Sponsored

5.0 GT Performance Package

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
The first order lists that came out, showed that in the 5.0 GT Performance Package there is an upsized rear sway bar. A recent post today on this forum, showing a Dealer Packaging list, showed two addional items in the 5.0 GT PP,...

Not only a larger rear sway bar but a larger front sway bar as well. Also listed was, essentially "Brake Cooling Ducting" that is diffenently a plus.

What I don't know and would appricate someone explaining to me is, what exactly is a K-Brace and where does the K-Brace get installed.
Sponsored

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
The first order lists that came out, showed that in the 5.0 GT Performance Package there is an upsized rear sway bar. A recent post today on this forum, showing a Dealer Packaging list, showed two addional items in the 5.0 GT PP,...

Not only a larger rear sway bar but a larger front sway bar as well. Also listed was, essentially "Brake Cooling Ducting" that is diffenently a plus.

What I don't know and would appricate someone explaining to me is, what exactly is a K-Brace and where does the K-Brace get installed.
I assume the "K-Brace refers to the engine cross member which on the current S197 is referred to the K-Member. This brace would go between the rear most control arm mounting points on the K-Member like the current A-Arm brace is on the 07+ S197 cars. That's a lot of alphabet soup to keep straight.

As for the Brake Cooling Ducting, I'd be interested to see if it is actually ducting or just clever air diversion through the front fascia to direct air at the front rotors. Actual ducting is measurably better than just directing air at the center of the rotors through plastic bits through the front fascia vs a plumbed line directly to the center of the rotors.

Figures

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
In regards to the brake ducting, its just air diversion through the front fascia, they talk about it in Tech Aerodynamic video, at around the 4 min mark.

[ame]

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
The K brace is not the same as the K member. All Mustangs have a K member it supports the engine and the suspension hangs off it. The K brace is either a cross member added to the K member just in front of the transmission or the brace that goes from the K member to the radiator support; which is also the place the front sway bar attaches. When the car is cornering hard the radiator support would flex reducing the strength of the sway bar so for the Boss cars they added a brace from the sway bar/radiator support to the K member.

OP
OP

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
K-brace and brake Cooling with performace pack

Thanks for the K-brace info! and...You are correct Sir!

I went back and reviewed the Performance Pack shown in the post for the Dealer Packaging list and it describes the "brake cooling" as...

quote= "Brake cooling via under-car diverter" as you mentioned, actual ducting would be completely different as well as superior.

Sponsored

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
My 1980 factory V8 Fairmont came with a K-Brace. It ended up being a PITA for me to fit a Canton Road Race pan without doing some cutting but anytime you triangulate the top and bottom of suspension mounting points and "special suspension tuning" (Bushing durometer-typically) is a good thing. The lower K-Brace was typically utilized to prevent flex in factory convertibles (dreaded cowl shake) by transferring standard flex through an unsupported firewall (cowl area) and transferring it through the "frame rails" (unibody cars) i.e. floor pan to rear suspension.

The fact the Ford has developed such a stiff chassis on the '15 and has determined a lower brace part of the PP package tells us that the grip provided by the package caused Ford to add weight to stiffen this area to maintain suspension geometry under high cornering loads. This is a good problem to have. Pirelli's are very sticky so I for one am very excited. I will be adding the 9.5" wheels to the front of my car (maybe 10" wheels and 4 corner 285's) as soon as Ford Racing releases them to make a no effort 1LE Killer (maybe bad driver Vette Killer). It won't take long for us to discover the max wheel/tire fitments but from the day I receive my car the rears will be moved to the front to see how much room I have, bigger is better in this case. This car will be incredible.

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Since there is now a thread concerning the 5.0 Performance Package, I have a question of my own.
The wheel size (front and rear) is specifically listed as is the tire size but at this time there is no mention that I could find of the tire brand or model or rating.
Has anybody seen this information?
Edit; I was digging around and saw this on another thread but not sure if it is 100% accurate.
255/40ZR19 96Y P ZERO: front tire for Mustang GT and all around fitment on I4 EcoBoost Performance package;
275/40ZR19 101Y P ZERO: rear tire for Mustang GT used with 255/40ZR19 PZERO front;

I am wanting to check out information on the tires to find dry and wet traction rating, how many miles the tires are rated at, their speed rating, etc.
This is of interest to me because I want to know my choices, if any, when it comes to replacement of the tires and possibly even some all weather or winter specific tires.

Another question.
Is it listed anywhere, or does anybody know how to figure, the engine RPM at specific cruise speeds?
I am wondering what difference the shorter rear end gearing makes while cruising along at about 75 mph over the regular GT gearing with the manual transmission.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
5.0 GT PP uses specific tires, where the front shares size with other models, only the EcoBoost PP shares tire. Standard GT tires are All Season.

Here are the GT PP Specs. @75MPH will be 2200 RPM in 6th. That's what makes this car so much fun on the highway. You can cruise at almost 70MPH in 4th (4000RPM) and still roll through 3000-3500 more RPM up to redline.

For reference a 3.55 GT with 19" wheels will be at 2150 RPM @75MPH - i.e. no difference. The rear GT PP tires are .7" taller offsetting the gear ratio on the highway.

Standard 3.31 is standard ratio because cruise is 2000 RPM @75MPH for max fuel economy.

Disclaimer: These are CALCULATIONS - Actual Results Will Vary
GT PP Tires.jpg

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Standard All Season 19" GT tire for reference. Yes this one will last at least twice as long (plus you can rotate it) This is why my first modification will be to see if the rears fit on the front.

If you get a Base GT/Eco/V6 you could end up with random tires depending on available commodities so I can't calculate values. For example week one production could include Pirelli's, week two Goodyears. All depends what they buy. This is the case for standard 17", 18" and optional 20" wheel/tires.

EcoBoost PP will net 2320RPM @75MPH with manual and 2275RPM Automatic.

If you opt for a true DD EcoBoost with base 17" tires and Auto with std 3.15 ratio you will net 2020RPM @75MPH (Based on my best guess standard tire)

GT 19 Tires.jpg

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
An LE Auto / 3.55 will be 2220RPM @75MPH (Manual will be same as GT PP)

GT Auto with 19" A/S tires will be 2275RPM @75MPH Also why Manual gets better MPG rating over Auto (6th gear is .651 M vs. .69 A) Why you can't get 3.73 Auto GT, it would be at 2400RPM @75MPH - Pretty Busy

Sponsored

Don's Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500. 2018 C63S
5.0 GT PP uses specific tires,
I am disappointed to see Ford still specing the Mustang with Pirelli P zeros. I hated those tires on my current mustang. After 6 months they started getting loud, and showing major wear. I have since switched to Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The Michelin are so much better in every way, smoother, quieter, handle better, better in the rain, and two years later still have plenty of life left in them.

One of my first stops will be to the tire dealer, to get a set of super sports

Tim I see your from Boston, take a look at our facebook site, and join up

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mustangsofmass/

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I am disappointed to see Ford still specing the Mustang with Pirelli P zeros. I hated those tires on my current mustang. After 6 months they started getting loud, and showing major wear. I have since switched to Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The Michelin are so much better in every way, smoother, quieter, handle better, better in the rain, and two years later still have plenty of life left in them.

One of my first stops will be to the tire dealer, to get a set of super sports

Tim I see your from Boston, take a look at our facebook site, and join up

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mustangsofmass/

While I definitely agree Michelin's Super Sports are top dog in the performance category, according to several recent Mustang owners it seems that Pirelli has updated their PZero model and the tires are both performing and lasting longer. My 2011 went 14,000 miles before needing to replace the OEM tires but there are people now with over 20,000 miles saying they have plenty of tread remaining.
Sponsored