Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Hey guys, I've been pretty inactive for quite some time now with the new business and all, but long story short -- I fell out of love with my car.

Since all of the issues I've had in the past in addition to the transmission replacement a little over a year ago, I've stopped joyriding as much now and have been focused on other things. One of the issues I've been constantly having now though is the alternator failing, over and over and over and over. I get new alternators more frequently than oil changes now.

I've had one dealership replace the alternator three times over the period of 2-3 months. After I moved 20 minutes away, I went to another dealership to have the alternator checked out again and this time an engineer actually flew in. His suggestion after arriving on-site? Replace the alternator again. So a few months ago, the dealership replaced it for the fourth time.

Today I'm dropping it back off, yet again, to have its alternator replaced as well as the AC compressor (for the third time). I'm not confident that whatever the issue is is actually going to be fixed, just as I wasn't the last few times. It's obviously extremely inconvenient for me, especially considering it's my only car, and I've driven just about every rental car on the lots.

I've already went back and forth with Ford for months trying to get my vehicle bought back, but I actually drive my car and it's far out of the original warranty (54k miles now). They rejected the case twice. This is despite me going to the dealership over 24 times in 2 years for warranty services and troubleshooting, starting from the second month of owning the vehicle.

All of that being said -- what suggestions could I provide to the dealership to help expedite troubleshooting and getting this fixed? Has anyone had this repetitive issue and gotten it fixed?
Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I'm assuming the dealer knows how to diagnose the smart charging system. You can't test an alternator alone on these cars, since the alternator voltage is controlled by the PCM and is part of a feedback loop. So you need to use a scope to look at the signals going to and from the alternator like in the video below. Again, I'm assuming that if they even flew an engineer out that he/she would know all about this, but since you asked...

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I would start to look at a lemon law.

5 times is unacceptable. Even twice I would be suspect.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I tried :(

I'm about 90% sure that the reason I don't "qualify" is because of my miles, even though I had issues all throughout my ownership. I mean my service history looks ridiculous.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I missed the mileage for some reason.

Sorry to hear that man.

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Does anyone make an underdrive pulley for the alternator? I know that overspinning the GT500 alternators was an issue.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
What issues are you having exactly?
Battery light comes on?
Surface voltage of battery low when engine is off or on?
Dead battery?
Alternator bearings?

Tell me more please.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
What issues are you having exactly?
Battery light comes on?
Surface voltage of battery low when engine is off or on?
Dead battery?
Alternator bearings?

Tell me more please.
Sure. The light for "charging system service now" comes on repeatedly, randomly. It comes on more when idle than actually driving. There's about a 80% chance it'll come on at a red light or stop sign.

No issues with the car starting or any drivability issues. Haven't changed the battery yet, but it has not died in the 4 alternators that have been on the car. The voltage always looks normal as well.

As far as how I drive the car, I drive it pretty normal I'd say -- some spirited driving from time to time. I don't really drive at high RPMs for long periods of time. The most I'd do is stop sign to stop sign in first gear, which is usually around my office and it's about the length of 6-7 cars and only 3 stop signs. Not sure if that's considered "dangerous" or if that should be tolerable.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
You have a wiring issue in the harness. I literally have replaced / repaired over 12 of these on F250-F550 trucks for the exact same issues.
They are wasting time and money replacing alternators. I’m surprised the dealers can’t figure this out.
It’s an easy diagnosis and repair.

Sure. The light for "charging system service now" comes on repeatedly, randomly. It comes on more when idle than actually driving. There's about a 80% chance it'll come on at a red light or stop sign.

No issues with the car starting or any drivability issues. Haven't changed the battery yet, but it has not died in the 4 alternators that have been on the car. The voltage always looks normal as well.

As far as how I drive the car, I drive it pretty normal I'd say -- some spirited driving from time to time. I don't really drive at high RPMs for long periods of time. The most I'd do is stop sign to stop sign in first gear, which is usually around my office and it's about the length of 6-7 cars and only 3 stop signs. Not sure if that's considered "dangerous" or if that should be tolerable.

Sponsored
OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
You have a wiring issue in the harness. I literally have replaced / repaired over 12 of these on F250-F550 trucks for the exact same issues.
They are wasting time and money replacing alternators. I’m surprised the dealers can’t figure this out.
It’s an easy diagnosis and repair.
That's what everyone was saying the first 3 times too. They finally replaced the harness on the 4th alternator replacement, but the issue still persists unfortunately.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
That's what everyone was saying the first 3 times too. They finally replaced the harness on the 4th alternator replacement, but the issue still persists unfortunately.
Correct. But the harness / wiring GEN terminal to the gauge cluster

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It's the computer that controls the charging system -- there's really no other possible cause especially since the harness was replaced. Depending on if you want to make the trip, I'm willing to bet the guy at South Main Auto (checkout the YouTube channel by the same name) in upstate NY could prove it.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
It's the computer that controls the charging system -- there's really no other possible cause especially since the harness was replaced. Depending on if you want to make the trip, I'm willing to bet the guy at South Main Auto (checkout the YouTube channel by the same name) in upstate NY could prove it.
Correct it does control it. But if the harness is bad or damaged it will throw the dash display. There is more than on wire. It tees off the trunk harness.