bgoods

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6spd
Hi All,

I Purchased my first mustang - 2020 gt pp1 6sp - a few months ago and came across some questions/recommendations. This is my first mustang and muscle car (old car was a 2006 G35 coupe). I love the car's looks, how it drives and the awesome sounds it makes. Plan is to keep the car stock and not interested in tracking it, love cruising and shifting through gears.

Here are a couple of questions I have after reading through the forum.

1. Oil Catch Can, yay or nay? Videos & Research make it look like a good idea but I've never installed them on any previous cars.

2. How often should I check the oil level? I haven't done this other vehicles I've own but I've read some check it often (weekly / monthly) due to oil consumption I'm guessing. It is a daily driver.

3. What causes the engine tick? I just did my first oil change at the dealer at 2k miles, everything sounds good so far.

4. Forescan software, aside from wanting to refer to it as foreskin, what is needed to use it? I have a ODBII / USB cable that connects to my laptop I use for my Tacoma (Techstream software), can this cable be used for Forescan or do I need a different cable/connector?

5. Shifting isn't as smooth between gears consistently. Maybe its me thinking it should be buttery smooth b/w shifts due to it being brand new. Not all the time but does happen often and clunks into first at times. Seen posts about weighted gear knobs and some transmission brace that helps for smother shifts,

Glad to be part of this forum with other enthusiasts and to learn more about our cars.

Cheers!
Sponsored

carpy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I daily drive my '18 GT. Here is my two cents on your questions.

1. I bought one from Ford Performance. Is it necessary, this answer is like religion and politics. I figure if it doesn't do me any good, oh well only out $150.00. If it does what others say, it will save money. Worth the price in my opinion.

2. I haven't had any issues at all with oil consumption being a problem. I have a bit over 20,000 miles on my car and this has not been any type of issue for me at all. I do still check monthly but I think that is more out of habit then anything else, I have never needed to add oil. I do also opt to use full synthetic at oil changes. In the long run I am not getting rid of the car ever so I figure why not.

3. You will hear A LOT of opinions on this one. Ford says nothing is wrong, others say piston slap etc. There are people out there who have had the BBQ, Typewriter Tick or what have you for well over 100,000 miles with no problems. I am not worried.

4. I use Forescan with the OBDII MX bluetooth adapter. It is more of a fun toy than anything else. To take full advantage you need a laptop with the full version.

5. My MT82 has been awesome. I don't know if I am just lucky or what but mine is smooth as can be. I will say the smoothness took about 5,000 miles to get to though.

Have fun with the car, I waited 35 years to get mine and I love driving it everyday. No bad days driving a Mustang.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Here's my $0.02; you get what you pay for...

1. Seems wasteful unless you're going to have your hood up at Cars & Coffee.

2. Your engine holds 10 quarts of oil. You can stand to lose a little. Unless you have an oil puddle under your parking spot or smell oil burning regularly, this is an unnecessary worry.

3. Ticks are caused by worrisome people and YouTubers, mostly. Drive it like you're mad at it.

4. It's FORScan, not Forescan. That should help the visual you have. If you want to change whether or not the car honks at you when you leave the car running when you walk into 7-11 with the key in your pocket, FORScan is for you.

5. My MT82 is fine under normal daily driving situations. Shifts into 2 or 3 at redline can sometimes be dicey, and there is some driveline lash/clunk dropping into first from time to time. It's an imperfect beast made in China.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my $0.02; you get what you pay for...

1. Seems wasteful unless you're going to have your hood up at Cars & Coffee.

2. Your engine holds 10 quarts of oil. You can stand to lose a little. Unless you have an oil puddle under your parking spot or smell oil burning regularly, this is an unnecessary worry.

3. Ticks are caused by worrisome people and YouTubers, mostly. Drive it like you're mad at it.

4. It's FORScan, not Forescan. That should help the visual you have. If you want to change whether or not the car honks at you when you leave the car running when you walk into 7-11 with the key in your pocket, FORScan is for you.

5. My MT82 is fine under normal daily driving situations. Shifts into 2 or 3 at redline can sometimes be dicey, and there is some driveline lash/clunk dropping into first from time to time. It's an imperfect beast made in China.

To add my $0.02 because I daily and track my mustang.

1. It actually works grate take around a table spoon of oil every oil change.

2. Mine is dropping to bottom of the stick for like 5000 km so it's worth taking a look at your oil consumption from time to time you don't want to leave your engine without oil when you are red lining it.

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
1) The oil catch can is not there to catch oil that would be lost. It is there to catch oil and prevent buildup in the intake manifold. Not have a catch can will not affect you in the short run but will affect you down the road when your intake is gummed up. On a coyote, you need one on the passenger side, but not on the driver side unless you are running a supercharger.

2) I check my oil about every 3 – 4 fillups. If I’m at a track, I’ll check it before going on track and after a session before going home.

3) Nobody really knows what causes the tick. A lot of people use additives for it if it shows up. A popular one is Ceratec. Seems to work for many people with the tick. If you get some, do NOT let it sit around lying down as it will leak after a while.

4) I don’t know enough about Forescan to say anything about it.

5) If you check your owner’s manual, it says to not downshift into first above 15 mph. Other than that, notchy shifting can be the transmission or the shifter. Mine is smooth but, if it wasn’t, I’d try a shifter first.

Sponsored

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
The not so smooth gear shifting w/ the 6 speed is pretty par for the course. Gets a little better after its warmed up. The clunk going into 1st at a stand still is apparently normal. Mine does it and will do it in 2nd as well. Most say while at the light, stop sign etc, drop in 2nd before putting in 1st to avoid the clunk. It helps, but Iike I said, mine sometimes does it in 2nd to.

OP
OP

bgoods

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6spd
The not so smooth gear shifting w/ the 6 speed is pretty par for the course. Gets a little better after its warmed up. The clunk going into 1st at a stand still is apparently normal. Mine does it and will do it in 2nd as well. Most say while at the light, stop sign etc, drop in 2nd before putting in 1st to avoid the clunk. It helps, but Iike I said, mine sometimes does it in 2nd to.
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Regarding the shifting, this above does help as its happens as you described. I normally do not downshift to first.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Don’t spend $175-$200 on a catch can, build your own system and save some $$. I bought a universal can off Amazon and maybe have $35 in my setup. Can also came with a dipstick to check level which is handy.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
1) I'll doubt I'll worry with one

2) I only drive about 250-300 miles a month, with 5-6 decent road trips/year. I check all fluids in all vehicles every 2 weeks, just habit. My FordPass app says 73% oil life left, and I have only had the car a month. Right after I got home from the dealer I had to add a quart roughly. Not sure if that is what it used since the last oil change...

3) I think design. Not worried about it

5) I've gotten used to the 6 spd finally, was my first 6spd but not my first manual. It is fine IMO.

Waited 20 years to get my first 5.0 stang, I drive it every day if I can, sometimes like I stole it.
Sponsored