaper and shorter hub from another car. I've already checked and the ABS sensor for the GT and the 350 are the same. Is it the brown looking ring at the outside on the back of the hub? Usually it's serrated. Everything in your picture looks smooth.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Looks like it’s in the black ring sealing the bearing. Looks like it has the pattern visible for the little magnets.
1631589718724.png

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Vehicle(s)
image.jpg
Also, if it's not too much trouble, could you tell me how long it is from the back to the mating surface and from the back to the face of the hub where the disc mounts?

Again thanks for the answer. . . and so quick too. :cool:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Vehicle(s)
Looks like it’s in the black ring sealing the bearing. Looks like it has the pattern visible for the little magnets.
1631589718724.png
Yes, excellent. Thank you.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, if it's not too much trouble, could you tell me how long it is from the back to the mating surface and from the back to the face of the hub where the disc mounts?

Again thanks for the answer. . . and so quick too. :cool:
1” Bearing of Back to bearing mount surface
1 11/16” disk mount surface to bearing mount surface
2 11/16” disk mount surface to back of bearing

There is no obvious exciter ring, but it could be behind the black segment as it is rubber.
image.jpg

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you very much. That tells me I need to use this hub as opposed to a cheaper and shorter hub from another car. I've already checked and the ABS sensor for the GT and the 350 are the same. Is it the brown looking ring at the outside on the back of the hub? Usually it's serrated. Everything in your picture looks smooth.
The non-GT350/500 hubs have a step in that 1” mounting area. So each upright has it’s own unique bearing setup. Once you pick an upright, that dictates the hub bearing.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Vehicle(s)
The non-GT350/500 hubs have a step in that 1” mounting area. So each upright has it’s own unique bearing setup. Once you pick an upright, that dictates the hub bearing.
Once again. Thank you for the info. The lack of insult or condescension is especially appreciated.

I'll be building my own upright so I'll handle the steps and clearances accordingly. I'll use the dimensions you gave me to make something preliminary in Fusion 360 and then just adjust them accordingly when I get a part in hand to make things more precise.

Cheers!

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Once again. Thank you for the info. The lack of insult or condescension is especially appreciated.

I'll be building my own upright so I'll handle the steps and clearances accordingly. I'll use the dimensions you gave me to make something preliminary in Fusion 360 and then just adjust them accordingly when I get a part in hand to make things more precise.

Cheers!
Good luck with your build.
Another item to factor in is wheel offset (front to rear). If you plan to go with a square setup (i.e. same front & rear wheels & tires), you should consider using the GT350R or GT500 CFTP hubs with longer studs on the front; then add a 1” spacer to get to the right numbers (or just replace the shorter studs with longer ARP studs). I was lazy and just bought the hubs with the longer studs. That’s why I could show those pix as I have them on the shelf.
Sponsored