Sponsored

6th Gear

Stuart0202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hey guys,

Been having an issue as of tonight. I cannot engage 6th gear.
Every time I try, I just get grinding and no power.

Not really sure what's happened as it was fine just the other day.
Still only at 2900 miles too.

Thanks for any help
Sponsored

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Can you engage whilst stationary engine off? Can you engage 6th gear stationary engine running?

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
^ This.

Also does it happen at all RPMs? Also do you have a standard shifter? Any different shift knobs etc going on, on the shifter? Is the clutch all the way in?

OP
OP
Stuart0202

Stuart0202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It goes in when the car is off, but it doesn't seem to be sitting right. Same with when the car is on. If I try when driving, it grinds, then pops out

OP
OP
Stuart0202

Stuart0202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have an aftermarket shift knob but thats been on for 2 and a half years and all other gears are fine. Clutch is definitely all the way in.
Tried it at different rpms but same result each time

Sponsored

marzman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Grabber Blue GT
Have you tried double de-clutching? i.e. From 5th to neutral, release clutch, re-engage clutch, move to 6th. Does that improve things?

OP
OP
Stuart0202

Stuart0202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Can't say I've tried the double de-clutching. Will give it a go though.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
I have an aftermarket shift knob but thats been on for 2 and a half years and all other gears are fine. Clutch is definitely all the way in.
Tried it at different rpms but same result each time
Shift knob or shift mechanism? Such as a hirst or something?

Sponsored

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like you have a bent shifter arm, (external) or your 6th synchro hub is buggered?

Perhaps try and force it in by holding the stick and see if it engages? If it doesn’t engage I’m afraid the ‘box is gonna have to come out. If 2nd and fourth are fine it’s probably not your linkage that’s faulty.

If it goes in and pops back out it could just be a detent spring or ball gone.

I assume you have warranty still?

OP
OP
Stuart0202

Stuart0202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It sounds like you have a bent shifter arm, (external) or your 6th synchro hub is buggered?

Perhaps try and force it in by holding the stick and see if it engages? If it doesn’t engage I’m afraid the ‘box is gonna have to come out. If 2nd and fourth are fine it’s probably not your linkage that’s faulty.

If it goes in and pops back out it could just be a detent spring or ball gone.

I assume you have warranty still?
Yeah, when it first happened I tried holding it in place but it was just grinding and wanted to come out.

Luckily I've still got warranty for another 6 months, unfortunately thought, I don't have any faith in my local Ford garage.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like the synchro hub has gone mate. If the synchro ring was gone it would go in with a big shove. I think Ford will replace the ‘box under warranty so really not too much to trust in your dealer, it’s pretty straightforward to swap it out.

Now that these boxes are made in China they do not come apart too easily. They have pressed in spring retainers instead of the old screw in types. I don’t think Ford have produced instructions on how to strip the gearbox anyway?

If it makes you feel any better the box is also used in 2007 on Defenders and Transit vans so there will be rebuild knowledge at gearbox reconditioners in the UK.

One more thing. If you get a new box make sure you get a 2015 on ‘box not the 2018 model. The clever designers at Ford have put cast aluminium forks in the newer boxes and they are breaking. Apparently there is a design fix on the way?

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
Sounds like the synchro hub has gone mate. If the synchro ring was gone it would go in with a big shove. I think Ford will replace the ‘box under warranty so really not too much to trust in your dealer, it’s pretty straightforward to swap it out.

Now that these boxes are made in China they do not come apart too easily. They have pressed in spring retainers instead of the old screw in types. I don’t think Ford have produced instructions on how to strip the gearbox anyway?

If it makes you feel any better the box is also used in 2007 on Defenders and Transit vans so there will be rebuild knowledge at gearbox reconditioners in the UK.

One more thing. If you get a new box make sure you get a 2015 on ‘box not the 2018 model. The clever designers at Ford have put cast aluminium forks in the newer boxes and they are breaking. Apparently there is a design fix on the way?
Take it from me the Ford policy in the UK is to strip and repair and they have procedures in place do that. Yes the externally looks like the one of the transit but the internals are bespoke to the Mustang and not interchangeable. (Although the basic layout as you say is familiar) Parts have to come in from the US and can take some time....

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes not good news on the 2018 manual
Aluminium shift forks breaking
What is wrong with Ford?
Sponsored