Sponsored

21" Wheels

spdracer50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP
Hi Everyone,

I was looking at the 3D Carbon car from SEMA and it got me wondering has anyone seen 21" wheels on a new 2015 mustang?

I know that the 3D carbon car has 22" wheels on it, which is not practical but, how about running 21" wheels.

It would fill up the wheel well really nice and you wouldn't have to drop it as much. :headbang:

I'm interested in seeing a setup if anyone knows of one please post a pic.

Example: 3D Carbon.

Sponsored

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
I honestly think even 20's are plenty on this car! Im a fan of 19's on it i think they look the best based on the way the body lines are and the style of the car. 19's with the car lowered a a little bit look the best to me.. I think if you like 21's .. 20's will really give it the same look and will be easier to get tires for. JMO..

rvshehata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I prefer the 19" too. It's a perfect mix of wheel size and enough rubber to cushion the road.

Max57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 1957 Chevy BelAir
I just had to respond to this thread even though I don't have a Mustang, yet!

I know everyone has their own taste and/or preference regarding wheel size. Is it the looks and increased handling that make most prefer the larger wheels? 19s, 20s and now even 21s?

The larger the wheel, the more it will feel like you're riding on cement blocks. Every little road imperfection will be felt more as the wheel size increases and God knows what that will also do to the car's body integrity possibly causing more rattles that you would normally get as time passes. At least that's been my experience riding in friends cars that have larger wheels styles.

For me, my priority is comfort. If I'm ever able to order my Eco (which will also have the PP), my very first change will be to put 18" wheels back on her. If I could get away with 17s I'd go that route, but from what I've heard, the 17's wouldn't clear the front calipers.

Call me 'Old School' (which I definitely am), but I also prefer the looks of the smaller wheels with the larger side wall tires.

Again, each to their own. It all boils down to doing what makes you happy with your ride.

Enjoy those beautiful Mustangs! :thumbsup:

Sponsored

OP
OP
spdracer50

spdracer50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know MAD Industries did a 21" wheel set up on their SEMA car, with a 255/30/21 and a 305/30/21. I think it was a perfect set up along with a bit of lowering. Here is a couple of links:
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-co...-mad-industries-2015-mustang-sema-585x388.jpg
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/03-mad-industries-2015-mustang-sema.jpg
That looks sweet! The 21" wheels look really clean on that car! The color combo helps a lot too..

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
I prefer the 19" too. It's a perfect mix of wheel size and enough rubber to cushion the road.
I agree.. especially if you live were the roads suck with pot holes and everything else.. look great plus just enough cushion.

rvshehata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Not to open a can here......alot of the German and Italian cars run hard on 30 series tires and look pretty doing so. I think with the S550 new body style and low profile tires/ large wheels (21"max, not 22"), it shows the mustang moving from traditional muscle car tendencies to world class performance car territory with the American Muscle power plant. IMO.

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Not to open a can here......alot of the German and Italian cars run hard on 30 series tires and look pretty doing so. I think with the S550 new body style and low profile tires/ large wheels (21"max, not 22"), it shows the mustang moving from traditional muscle car tendencies to world class performance car territory with the American Muscle power plant. IMO.
To each his/her own. Those extremely low profile tires are not practical for performance or comfort. There's a reason formula 1 and nascar don't use them.
car2.jpg
car1.jpg

Sponsored

rvshehata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I agree with you Robb.....but we are still talking about everyday street cars for most of everyone's application. In the past life I was a bit of a wheel whore, I like to think of wheels as "shoes". I don't wear flip flops everyday or to church, but every once and a while I like to put a nice pair of dress shoes and be fancy'n shit.

OP
OP
spdracer50

spdracer50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To each his/her own. Those extremely low profile tires are not practical for performance or comfort. There's a reason formula 1 and nascar don't use them.
I see that I've opened a can of worms here! My intention wasn't to start a debate of which one is better. It was simply to see if it could be done in such a way that made the mustang look like a bit more exotic yet still be used as a daily driver.

I can see both perspectives. Using the smaller wheel leaves you room for a thicker tire. Using a larger wheel gives a more exotic look but you feel every bump in the road. With the different brand tires available these days I think I should be able to pull off both the exotic look with comfortable ride. It may not feel like the car is floating on air but, it sure would look nice.

As for comparing the Mustang to race car, I've got news for you were not driving formula one cars or a nascar. I think what rvshehata was referring to was the GT series which the Mustang does race in.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
There are a number of brands that provide 21s i havent seen a setup yet but im very certain itll look badass. Theres some brands off the top of my head if youd like any info let me know.