A10 lockup judder

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
As the title says. Has anybody experienced a torque converter lockup judder with the A10. You may have had it without realising mind, so here is what happens....

The transmission needs to be properly hot (50 miles plus of driving and preferably some motorway work). Slow to a near stop and then accelerate briskly. At about 40 to 50mph you will feel like you have driven over a rumble strip for about half a second. That is it ! The judder is the torque converter locking up.

Interested to know if anybody else has experienced it ?
Sponsored

myblkshadow19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang
Vehicle Showcase
As the title says. Has anybody experienced a torque converter lockup judder with the A10. You may have had it without realising mind, so here is what happens....

The transmission needs to be properly hot (50 miles plus of driving and preferably some motorway work). Slow to a near stop and then accelerate briskly. At about 40 to 50mph you will feel like you have driven over a rumble strip for about half a second. That is it ! The judder is the torque converter locking up.

Interested to know if anybody else has experienced it ?
1600 miles and no issues other than when the trans comes down through the gears it's a bit jerky.....definitely nothing going up through the gears and this all most all the time is in normal mode

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
I have the shudder in my 2018 GT.

Everytime the converter lock I get it. It's so bad cold or hot. Hot even more obvious!
It's at the dealer, they are changing the converter but it's backorder for a couples of week!

I was starting to think I was the only one having this issue. It's start to happen after my valvebody was change under warranty because of flare shifting issues. At least the vavebody change seem to cure my flaring!

Curious to know if others had the same issue! I have heard of issues with the 10r80 like the valvebody but you are the only one I know that got the converter shudder / rumble on a 2018+.

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I assume in mine it is when the transmission oil is properly hot and hence a little thinner that causes it. It seems the 10R80 is VERY sensitive to gearbox oil and if it was refilled with the wrong oil after the valve body issue that may be causing it in your case?

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I assume in mine it is when the transmission oil is properly hot and hence a little thinner that causes it. It seems the 10R80 is VERY sensitive to gearbox oil and if it was refilled with the wrong oil after the valve body issue that may be causing it in your case?
On the work order it's showing the correct mercon ULV oil !!!

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
No issues with my 2018 at 20K miles in any temperature conditions. My 18 was assembled in late December 2017.

I am familiar with torque converter judder/shudder because our 97 Mustang GT with the 4R70W 4 speed automatic had it at light throttle when the converter locks at roughly 40 mph in that car when the ATF got old. A combination of a tsb trans cooler and fluid replacement when symptoms occur solved the problem in ours (we still drive it at 174K miles).

I assume the 10R80's problem is defective part(s).

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
No issues with my 2018 at 20K miles in any temperature conditions. My 18 was assembled in late December 2017.

I am familiar with torque converter judder/shudder because our 97 Mustang GT with the 4R70W 4 speed automatic had it at light throttle when the converter locks at roughly 40 mph in that car when the ATF got old. A combination of a tsb trans cooler and fluid replacement when symptoms occur solved the problem in ours (we still drive it at 174K miles).

I assume the 10R80's problem is defective part(s).
May just be TADTS

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
May just be TADTS
????
It appears that the problem isn't frequent with the 10 speed which implies part or maybe assembly issues with an otherwise solid product. The problem with our old 97 Mustang's T/C was common for many Fords and was also common with similar transmissions from at least GM if I recall correctly.

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
????
It appears that the problem isn't frequent with the 10 speed which implies part or maybe assembly issues with an otherwise solid product. The problem with our old 97 Mustang's T/C was common for many Fords and was also common with similar transmissions from at least GM if I recall correctly.
They All Do That Sir ! (TADTS)

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They All Do That Sir ! (TADTS)
I understand what you meant but don't understand why you so say that since it seems they don't all do that? Mine certainly doesn't.

Of course knowing me I could simply have missed the joke. :):):)

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Yep I definitely have it.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Mine does this too. Pretty much matches the description....much worse when hot, etc. I thought it might be burned metal plates but I suppose it could be the TCC. The local racing trans builder suggest I try anti-chatter additive but I’m very leery about additives in this new 10r80 design.

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a 'feature' of the 10R80 !
No it's not! If it was Ford would not allowed torque converter replacement under warranty then !!

Mine was really bad do!

Out of 6 2018-2019 here in my neighborhood I am the only car affected by the shudder!

Also my friend is a salesman at ford and got 5 different 2018+ as a demo and none got the issues! Not normal!
Sponsored