Sponsored

Can businesses catch govitis or is there a private sector equivalent?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My father passed away and I needed numerous death certificates to handle the estate. The mortuary told me they could provide them but if I was in hurry it would be faster to go directly to the govt after a week or so because funeral home certificates are processed by the govt in batches.

I waited and when researching the closest office, I see they ceased walk-ins because of Covid. The only way for anyone but mortuaries to get a death certificate is online thru a private company.

The mortuary will provide them at $20 each which is what the govt charged for walk-ins pre-Covid. This company tacks on numerous mandatory fees more than doubling that. And they require you to select a single description of what you will use them for because there are several flavors of death certificates. My needs include at least 4 of the choices. Then for a cherry on top, you have to check a box saying you understand that you will have to prove you have a legal right to the death certificate. And you have to make a non refundable payment before finding out what that entails or how long that might take. And they have discontinued all phone support.

So back to the mortuary for a week longer wait than if I went with them at the start.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Sorry about your father.

I ran into similar nonsense when my son passed away last February. Covid made everything even more of a clusterf*ck than normal, which would have still been significant. It took forever, and it makes no sense why.

Bureaucracy at its finest.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Bureaucracy at its finest.
cartels/artificial monopolies at their finest. Just imagine what gov't run healthcare will look like when there is no more private sector. I close my eyes and bask in the calm satisfaction.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
Sorry to hear about your loss. As others have stated that this pandemic has added to the bureaucratic nightmare that already exists in the US. I hope you are well during this time of grief. All the best sir.

Nuryalom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Even though this thread is from two years ago, the challenges you faced in obtaining death certificates are still relevant and can be frustrating. Dealing with such administrative tasks during a difficult time can be stressful.
It's unfortunate that you had to navigate additional fees and complexities through a private company. In situations like this, it's always valuable to explore different options and make the best choice for your needs.
If you or your family ever find yourselves in a similar situation in the future, it's worth considering eco-conscious crematory services. Their environmentally friendly approach to end-of-life services can be a thoughtful choice for those seeking more sustainable options.
Sponsored

Last edited: