bunkmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont have one
Hello, need suggestions on what to take care at a 5 year schedule:
  1. Car - 2018 GT 6-speed manual.
  2. Mileage - 20192
  3. Modifications - replaced resonator with h-pipe.
  4. Maintenance done so far - regular oil change, coolant top up 1 year ago.
  5. Mode - regular driving and autocross, no track use.
Everything else is stock on the car.
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I’m going to be devils advocate here. Sometimes I look at the manual and wonder if anyone does either something extra, better or uses a different product to execute that schedule in the manual. Sending folks to the manual isn’t wrong, but it may deny finding out some good stuff from you guys.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Hello, need suggestions on what to take care at a 5 year schedule:
  1. Car - 2018 GT 6-speed manual.
  2. Mileage - 20192
  3. Modifications - replaced resonator with h-pipe.
  4. Maintenance done so far - regular oil change, coolant top up 1 year ago.
  5. Mode - regular driving and autocross, no track use.
Everything else is stock on the car.
I never believed in those " 20K checkup" where they change your oil and check a bunch of stuff and charge you a fortune.

Keep the oil changed like your doing and if pushing it maybe change the rear end fluid and the transmission fluid.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I never believed in those " 20K checkup" where they change your oil and check a bunch of stuff and charge you a fortune.

Keep the oil changed like your doing and if pushing it maybe change the rear end fluid and the transmission fluid.
They dont check jack shit! LOL back in the day I worked in the lube department at Ford. We just marked off all the new cars as good, maybe just check tires and any visible leaks. Everything else check mark "GOOD" :like:

The only thing in the manual that matters is interval to change engine/trans/diff/coolant fluids etc. The main things.

OP
OP

bunkmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont have one
The Schedule is laid out in your glovebox service book
Yes, I completely understand. From the manual, I need to change the air cabin filter, engine air filter, possibly the coolant (it is at 6 year mark).

However, I have read posts where folks suggest replacing the brake fluid, transmission fluid, etc. at a 5 year mark.

Hence, this post to understand precisely what do I need to change. Obviously I don't want to throw away my money by unnecessarily changing things but I don't want to under maintain either.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Coolant you definitely want to change for the new Motorcraft Yellow formula, it's simply better so it's worth the small cost.

Brake fluid is a maybe, some people swear by changing it every 5 years but I'm personally of the mindset to replace it when it starts discoloring substantially. It slowly makes its way from a clear yellow to a dark brown as it ages out.

Trans fluid and diff fluid? Not a terrible idea to get break in metals shavings out.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
However, I have read posts where folks suggest replacing the brake fluid, transmission fluid, etc. at a 5 year mark.
You should have changed your brake fluid much sooner, it's a 2 year interval and it's better to follow it because it picks up a lot of moisture.
You don't want moisture in there because it makes it more corrosive and at extremely high concentrations it can vapor lock your brakes.

Cabin filter is every two years as well but I change mine every year regardless of mileage, on a well kept car you can definitely feel the "fresh filter breeze".

I do my gearboxes and differentials every 5 years/50.000Km whichever comes first, and I ignore the service manuals for this item (that usually states to forget about it or extremely long intervals). None of the cars that are maintained by me have ever broke a transmission, call it luck....
Sponsored