Sponsored

4 hour open track session.

STFUdonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 AG
I’m attending a 4 hour open session tomorrow. I’ve never done an event that you can come and go as you please. It’s always been 15-20 minute sessions with 1-2 hours of chill out time.

I’d love to hear what kind of game plan you’d set to enjoy yourselves without subjecting the car to borderline abuse by having no time limits. Right now I am thinking about sustained temps of engine/fluids, brakes and rotors as well as the cup 2’s and making sure I’m not going to compromise any of

I was thinking of mirroring the 15-20 minute sessions and then giving myself and the car 30 minutes of or so to chill out and regroup before going back out.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on how to have fun without compromising the car.
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Unless you're Billy J or close to it, you can run it till it runs out of fuel (or you do).

Have fun! Open lapping are my favorite days. Last time I did a DMTD at VIR I did over 4.5 hours of track time each day. Burned through so much E85 it was ridiculous :)

OP
OP
STFUdonny

STFUdonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 AG
Unless you're Billy J or close to it, you can run it till it runs out of fuel (or you do).

Have fun! Open lapping are my favorite days. Last time I did a DMTD at VIR I did over 4.5 hours of track time each day. Burned through so much E85 it was ridiculous :)
That’s awesome!! It’s going to be my first day in an R and I’m planning to just enjoy the time without driving it really hard. That is really good to know that these cars can handle that amount of work!

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Open pitlane (on and off as you please) is common in Europe. For the most part, the average person reaches their limit in about 20 minutes. So, to some extent it ends up being like 20 minute sessions, though you can go longer if you wish. You can also gauge break lengths for yourself. Enjoy.

Edit: example https://pistenclub.de/en/events/2285-2021-04-27-nbr-nos

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If you dont have trakk tape on the front end of your car, avoid getting on someone's 6. Other than that, have fun.

Sponsored

OP
OP
STFUdonny

STFUdonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 AG
If you dont have trakk tape on the front end of your car, avoid getting on someone's 6. Other than that, have fun.
Just got my roll of Trakk tape in and going to grab black gorilla tape for splitter and other plastic trim.

OP
OP
STFUdonny

STFUdonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 AG
You continue to impress.....
I appreciate that! I try my absolute best to take notes from guys like you on how to properly take care of these cars.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I appreciate that! I try my absolute best to take notes from guys like you on how to properly take care of these cars.
You will be fine with trakk tape over xpel. Have fun!

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Do you prep the tape the night before or do it in the paddock?
Believe it or not, you can leave the tape on for extended periods of time with zero issues. I would recommend you do it way before the event because it takes a lot of time to do correctly. Those felt tipped 3m squeegies do a nice job, but be aware they can scratch the ppf below if you are not careful.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Consider working up to longer sessions.

Maybe allow yourself mentally to relax by coming in after first 20 minutes.

Then when fresh, consider going out and simply running till you feel yourself mentally falling off, even if just slightly. Then consider coming in.

Work up to what you find is sustainable and avoid staying out on track until you are risking mistakes in traffic or in low runout areas. Keep extra mental overhead/capability on tap in case someone else out there makes a mistake pushing themselves mentally. You dont what to come around the hairpin only to find you missed checking the flag station and there is a car still rolling backwards from a spin across your line.

One day on track, someone is going to screw up in front of you and that extra mental freshness and endurance you develop will decide if your day is over or not...

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I thought about this for Watkins Glen this summer. However I’ve only done driving events based on run groups. I’ve averaged 2-3 events per year for the past 25 years.

My main concern is being in track with other drivers of different skill levels, some not knowing what they are doing, versus being in a like set of experienced drivers per run group.

Your thoughts ??

Thanks in advance

Dave

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Where is everyone buying their trakktape from? I see loads of choices on amazon but a bit overwhelming as I have no clue what amount is needed for 1 event. Typical ppf areas is what I'd do.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I thought about this for Watkins Glen this summer. However I’ve only done driving events based on run groups. I’ve averaged 2-3 events per year for the past 25 years.

My main concern is being in track with other drivers of different skill levels, some not knowing what they are doing, versus being in a like set of experienced drivers per run group.
Your thoughts ??
Thanks in advance
Dave
Ask the organizer and ask again at drivers meeting. Usually it is stressed to everyone that you are all out there working together as a team to share the track and help set up the driver behind you to get by so you can both get back to having fun.

if you get bunched together with 1 or more other cars and you feel stress of others trying to pass you both, just ease off a lap or hot pit in/out for more space.
Sponsored