Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Post on SVTP:
http://www.svt performance.com/forums/showthread.php?1101468-VooDoo-Blows-up

(remove the space in the link above)

No info yet, other than the car had ~110 miles on it and the dealer is getting a new engine ASAP. Will be very interested in hearing what the root cause is. Best wishes to the owner.

-T
Sponsored

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I just saw it on Youtube. Never even been to the SVT forum but I figured someone here may know whos car it was.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
from the svt link:

I drove it hard from the time i left the dealer but you know you have to get used to that much RPM and i was short shifting all the time. maybe 7500 max. i set the holographic tach to 8000RPM and never seen red come up on the heads up display. The lead tech said a rod or piston broke.

impressive :clap2:

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
from the svt link:

I drove it hard from the time i left the dealer but you know you have to get used to that much RPM and i was short shifting all the time. maybe 7500 max. i set the holographic tach to 8000RPM and never seen red come up on the heads up display. The lead tech said a rod or piston broke.

Yup - Must of won a raffle.

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
from the svt link:

:headbonk::frusty: Why!? Is it that hard to run the proper break in procedure!?

Thanks for getting that btw!

Sponsored

NotBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (Base)
How the hell are you going to sit there and run an engine that's knocking that bad. Fks sake.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
How the hell are you going to sit there and run an engine that's knocking that bad. Fks sake.
doesn't matter. Motor is cooked

Ford should program the computer to encourage a proper break-in. Anything over 5000 RPM with < 100 miles, and the computer flashes the display red and says "bad dog! "

:lol:
baddog.jpg

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Well, obviously homie doesn't have a light bulb in the upstairs closet.

That's akin to running a thoroughbred hard right after waking up and then when the horse fails, you keep whipping it cause it ain't running as fast. Smh.

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
It's a real shame cars like this go to owners like that. There are plenty of people here that are trying so hard to find one and people like this end up with them. I'm all for beating the snot out of the car because it can take it but only after it is properly broken in. Oh well "stupid is as stupid does."

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
That's rod knock. Really bad rod knock, almost as if the connecting rod or piston broke at the wrist pin

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You guys have sure reached a lot of premature conclusions.

Was it a good idea for him to drive it the way he did and then state it in writing on a public forum? No on both counts. But until the root cause is determined by studying the actual failed hardware as well as any available data, your assumptions are mere speculation. There have been two transmission related failures to date that I'm aware of and if this engine was either incorrectly machined/assembled or the failure was due to a defective part, I'd like to know just as much as the next guy. Sadly, I suspect Ford will be as tight lipped about this engine issue as they were with the transmissions.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Engine shouldn't pop that soon. Proper break in or not. Not even 200 miles? Sounds like the engine came with some extra machining bits of loving that shouldn't have been there. I'd like to know who built his engine.

EDIT: Just to clarify on proper break in. It's always a good idea to break in the engine for durability and life. But at 200 miles, no production engine should pop. Regardless of how it was driven. With the complex ECUs we see today and all types of sensors, there is literally no reason for anything like this to happen on a stock engine. The ECU should pull timing and go into a limp mode if repeated knock is coming through the sensors if the engine development was done properly. That's why I'm thinking it was a poor build with machining bits in it.

Last edited:

needspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Challenger Hellcat - Tored
People can be funny but that's ok

Just to take any heat off the OP. I offer myself as a sacrificial lamb of an undeserving owner of a GT350 whose car broke on day 2 with 53 miles.

Guess what, Ford was more than happy to fix my car and even make 1 months payment for the loss of use of my car for 4 weeks.

As the Ford tech who came to authorize a new motor said I had nothing to do with the failure even with the following video right off the truck warmed up with 5 miles on the odo ......Steve

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]bY6u8Qu14ok[/MEDIA]"]

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Just to take any heat off the OP. I offer myself as a sacrificial lamb of an undeserving owner of a GT350 whose car broke on day 2 with 53 miles.

Guess what, Ford was more than happy to fix my car and even make 1 months payment for the loss of use of my car for 4 weeks.

As the Ford tech who came to authorize a new motor said I had nothing to do with the failure even with the following video......Steve

If I offended you in anyway I do apologize. I just think in a different way when it comes to cars is all especially breaking them in. If you can afford the car then you deserve it by all means. If it seems like I came off saying that those that don't do things by the book then they don't deserve the car I assure you that was not at all what I meant. :cheers:

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's a real shame cars like this go to owners like that. There are plenty of people here that are trying so hard to find one and people like this end up with them. I'm all for beating the snot out of the car because it can take it but only after it is properly broken in. Oh well "stupid is as stupid does."
Really pretentious thing to say. Driving it a bit harder than most should not lead to catastrophic failure at any time, period. Has nothing to do with stupidity and isnt a shame at al. Some like to really play with their toys
Sponsored