Sponsored

3.5Eco Exploder oil Catch cans?

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I have a new 3.5Eco Exploder Platinum and I'm curious if these motors should have an Oil Catch can. Seems like the FB groups info is pretty non technical so I didn't have any luck.

I just got the second oil change and it seems like it's eating a little oil which is normal for a Turbo engine but I wonder what you guys suggest. Is a catch can a necessary investment?

It's my wife's daily so the only time the Exploder gets the beans is when I get in it. My thoughts on it is low speed, low load driving is probably not good for a turbo engine. Oil ends up sitting in the intake and exhaust.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would definitely do it in any direct injection engine, especially when it's boosted. I'm surprised by how much oil shows up in my Fiesta's catch can.

Turbo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt DHG; Electronics, MR, Recaros, Cover, 2017 Explorer Sport Ingot Silver, 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
I put one on my 2017 Explorer Sport at about 11,000 miles. It runs about half full every oil change.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought an F-150 Ecoboost & will get a UPR catch can for it soon. DI engines need this help.

StealthFighter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BOB
Vehicle(s)
-2019 GT premium a10 -pp1 -Shadow Black loaded
I had a 2015 explorer sport, drove it in heavy traffic city, almost always heavy on the throttle from a full stops, a good bit of highway plus speeds, and on a high speed 4,500 mile round trip 10 day vacation at times somewhat with abandon , sold it with 80,000 plus miles on it.
It never used any oil between changes, always used full synthetic , it was still running as new when I sold it.
That sport had some real balls with the twin turbo set up especially considering it was AWD and heavy as hell.
I never knew about an Oil catch can, my sport didn't seem to need one considering how well it ran with zero problems, zero oil consumption, decent and consistent gas milage from new, with the only upgrade a K&N air filter.

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I think it’s a marketing gimmick just like cold air kits. I’ve driven vehicles with 200k miles without it and they ran as good as they did with 50k miles.

Turbo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt DHG; Electronics, MR, Recaros, Cover, 2017 Explorer Sport Ingot Silver, 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Y'all are missing the point on this DI engine and a catch can. It's not for oil consumption and I'm happy that your engine didn't use oil, mine doesn't either. The point of the catch can and I can't believe I have to explain this is to stop the oil and combustion byproducts from cooking to the backside of the engine valves. Newer designs of the engine added upstream injectors like my 2019 Bullitt for example. The fuel spray upstream tends to clean the valves of this crap. The older style DI gets blowby coked to the valves and performance takes a hit. This is well documented on the internet. Driving slowly and extended idling probably makes this worse. It would be a gradual thing and over time you wouldn't notice it. Not like all at once it would have slower acceleration. It can be cleaned out with blasting media or nut shells from the intake side but who wants to go through that.

StealthFighter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BOB
Vehicle(s)
Like I already said, 80,000 miles and my sport ran like new, never a problem , if there was combustion by-product fouling/buildup in the engine it sure didn't show it in any way at all, including acceleration,.
If it's well documented on the internet we all know its properly researched and obviously 100 % true, I never heard about it , and in my case even if it did have some buildup or other negative thing happening
it did not affect my engines performance to any noticeable amount at all, really nothing to worry about IMHO unless your going to track it / drag race it, don't think most folks are into that with an Explorer.
Does it hurt it to add a can, heck no... just does not seem necessary to me, but to each their own. Life's Good, Enjoy it.

Turbo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Like I already said, 80,000 miles and my sport ran like new, never a problem , if there was combustion by-product fouling/buildup in the engine it sure didn't show it in any way at all, including acceleration,.
If it's well documented on the internet we all know its properly researched and obviously 100 % true, I never heard about it , and in my case even if it did have some buildup or other negative thing happening
it did not affect my engines performance to any noticeable amount at all, really nothing to worry about IMHO unless your going to track it / drag race it, don't think most folks are into that with an Explorer.
Does it hurt it to add a can, heck no... just does not seem necessary to me, but to each their own. Life's Good, Enjoy it.
n54-valve-carbon-17076613_767005956788490_9148968870982189056_n.jpg
ValveBuildup.jpg

Turbo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I only run premium fuel in my explorer and God forbid mine would ever get THIS bad. I wind mine out to 5,500-6,000 once and awhile. Ours gets DRIVEN... LOL. It's about due for a PTU drain and refill. I'm more concerned about that little bugger than my valves. We do run a can of that injection cleaner once and awhile. The one with the annoying commercials.

Sponsored

StealthFighter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BOB
Vehicle(s)
those pictures are real nice, what engine, what milage, what else was wrong with it, what type of use? police car idling for hours on end, taxi , track car, drag car? what type of driving habits and what brand and type of fuel used, ? Engine oil changed how often and what brand and specs. pictures without full disclosure of all pertinent facts prove nothing. too any possibilities with too many questions left unanswered and without real proof as to cause and vehicle/engine involved.
I am not questioning your take of these pictures just that they prove nothing by themselves, Once again ...Life is good. enjoy it!

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
No one will tell you they will hurt the vehicle, no one will say the won't help. They just say it isn't needed. Sure the engine will eat up the oil and water....does that it make it a bad idea not to stop it before hand. NO.

Last edited:

Turbo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I apparently triggered somebody, haha. Just do whatever works for you. You should contact FORD Racing and tell them all your feelings about catch cans and ask them to remove them from their catalog. You made really good points. I hope you apply yourself this hard to making the world a better place.
Sponsored