Sponsored

A6 "false" shift from 5-6

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering if anybody here has experienced/heard anything about a "phantom" shift happening from 5th to 6th gear.

My car is a 2017 V6 Automatic, so 6 gears. I swapped in a 3.73 Torsen diff and am tuned, I have experienced this issue on tunes from different companies (MPT and AMR, both good for the V6) and with the Forscan gear line updated (to account for the different tire size and gear change from 3.15) or stock. The tuners are aware of the 3.73 gears and stock 3.15 so the tunes should be good too.

Regular driveability is great in gears 1-4 and also no issues in 5 or 6 until I want to go faster than 95ish or 3k RPMs (here's a vid of me at 100 @ 3k trying to downshift). I can ride 4th gear at full throttle until 120ish no problem, but once I go to 5th, it'll shift to 6th on it's own. I call this a phantom shift because the gear indicator will still show 5th until I actually paddle up again then it shows 6th and absolutely nothing changes. After the phantom shift, the RPMs drop significantly (from 5th at 105ish at 4k to "6th" at the same speed but around 3k - here's a vid showing that) and the car won't move out of it's own way really. edit » just want to add that based on what I've seen the transmission ratios for 4th to 6th are 1.14 - .87 - .69, based on that it is a gear shift for the 5-6 I'm describing because 3.2k with a .69 ratio is right under 104 and 4k with .87 is 106.

Anything below 95ish shifting works just fine, I can drop from 6th to 5th to 4th with no issues and go full throttle after that. Happens in D or S. Regular driving at any speed there isn't really any issue aside from some low speed clunking sometimes but I believe that is normal Torsen behavior.

Anybody have any ideas?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Wondering if anybody here has experienced/heard anything about a "phantom" shift happening from 5th to 6th gear.

My car is a 2017 V6 Automatic, so 6 gears. I swapped in a 3.73 Torsen diff and am tuned, I have experienced this issue on tunes from different companies (MPT and AMR, both good for the V6) and with the Forscan gear line updated (to account for the different tire size and gear change from 3.15) or stock. The tuners are aware of the 3.73 gears and stock 3.15 so the tunes should be good too.

Regular driveability is great in gears 1-4 and also no issues in 5 or 6 until I want to go faster than 95ish or 3k RPMs (here's a vid of me at 100 @ 3k trying to downshift). I can ride 4th gear at full throttle until 120ish no problem, but once I go to 5th, it'll shift to 6th on it's own. I call this a phantom shift because the gear indicator will still show 5th until I actually paddle up again then it shows 6th and absolutely nothing changes. After the phantom shift, the RPMs drop significantly (from 5th at 105ish at 4k to "6th" at the same speed but around 3k - here's a vid showing that) and the car won't move out of it's own way really. edit » just want to add that based on what I've seen the transmission ratios for 4th to 6th are 1.14 - .87 - .69, based on that it is a gear shift for the 5-6 I'm describing because 3.2k with a .69 ratio is right under 104 and 4k with .87 is 106.

Anything below 95ish shifting works just fine, I can drop from 6th to 5th to 4th with no issues and go full throttle after that. Happens in D or S. Regular driving at any speed there isn't really any issue aside from some low speed clunking sometimes but I believe that is normal Torsen behavior.

Anybody have any ideas?
couldn’t see anything in the vid, any chance it’s your converter locking up? Also I’ve seen tunes that pull power going to 5th gear to save the trans from the abuse

OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Probably just a tcu limiter protecting the trans.
I'd get that at like 6k+ maybe, but at 3k? Doesn't seem like this is an issue that anyone else really has posted about which sucks for me trying to find out anything more.

couldn’t see anything in the vid, any chance it’s your converter locking up? Also I’ve seen tunes that pull power going to 5th gear to save the trans from the abuse
Are there any other signs/symptoms of the converter locking up? I want to get OUT of the 5th/6th is my issue too, not into.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I know on my stock tune a10 it would shift early @ 6500 past 5th gear.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Sounds like torque converter lock-up, when that happens RPMs drop while in the same gear. It feels like a shift but it's not.

OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like torque converter lock-up, when that happens RPMs drop while in the same gear. It feels like a shift but it's not.
Is it a "normal" thing or something I could try to get warrantied possibly? LIke I said, under normal driving conditions it is perfectly fine so if they're going to take my car for a week to diagnose and do nothing or it can't be rectified without getting a Circle D or something, guess I'll just have to leave it as is. Trying to search for lock up makes it seem like normal behavior for gas savings but figured I'd ask for clarification here.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Is it a "normal" thing or something I could try to get warrantied possibly? LIke I said, under normal driving conditions it is perfectly fine so if they're going to take my car for a week to diagnose and do nothing or it can't be rectified without getting a Circle D or something, guess I'll just have to leave it as is. Trying to search for lock up makes it seem like normal behavior for gas savings but figured I'd ask for clarification here.
It's a normal thing on all torque converter cars since the mid 90s.

Lockup is used for mpg and efficiency while cruising. There are some badass triple disk ones that big boy racers use to lockup at high rpm for but I don't know of any production car with a triple disk that locks up at WOT
Sponsored