Sponsored

3.8L Whipple vs 3.0L Whipple? Driveability, Efficiency, Pricing.

wumbo5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
Curious to know the cons that come with getting a 3.8L Whipple as opposed to the 3.0L (apart from higher cost)
I'm budgeting for a blower and almost ready to order but currently at a crossroad lol.

I want to grow with the car and I mean grow lol AGE. It's my daily driver.
I don't mind NVH trade offs but drivability, being from Miami and dealing with traffic a lot, is a thing I'm concerned about. I'd like to avoid the car being total trash in traffic and only good when opening it up.

That being said, how much better is it overall when compared to over the 3.0L?
Should you spend the extra money if you're looking for a whipple?

Personal WHP goals are;

750 whp on 93
900 whp on e85
1100 whp on e85

Perhaps getting the 3.8L - albeit overkill - would easily get 750 or 780whp on 93 as opposed to 680-700whp off a 3.0L on 93?
(When all other variables considered are equal)

That would be enticing enough to spend the extra cash and have a system that's simply that much more efficient even IF its overkill.
Some of us would rather pay extra now to be able to get a little extra oomf later.

Chime in please!

(Below is my '20 10r80 FBO E85 drag suspension , lockout kit, on M/T's which I daily 3 days out the week)

Cap1ture.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
OP
OP

wumbo5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
A Whipple 3.8 on a daily driver is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard
Some people enjoy the ridiculousness. There's people who daily 900+whp cars lol especially out here in South FL. Maybe the culture here is a bit different than that of Ohio or Illinois.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Some people enjoy the ridiculousness. There's people who daily 900+whp cars lol especially out here in South FL. Maybe the culture here is a bit different than that of Ohio or Illinois.
My point is that with a 3.8 and a 3.75 pulley which is the largest that will fit, that is 1100 horsepower worth of air. You're not running pump 93 with a 3.8.

1275 WHP here in Ohio, and we don't mess around with FBO up here. So yeah maybe the car culture is a bit different from down there. Lol

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
You won't get anymore power out of the 3.8 since the motor and fuel system will be maxed out on 93. The 3.0 can handle all the power the yote can handle until you build the motor and after that, the 3.0 will still make stupid power on a built motor.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Im with @80FoxCoupe . 3.8 on the stock motor and daily driver is not very smart. 3.0L is all you need. Whipple banks on people just being extra lol. Idc if you’re in south Florida or Ohio. Waiting on them announcing a 4.3L so people can dump their 3.8L.

OP
OP

wumbo5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
Im with @80FoxCoupe . 3.8 on the stock motor and daily driver is not very smart. 3.0L is all you need. Whipple banks on people just being extra lol. Idc if you’re in south Florida or Ohio. Waiting on them announcing a 4.3L so people can dump their 3.8L.
I hear ya. Was just considering it. Can't learn until we ask or try.

Building the motor and trans is also in the plans, was wondering at first that maybe it'd be better to get the bigger unit instead of switching it out in the future. You know, making a smarter choice.

But hey I appreciate all this input!

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
The 3.0 will get you into the bottom 8's and the 3.8 doesn't make sense unless the rest of your setup is at that level.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
My point is that with a 3.8 and a 3.75 pulley which is the largest that will fit, that is 1100 horsepower worth of air. You're not running pump 93 with a 3.8.

1275 WHP here in Ohio, and we don't mess around with FBO up here. So yeah maybe the car culture is a bit different from down there. Lol
Be careful, you are making sense here.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
I hear ya. Was just considering it. Can't learn until we ask or try.

Building the motor and trans is also in the plans, was wondering at first that maybe it'd be better to get the bigger unit instead of switching it out in the future. You know, making a smarter choice.

But hey I appreciate all this input!
As long as you intend on using race gas or E85 100% of the time on the 3.8. You'd be limited to about 5,000 rpm on 93. There's no fun in that.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Not what you are asking, but if you want stock inlet temps when in traffic or in hot muggy weather (which is what I have where I live), then a Procharger, ESS, or similar will make stupid power and run cool at the same time, see this Palm Beach video:

Notice in the video the car is loosing traction at 60 mph. Rob at PBD says this may be the perfect A10, Gen3 set up.

Last edited:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Not what you are asking, but if you want stock inlet temps when in traffic or in hot muggy weather (which is what I have where I live), then a Procharger, ESS, or similar will make stupid power and run cool at the same time, see this Palm Beach video:

Notice in the video the car is loosing traction at 60 mph. Rob at PBD says this may be the perfect A10, Gen3 set up.
VERY happy with my P1X setup. They are perfect for hot weather.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The ONLY reason to get the 3.8 is if you're running into belt slip (after you've done a 10 rib) or you've just reached the end of the blower.

There are guys with the 3.0 making North of 1100 hp to the wheels.

If you're likely to never go beyond that or you're slipping badly on a tiny pulley then maybe it makes sense.

Just keep in mind what you're trading to go bigger or less slip (or bragging rights):

Added cost
Added size/volume (which is going to probably require lowering the motor (which can create issues with header clearance to the steering shaft) or a different hood (or unsightly modifications to your hood).
Added weight

As others have said, you also lose the ability to detune below a certain point. Aside from pulley size availability, there's probably physical limitations as to how large the blower pulley can be (without rubbing or contacting something adjacent). So you'd lose the flexibility to ever tone it down to pump gas most likely.
Sponsored