Sponsored

>9000rpm

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Well I can tell you I've seen the tach well beyond the 9K mark.... I was running a half mile event here in Texas 3 weeks ago and went from the top of 3rd at 8250 into 2nd gear.... missed the 3-4 shift. I was staring at the tach too when it happened. It was a horrible feeling. The tires did not lock up - I'm sure the clutch slipped to absorb some of it. It was purely a mechanical over-rev though and no telling what rpm it went too but the engine is fine. I had my 2nd best pass of the day on the next run....
Interesting but means nothing about the durability of the engine at 9k
Sponsored

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
Well I can tell you I've seen the tach well beyond the 9K mark.... I was running a half mile event here in Texas 3 weeks ago and went from the top of 3rd at 8250 into 2nd gear.... missed the 3-4 shift. I was staring at the tach too when it happened. It was a horrible feeling. The tires did not lock up - I'm sure the clutch slipped to absorb some of it. It was purely a mechanical over-rev though and no telling what rpm it went too but the engine is fine. I had my 2nd best pass of the day on the next run....
Very glad it held together, money shifts are murder. I did that on my 06 Civic Si TT car with a 1000 mile new motor, it didn't let go then but it blew a rod through the block less than 500 miles later.

Peter

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Just the thought of that is making my butt hole pucker :eyebulge: You fellas that are tuning these things have some nuts I'll tell ya... I tuned my 6.7 Diesel but no way in Hell I'll be touching this one! It's WAY too new of a design from a manufacturer that doesn't normally produce these types of engines for all that nonsense. We already know the OPG is less than what we should have to begin with. And that's not just the unfortunate folks that have already had a failure. That's ALL OF US :frusty: Unless you changed it out we all have the same shitty gear in there so if you think about it, it's a matter of when and not if it will happen unfortunately. As many that have happened already, Ford should be forced to issue a recall and fix what needs fixin' and NOW :rant:
What does OPG mean?

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)

Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
lifting the rev limiter is in the tune. I would bring it back down to factory. If the engine blows above 8250, and Ford is able to pull data from the ecu about the conditions at the time of failure you are screwed. I believe all newer vehicles are able to have vehicle information retrieved

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
The cool thing about 9000 rpm is when the engine explodes so much stuff blows out the car is lighter for the tow truck driver.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

b12918b5d7aa701984ec8c59640f3767.jpg

OP
OP

VUDUGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350R Shadow Black
That sounds like a TERRIBLE idea. And wouldn't the torque curve drop off like crazy unless the tune was extremely revised. To put into perspective, the GT3 4.0L produces only about 30lb ft torque less than the Voodoo at 7500 - 8200 RPM. Of course that motor keeps on spinning too though.
I just re-dyno'd my car after the headers and didn't have the balls to take it up to the "new" redline. Didn't want to be that guy that blew up a 350 this soon. But even at 8250 I had >500hp available. I also agree that the stock OPG is a big liability with the RPMs this thing can hit. I'll see what Lund says the new rev limiter is set to with his tune and his justification for that.

OP
OP

VUDUGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lifting the rev limiter is in the tune. I would bring it back down to factory. If the engine blows above 8250, and Ford is able to pull data from the ecu about the conditions at the time of failure you are screwed. I believe all newer vehicles are able to have vehicle information retrieved
I'm sure they'd find other reasons to try and void any warranty claim but that's a good idea for those times I'm not watching my tach closely.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
What do you have your shift light set at? I really like that feature.

Sponsored
OP
OP

VUDUGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do you have your shift light set at? I really like that feature.
8250, but I really like the way it is set up in drag mode as opposed to sport (where the lights come together as opposed to just going linearly). It's not intuitive where the bar ends. At least for me.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
8250, but I really like the way it is set up in drag mode as opposed to sport (where the lights come together as opposed to just going linearly). It's not intuitive where the bar ends. At least for me.
+1 to that. my thoughts exactly

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Shadow BLK/Blue Ordered 8/25
You're screwed either way... The newer cars all leave a trace if you flash the ECU even if you flash it back to stock when something happens :headbonk: It's whether or not they want to look for it is the key and with this car I'd almost guarantee they will look for any reason they can find to deny a claim. And as soon as you pop an engine guess where the first place they will look is... The ECU... Best bet at that point is hope you have a mod friendly dealer that will go to bat for you but even then if Ford asks for it, they're going to have to give it to them. Only way around it is a piggyback setup if anyone even makes one for this car yet.

OP
OP

VUDUGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to be clear to everyone, I've hit 9k about 4 times and my car is running flawlessly. I also had an SCT tuner (I think, it was my mechanic's) plugged in during 2 of these and all parameters looked great. But I definitely don't plan on going that high often.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Just to be clear to everyone, I've hit 9k about 4 times and my car is running flawlessly. I also had an SCT tuner (I think, it was my mechanic's) plugged in during 2 of these and all parameters looked great. But I definitely don't plan on going that high often.
:D Interesting but means nothing about the durability(longevity) of the engine at 9k:D
Sponsored