6R80 issue please help

ssmustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Took the car to the local track today. On the 3-4 shift the car slowed way down. I was able to limp the car home it currently has 1st 2nd 3rd gear. 4th 5th & 6th are non existent. Could it be the E clutch drum?? Intermediate shaft?
Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Took the car to the local track today. On the 3-4 shift the car slowed way down. I was able to limp the car home it currently has 1st 2nd 3rd gear. 4th 5th & 6th are non existent. Could it be the E clutch drum?? Intermediate shaft?
Intermediate shaft gear sheared off. It will look like this.

Shaft.JPG

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Intermediate shaft gear sheared off. It will look like this.

Shaft.JPG
Curious what it takes to do that? How is the gear attached to the shaft? I’d guess it’s not one piece.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Curious what it takes to do that? How is the gear attached to the shaft? I’d guess it’s not one piece.
It's basically spot welded in reality. A tuner who sets shift pressures too high, will cause them to break much faster as well...... Aftermarket shafts are all 1 piece billet machined.

Here's where you can see the areas where the gear was fused to the shaft.

Break2.JPG

Break1.jpg

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Thanks Cory. I guess it’s just built for stock levels. After seeing that though, if I still had my GT I’d get the upgraded part. Looks like the half shaft issue. OPG, now this. Spot welds no bueno. Thanks again.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks Cory. I guess it’s just built for stock levels. After seeing that though, if I still had my GT I’d get the upgraded part. Looks like the half shaft issue. OPG, now this. Spot welds no bueno. Thanks again.
If its ever apart, do the clutch pack upgrade, billet intermediate shaft, and billet planetary all at once.

OP
OP
ssmustang302

ssmustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Thanks for the pics. When yours broke did you have 1st-3rd gear & lose 4th 5th 6th gear? I was told when that shaft breaks you will only have 1st gear?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the pics. When yours broke did you have 1st-3rd gear & lose 4th 5th 6th gear? I was told when that shaft breaks you will only have 1st gear?
It all depends what else happens when it breaks. Yes, with my shaft failure, 1,2,3 were available. No 4,5,6.
Sponsored