21MY Mach 1 spied again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I hear what your saying but it just doesn't work like that. The entire collectables industry is built on limited edition models.
You didn't read my post. I gave a modern example (2018 C7 model range, in particular the Z06) and a historic example (1969 Mustang model range, in particular the Mach 1) where it does work just like that.

Both accounted for significant chunks of overall production.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Okay, the C8 is $65,000. Wooooow.
My point is that everyone keeps saying its $60K when it is not. $65K to $75K is where most of these are going to land.

That's still disruptive pricing and not too far off what I paid for my GT350. I'll never buy a C8 because I'm a manual die-hard and Chevrolet can go f*#k itself for making the C8 DCT-only with a bunch of disingenuous reasons as to why, but that's a whole different topic.
Tell me what the next cheapest brand-new, 500ish HP mid-engine V8 is? It's not even close.
OK, we know it's a great deal for a mid engined car but we are discussing the Mach 1 not the C8.

There aren't a lot of people looking at $50,000 sports cars that aren't also in the market for $65,000 sports cars, and vice versa. And you get a looooot more for your money with the C8.
Maybe, maybe not. If you're not in the market for a two seat mid engine car the C8 is a non-issue.

If Ford doesn't find it's way out of this corner they've been painting themselves into where they have "special edition" cars with too high of an MSRP that get ADM'd into oblivion, they're never going to sell enough to justify building them. Or maybe that's the point: see this doesn't sell, now you all have to buy the Mach E.
This was the point in which we differ. It's a special edition. it's not going to sell enough to justify building them. That's what the everyday EB's and GT's are for. If you want a sub $40K GT or a $55K Mach 1 your gold. I just do not see your issue with that.

Chevrolet, even though as I mentioned before they're b****rds for not making a manual C8, do not play this game. The ZL1 Camaro and Z06 C7 could be bought all day long for under MSRP, and they're great value for money. Only the ZL1 C7 was priced as crazy as the new GT500 is relative to what you get - but they still made plenty of the "special" cars for the masses. Before the pandemic there were lots of dealers selling the C8 at MSRP, even though production was limited.
Chevrolet doesn't really do special editions. That's why you can always get a Z06 or ZL1. They are standard line models, not special editions. Don't get me wrong, I think they are great cars in their own right but special in the overall world of two seaters

If you see this Mach 1 debut with a $55k sticker, you know Ford has made the decision to kill the Mustang off bit by bit. They just have to keep making cars that aren't a good value for money, and people will continue to not buy them.
This is where we totally disagree. We do not know anything of the sort.

I specifically mentioned the Chevrolet and the C7, so we'll expand on that.
If you take a look at the 2018 production numbers for the C7, it was split 39.3% Stingray, 31.8% Grand Sport, 28.9% Z06.
Fine, so what. Again we are talking about a Ford Mustang special edition, not regular line Corvettes. None of these Vette's are supposed to be exclusives therefore the regular pricing, discounts and lack of ADM's.

And we all know what's happening in 2020 and 2021 for the GT350.
The model ran it course and it being discontinued. I believe most folks didn't even think it was going to get a 6 year run.

The exclusivity, artificially limited production and ADM's are cancer. Ford should just let dealers (and by extension customers) order as many of the cars as they want. There were 72,458 Mach 1's built in 1969, the first year of production. The Mach 1 accounted for 24% of Mustang production that year. This is what built the success of the Mach 1 name, not ADMs and artificially limited production.
The ADM's are on the dealer. Don't want to pay it don't go to that dealer. period. There is nothing artificial about limiting production. They tell you up front its limited and you make your decision.

Special editions are not about % of production. They are about being "special" to those that want them. Ford will set the price and those buyers will decide whether it is too high or just right. In this context your comparisons and analogies are not pertinent.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Special editions are not about % of production. They are about being "special" to those that want them. Ford will set the price and those buyers will decide whether it is too high or just right. In this context your comparisons and analogies are not pertinent.
I compared the 2021 Mach 1 to the 1969 Mach 1 and somehow... not pertinent.

I don't even have words.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
That said it is expected that the Mach 1 is going to be far more popular than the Bullitt and we know how that went.
Dealers killed the Bullitt with their outrageous ADM's and I expected the Mach 1 not to be the exception. A quick check of my dealers website shows they still have three 2019 Bullitt's in stock they like the rest played the ADM game with the Bullitt.

Alex1979

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Can't wait for more actual Mach 1 info instead of bickering :) Can a car be a car without getting ripped apart? Hoping for more exciting Mach 1 news soon!

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Sorry for going offtopic here, but It's funny how american magazines tend to make dramatic headlines because they didn't understand what they read from european announcements.

Let's take the german price for the C8 Launch Edition: 99.000€ ($112k)
Contrary to US MSRPs In Germany prices always includes 19% tax, so removing that leaves a price of 82.193€ ($93k)
But the Launch edition is not the base C8 Corvette, it's a 3LT with Z51 package and Magnetic Ride. The US MSRP for this equipment is starting at $78,840.

Add that Chevy has to pay customs for importing the car to europe (which is 10% of the value of the car!), pay for getting an EU homologation, etc. and you should come to the conclusion that the price is pretty fair for a fully equipped C8. Dealers who are importing the C8 by themself are demaning more than 120k€ für a 3LT+Z51, so Chevy undercuts this price by a good amount.

Of course I wished we get the 1LT too that is marketed with unter 60k in the US. But we will have to see how the announced 2LT+Z51 base model will be priced here.

The only thing that is "outragoues" here is the 10% customs on imported cars, while US only demands 2.5% customs on european cars. That's why overall Mustangs, Camaros and the Corvette have this price bump here.

According to another post, we’ll know tomorrow at 6am EST
Didn't saw that post, do you have a link?

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Thank you @Twin Turbo. Seems like they announce just the Mach 1 and not the whole refresh. So only a few hours until release, can't wait. :like:

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Thank you @Twin Turbo. Seems like they announce just the Mach 1 and not the whole refresh. So only a few hours until release, can't wait. :like:
Yes, with job 1 for '21MY still being over 6 months away, I think any announcement with regards the whole refresh will not happen for another 3 months or so.

I'm hoping they show some interior shots of the Mach 1, as I'm interested to know if it (and the rest of the range) will get Sync 4 and, if so, if that means any further changes to the interior.

Reactions: Ace

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Well.... The styling looks good.

But re-branded Bullitt with a few more 350 sprinkles it is! :like:

Now with an almost certain $50k plus price tag incoming, it is exactly what I thought it was going to be and reflects near ZERO effort on Fords part IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.