Sponsored

3.7 Forced induction

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Hit me up on FB. Sean Houck. I am stationed in Germany. Its a picture of my wife and I (hint she has glasses). Ill be happy to talk you through some things based on my limited experience and connect you with some folks.
Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
NPG or JMP are the way to go for "real" turbo kits, not sure what the build times are for either right now. The Super Six kit on E85 could probably work okay for you as well though since you're trying to stay under 420 wheel and it would need E85 for that (unless you upgrade it like Paul). Not sure if the torque there might be too much for you instead of higher up power.

I am a little curious on what you could make with a full NA build though, might not quite hit the 420, but could be pretty fun - at least while on the track.
I wish 420 was possible with a built motor but it just doesn't look possible or cost efficient. Best I have seen (s197 3.7) was 350-365 I think. Memory is a little hazy.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
NPG or JMP are the way to go for "real" turbo kits, not sure what the build times are for either right now. The Super Six kit on E85 could probably work okay for you as well though since you're trying to stay under 420...
Yes to JMP and NPG, but he is limited to e85 in his class unfortunately.

SilverbackGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
NPG or JMP are the way to go for "real" turbo kits, not sure what the build times are for either right now. The Super Six kit on E85 could probably work okay for you as well though since you're trying to stay under 420 wheel and it would need E85 for that (unless you upgrade it like Paul). Not sure if the torque there might be too much for you instead of higher up power.

I am a little curious on what you could make with a full NA build though, might not quite hit the 420, but could be pretty fun - at least while on the track.
I have sorta been wondering about this as well. Has anyone tested the limits of this motor naturally aspirated? Coming from the coyote motor, forced induction was my gut instinct for the v6 lol.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
My number crunching left-side brain says go with the z car. I've been wanting one since the debut of the 350z. But that's not what I'm gonna do. I love the idea of an American-made, twin turbo v6 mustang and I was looking for someone familiar with the platform to finish talking me into it so I appreciate that. Bonus is that I still have some upgraded suspension components and a set of 18x11 ec7s. Not to mention my previous experience driving and upgrading 2016 GT. The 370z probably can't easily run a square fitment of 315 width tires either! (Don't correct me if I'm wrong lol ) I already reached out to the premier mustang shop in my area so waiting to hear back from them. I'm definitely leaning towards a twin setup but I need some help putting together a parts list. I saw the super six Ecoboost "kit" but I think there's gotta be a better way to do it. Someone mentioned sending off the stock turbos to get rebuilt in a previous thread? Any advice would be much appreciated.
If you did the ecoboost conversion then you would have to and I mean have to replicate P3s (SouthernCyclone) build, but we don't know the dyno results or longevity of the system without it running e85 or meth.

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
I have sorta been wondering about this as well. Has anyone tested the limits of this motor naturally aspirated? Coming from the coyote motor, forced induction was my gut instinct for the v6 lol.
If you missed my original response the page I kinda talk this...

SilverbackGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I’m going to go out on a limb and guess 400+ and 450 wtq at 8 psi on straight 93 octane using my MAF air flow lbs. min.
In the tuning world that’s suppose to give you a ball park of the crank horsepower. Like I said previously I’m making 49-50 lbs. min. which would translate to 490-500 crank. I’m then taking that times 20% for drivetrain loss (it could be a little less). 20% would be right at 400 whp and of course less drivetrain loss would equate to more whp and more drivetrain loss would be less whp.

Any how it will be interesting to see.
Sounds like the recipe I'm looking for. I was really hoping that you had a build log! How do your temps hold up and do you think they would be manageable for a 30 minute track session mid summer?

SilverbackGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I’m basically doing a SSM kit on steroids, in the end I will have about $5k in it with a remote tune and then a dyno tune for that price. I’m using upgraded everything, a 3” OR DP and GT500 over axles.
I do have experience doing a custom kit as I had a single turbo BW S256 setup in 2015 on my 13 3.7 Stang. I basically sourced partial kit from Race Part Soulitons and finished it up. A lot more welding was involved with that kit then this SSM kit.

Any how if any of you decide you want to upgrade your F150 turbocharger hit Matt up at Turbobay performance. He had been doing F150 upgrades before I contacted him with 54mm compressor wheel. I told him my plan with the mustang and I wanted more top end then the stock or mild upgrade offered. So he did some research on his end and was originally going to use a 58mm compressor but found out he could go 59mm compressor wheel.

I talked with him yesterday and he’s going to offer 59mm compressor in 11 blade, 6+6 blade and 7+7 blade configuration. He also will clip the turbine or install a bigger turbine wheel. I’m starting off with a 6+6 or 7+7 since I want higher end flow and a clipped turbine. If the clipped turbine does not prove effective I will send my turbos back for a turbine wheel upgrade (involves boring the turbine housing out to fit).

Small wheel on left is stock F150 compressor wheel, middle is his 54mm upgrade on his regular build and the big one is 59mm.

Also if anyone is wanting to do a SSM turbo kit, I have the turbochargers that came with the kit I bought and were rebuilt by previous person that used them along with ported F150 turbo manifolds. I’ll let go for cheap and will help save a lot of money on your build.
AE11B49D-08F3-4B14-A57D-D0C0E4461DB6.jpeg
68594796-B2C4-4AFB-A0F4-63D188EADFE0.jpeg
D9E12D0F-8B64-4080-A461-FBDE26AE1B87.jpeg
Still available?

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Still available?
Its a pretty simple build log. You have to buy some 2013 F150 turbos and send them to turbobay to be upgraded. Purchase custom made CRP ecoboost turbo manifolds, the SuperSix Motorsports ecoboost conversion kit (its for the adapter plates that mount the manis), tubosmart wastegates, a completely custom 3inch exhaust to include downpipes (really tight fit requiring notching of the firewall), amongst all the other turbo bits you need. Its a very custom build.

**edit: typed before P3 answered lol**

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
yeah I still do, they are 11-12 model F150 EB turbos with the smallest compressor that came on the F150.Previous owner supposedly rebuilt them stock with the Gen 2 guts. Also the integrated bpv was blocked off by SSM. Neither matters in the big scheme of things if you send them in to be rebuilt bigger by Turbobay (at least his upgrade that includes the 54mm compressor wheels with clipped turbine) and use a BOV like you should anyways.

Things I recommend to make the F150 3.5 EB with SSM kit shine on the 3.7. Biggest problem is to much back pressure
-Upgraded stock turbo with bigger compressor wheel and clipped turbine wheel (Turbobay mild clips them with his builds) His standard rebuild is 54mm compressors, mine are 59mm compressors.
Contact Matt@TurbobayPerformance

-Turbosmart internal wastegates (the stock canisters iwg are made for the stock ebc system)

-CRP Performance Full Bore F150 3.5 upgraded turbo exhaust manifolds (these are beefier meaning won’t break over time, common problem with F150 3.5 manifolds. These will also increase overall flow. https://crpengineering.com/cr-perfo...full-bore-performance-manifolds-now-in-stock/

P3 Performance Intake Manifolds (shameless plug for me) www.facebook.com/portingmadness
Ported intake manifolds, self explanatory, they make a difference NA and bigger difference FI. I also run a 80mm GT TB with my portedmintakes.

- Catless downpipes, at least 2.5” to 2.5” over axles with free flowing exhaust
Paul but do you think this setup is feasible for track sessions? I mean I thought it would be for light track duty based on the original modifications I was pursuing (as we know literally wha you did lol) before I changed direction, but running e85 or meth.

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
I want to do water injection but just another cost I think i will have to wait on lol. Not even sure what kit I would want or build it custom.

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I want to do water injection but just another cost I think i will have to wait on lol. Not even sure what kit I would want or build it custom.
I'm in the process of installing a kit right now. I got a boost activated kit from snow for about $250.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Thank you. I have looked that kit before. I still am debating a custom water only injection setup. When you. get setup some pics of the install locations would be great. Appreciate it.
Sponsored