Sponsored

5.0 Coyote chirp / tic on start up

joepro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Just to add to this, the op and I have been talking, as my car has the same noise, same conditions. I believe I have traced it to the intake cam vtc phaser, if you unplug it while chirping, it goes away, and cones back immediately when plugged back in. With that said, if I can verify the phaser is working and advancing properly, im not going to let the dealer touch it. I have hp tuners, forscan and obdiiwiz and none of them that I can find can read live phaser data. Does anyone know outside of ford's scan tools how to read live phaser data on a 22?

I'd like to try ceratec, but if I end up taking it in, I don't want any crap from the service department...I'm really not wild about a random flat rater ripping into the engine.

Skip to 1:50

Sponsored

Last edited:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Just to add to thus, the op and I have been talking, as my car has the same noise, same conditions. I believe I have traced it to the intake cam vtc phaser, if you unplug it while chirping, it goes away, abd cones back immediately when plugged back in. With that said, if I can verify the phaser is working and advancing properly, om not going to let the dealer touch it. I have hp tubers, forscan and obdiiwiz and none of them that I can find can read loke phaser data. Does anyone know outside of ford's scan tools how to read live phaser data on a 22?

I'd like to try ceratec, but if I end up taking it in, I don't want any crap from the service department...I'm really not wild about a random flat rater ripping into the engine.

Skip to 1:50

Sounds like you may have located the source of the noise. It’s going to be a lot of work to access it though. It might be best for you to find the best reputable dealer, meet with the service manager and have an in-depth conversation with him/her and their best tech about what it will take to perform the repair and feel them out before making a decision to let them handle the work.

In my case, I’m not ready to tear the front of my engine apart to replace the part because I know I wouldn’t be able to stop there. I would have to add lots of other goodies, including cams, oil pump gears and a pro billet timing kit, which would very easily cost north of $4K for parts.

joepro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Sounds like you may have located the source of the noise. It’s going to be a lot of work to access it though. It might be best for you to find the best reputable dealer, meet with the service manager and have an in-depth conversation with him/her and their best tech about what it will take to perform the repair and feel them out before making a decision to let them handle the work.

In my case, I’m not ready to tear the front of my engine apart to replace the part because I know I wouldn’t be able to stop there. I would have to add lots of other goodies, including cams, oil pump gears and a pro billet timing kit, which would very easily cost north of $4K for parts.

I worked at a dealer for many years, I hate to tell you, the SM doesn't give a crap about you or me, just who is paying...I have a fairly reputable dealer close to me, I'll probably drop it off later this month as I have some work travel planned.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I worked at a dealer for many years, I hate to tell you, the SM doesn't give a crap about you or me, just who is paying...I have a fairly reputable dealer close to me, I'll probably drop it off later this month as I have some work travel planned.
Oh, I believe that 100%, because I’ve had a really bad experience with a dealer regarding a previous Mustang and I ended up working at that dealership for a day and fixing my own car in one of their bays. It’s exactly why I now perform all of my own work when possible. The crazy thing is, all certified techs have the training and knowledge to properly perform most repairs, but some (not all) are just too lazy to do quality work. What’s the old saying? “ If you want something done right, do it yourself.” It really is some shameful 💩.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
The reasons why the Coyote is a noisy engine are also the reasons why it's still in production and not going away like Mustang competitors. It's got a lot of extra junk to keep it in production. It's pricier and noisier than the competition as a result.

I've learned to enjoy the weird sounds it makes. It's doing neat stuff that makes power, noisily.

Sponsored

joepro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
The reasons why the Coyote is a noisy engine are also the reasons why it's still in production and not going away like Mustang competitors. It's got a lot of extra junk to keep it in production. It's pricier and noisier than the competition as a result.

I've learned to enjoy the weird sounds it makes. It's doing neat stuff that makes power, noisily.
Noise isn't the problem, noise that shouldnt be there is...this isn't a well documented noise like the tick, but seems to becoming common. For me anyway, once I can confirm the actuator is working and I'm not losing any performance, it can chirp till the day it blows...I can understand people that have not been around coyotes or have not been in the industry all their life like I have, may be concerned.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Mine has a chirp on cold starts reminds me of a pulley noise it’s been like that for nearly 5 years owning the car and it has never changed and couldnt give a shit about it in the least. Car runs terrific and always has.

Rebirth_18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was hoping someone could confirm or deny if this is a normal noise on a 5.0. I have read tons of posts on the coyote tic but this noise only occurs on cold start and then lasts roughly a minute or two. It almost sounds like a chirp so thinking maybe the cam phasers? The video is a little long so you can hear the engine on initial start and then the noise starts at around 50 seconds in and lasts until about 2 minutes or so. Does anyone else’s car do this and is it normal noise for a 5.0. The car is a 2021 Mach 1 I bought new in June only has 520 miles on it. It has done this since new, no better no worse. The video was too big to upload so I tried to create a YouTube video.

2022 GT and so I just did my OPG and CS in prep for boost and got the car back and a day or two later noticed this same exact noise and conditions. Before I even seen this thread I contacted the guy who did my OPG and he said the same as the Ford TSB that he thinks it is the tensioners. I purchased the boss tensioner upgrade kit with the new guides and secondary tensioners and he’s gonna take it back apart and install them soon, will report back. It’s crazy I’ve had multiple OPG done on three of my coyotes I’ve owned and this is a first. Glad to see it’s not just me lol, this issue been driving me crazy

Rebirth_18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Oh and I’ve put ceratec in the car and it does nothing for the chirp if anybody was wondering

OP
OP
21M5033

21M5033

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach One
Just as an update on this topic, I ended up finding a dealer and tech I trusted and had the Ford Field Service Tech look at the car and they all agreed the noise was not normal. I asked if they were going to do work (open up a new motor with less than 1000 miles on it) please replace everything that "could" be making the noise. With that said, they replaced the passenger cam phaser, cam phaser solenoid, and timing chain guide. The noise is completely gone (only put 100 miles or so on car after the work) so I am excited. They ended up doing an awesome job and I can't even tell they worked on the car. Hopefully this is the end of it.

Sponsored

Rebirth_18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just as an update on this topic, I ended up finding a dealer and tech I trusted and had the Ford Field Service Tech look at the car and they all agreed the noise was not normal. I asked if they were going to do work (open up a new motor with less than 1000 miles on it) please replace everything that "could" be making the noise. With that said, they replaced the passenger cam phaser, cam phaser solenoid, and timing chain guide. The noise is completely gone (only put 100 miles or so on car after the work) so I am excited. They ended up doing an awesome job and I can't even tell they worked on the car. Hopefully this is the end of it.
Glad you got it resolved, did you ever get any codes related to the phasers? Did you notice any decrease in performance etc. My hunch is it has more to do with the tensioners and guide since the tensioner basically pumps up as oil pressure increases. My mechanic said for some reason he thinks it’s draining when the car sits and on cold start don’t pump up until the engine has good flow and warmed which is when my noise goes away. I would think if it was the phaser I’d see some other problems just wondering if you noticed anything other than the chirp

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I am scheduled to drop mine off this Tuesday for the same problem and will report back once I get the car back.

Rebirth_18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am scheduled to drop mine off this Tuesday for the same problem and will report back once I get the car back.
I doubt the dealership would cover mine since I’m tuned with Headers and e85 but I’ll be looking for your result.

OP
OP
21M5033

21M5033

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach One
For what it's worth, there were no codes and absolutely no deterioration of performance, It was simply an annoying noise. With that said, it was not a normal noise and I felt it should be repaired, especially due to resale value. Someone that is not familiar with these cars would be very suspect of the noise.

Rebirth_18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Got the tensioners and guides
Any updates? Dropped mine off to mechanic yesterday to get tensioners and guides replaced putting in the ford performance boss 302 upgraded tensioners and guides, he finished and said he ran the car for a few seconds and didn’t hear anything other than loud exhaust so idk I’ll find out tomorrow when I pick it up. If the noise is still there I’ll replace the phasers when I do cams later in the spring but I do feel better with the upgrades tensioners in there.
Sponsored