850whp on 91 octane?

Arzane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple Mustang
So currently am running a whipple on my manual 2018 mustang gt. It dynoed 690 at 7000 rpm and it’s limited at 8250 so roughly 700/715 I call it. On 91 octane and a very revised and made tune and it’s maxed at. ill Be honest I don’t know much if not anything about turbos. Would 850 wheel be achievable with twins? I’m looking at hellhorses twin turbo mid engine mount kit or hellions twin turbo sleeper kit. I like the whole idea of hidden turbos etc. Give me your thoughts and opinions down below thanks!! Also e85 is roughly 25 miles away. Is 850 wheel on 91 with a manual 18 possible thanks
Sponsored

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
no its not

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
So currently am running a whipple on my manual 2018 mustang gt. It dynoed 690 at 7000 rpm and it’s limited at 8250 so roughly 700/715 I call it. On 91 octane and a very revised and made tune and it’s maxed at. ill Be honest I don’t know much if not anything about turbos. Would 850 wheel be achievable with twins? I’m looking at hellhorses twin turbo mid engine mount kit or hellions twin turbo sleeper kit. I like the whole idea of hidden turbos etc. Give me your thoughts and opinions down below thanks!! Also e85 is roughly 25 miles away. Is 850 wheel on 91 with a manual 18 possible thanks
You can but why do you need 850whp to go to Wal-Mart...

I see you're considering turbo, that would be the way to do it. With turbos you can control the boost with an electronic boost controller. That combined with a flex fuel tune will mean you can run a low boost setup for daily driving, reliability etc and tune the car to run on 91 octane.

Then to get 850whp you just fill up on e85 and up the boost. The flex fuel tune will automatically sense the higher ethanol content and once it senses over 75% ethanol it will automatically switch maps to run on e and make more power.

Lund Racing has these tunes and I think VMP offers this option as well.

Thats what id do. No point wearing out your motor on daily driving things like traffic etc. It's 2019 Just do a flex fuel tune.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Do you know what is achievable on 91 with a tt setup?
theres no limit to whats possible... VMPs gen 3 supercharger will put down 1000whp on e85 with the right pulleys.

Turbos are just way easier as you just push a button to go from,15 psi to 30psi verses swapping pulleys and belts.

The problem with big turbos is that they shift the powerband to higher up in the RPM range. Also the heat from the turbo themselves wreck havoc on anything surrounding them, with how tightly our engines are packaged that can be an issue to consider. The remote mounted turbo solves this issue but it brings other issues like increased lag, dangers of road debris damaging the turbos, and tracking down boost leaks is a real pain in the ass.

I also think with power levels like that u might as well do rods, pistons, headstuds, oil pump gears, timing gears just to be safe

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Since your engine is 12:1 you actually can get away with a smaller turbo setup and run lower boost. E85 will just allow u to run way more boost.

I personally like smaller quick spooling turbos more. Yes they make less peak power but getting full boost from, 2500rpm makes for a really fun car to drive.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
You can but why do you need 850whp to go to Wal-Mart...

I see you're considering turbo, that would be the way to do it. With turbos you can control the boost with an electronic boost controller. That combined with a flex fuel tune will mean you can run a low boost setup for daily driving, reliability etc and tune the car to run on 91 octane.

Then to get 850whp you just fill up on e85 and up the boost. The flex fuel tune will automatically sense the higher ethanol content and once it senses over 75% ethanol it will automatically switch maps to run on e and make more power.

Lund Racing has these tunes and I think VMP offers this option as well.

Thats what id do. No point wearing out your motor on daily driving things like traffic etc. It's 2019 Just do a flex fuel tune.
I don’t think it’s that simple. You’ll need a return fuel system to run e85. Reguardless of turbos or supercharger. And the whipple could churn out 850 no problem, on e85. With supporting mods. On a side note OP. Your probably maxed out. on your current fuel system. So that’s a big no to 850 on pump gas.

Last edited:

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
Your limit is detonation. Just add a water meth system . It does same as E85.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
HP= (torque x RPM)/ 5252. This is all you need to know. TT/PD/centri/nitrous, pick what ever you want, this applies to it.

91 will limit the amount of torque you can make. This is because cylinder pressure will be limited or you will run into detonation.
But there is another variable in that equation...
You could build the engine to rev very high, say 9000 RPM. If it also allows air to flow well enough at that RPM to make 500ftlb of torque at that RPM. You would see over 850 HP on 91 octane.
Be just a bit more reasonable and rev the engine to 8250RPM, like the Voodoo does, and have it flow well enough to make 550ftlb of torque at that RPM. you would be over 850 HP on 91 octane.
Is 500/550ftlbs of torque a reasonable cap for 91 octane out of a 5.0L? Don't confuse this with peak torque, you need to make this value at the high RPM.

E85/ water;meth/ Octane booster, are all soo much easier, much cheaper as well. Who are you planning on having tune your car? It best to discuss your goals with them. You are basically limited to their ability and knowledge and your wallet.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
There has been success making more than 850 RWHP on 93, however I cannot speak for 91. In the case I reference the compression was dropped to 9.3:1 as I recall. It was a full build on a a 3V TT setup. Plenty went in to making it happen so it was not simply a bolt on job. The car made 1002 at the wheel on 93 IIRC. You're lucky to have what you are making on 91 at 12:1 with the Whipple, assuming you are purely on 91 with no octane booster. A turbo setup may get you closer to your target number due simply to the lack of HP being scavenged to spin the FI device, but I do not see it happening unless of course you go to E-85. That said you may reach close to the same number by going E-85 on the current setup if that is an option, but you are also talking about investing in a whole new fuel system and larger injectors to even begin.

Search S197forum. The guy that had success doing this on 93 is there. I believe his sign in was Jereme or something to that effect. Been a while since I was on there, but the build was extremely in depth and a very large thread.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Arzane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple Mustang
e everyone I fueling wise I’m maxed on the whipple. I just didn’t know if 800-850 would be achievable with the current fuel system and turbos. Just thought turbos could make more power 800-850 with 91 didn’t know the 91 limited the turbos as much.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Uhhh maybe on a dyno with 0W oil, 45F ambient, 120F CHT/cold motor and a single cold pull.
But consistently on the street? Not reasonable and anyone saying otherwise is FOS or claiming BS correction.

To have a reasonable safety margin against detonation, youd need to drop AT LEAST 9.3:1 on 91, or 9.7:1 93 - these would be pulling timign constantly. Just look at the GT500 compression and reliable power output ratings for OEM durability and reliability.
Ideally youd go 8.5:1 and then have more room to advance or retard timing as head temps go up/down with ambient temps and engine load.

Guestimates:
10.4:1 meth spray
11.2:1 meth spray + DI or meth dedicated rail on DI ($$ DI injector change possible + meth fuel cell$$)
11.2:1 E85
12:1 E85 + DI
12:1 91 + 100% Xylene/Toulene on DI rails (+ extra fuel cell$$)

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
e everyone I fueling wise I’m maxed on the whipple. I just didn’t know if 800-850 would be achievable with the current fuel system and turbos. Just thought turbos could make more power 800-850 with 91 didn’t know the 91 limited the turbos as much.
The more air you shove into the engine. The more fuel is required. (More air. More fuel. More horse power) Doesn’t matter what’s doing the shoving. (whipple, turbos, a leaf blower) The cheapest/most reliable way to get to your 800-850hp goal. Is to keep the whipple and just upgrade your fuel system. YOU DONT NEED TO GO TO TURBOS TO REACH YOUR GOAL! Now if your having buyers remorse after installing the Whipple. That sucks for you.
Sponsored