AcceptableNebula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Harness Reroute Part 1

I haven't found wiring daunting for over 25 years. Figured this part of the TT project would be the easiest. Extending a couple wires is nothing, especially with the correct Delphi terminals and tools.

This is still an easy project if you are okay with hacking up or not even running an inner fender. I don't see a lot of finished pictures of it, well at least in a Gen 3 10R car. The provided brackets place the fuse box in the path the inner fender. That required removing over an inch off the bracket. Modifying the back of the fuse box to remove some of the dead air space allowed me to bring the fuse box an extra inch closer and further forward. This final resting position still contacts the inner fender but without any tension on it.

The adjuster cable for the fog light contacts the fuse box cover, so I started looking at aftermarket fog lights/turn signals. Turns out the Diode Dynamics product has a single hex head adjuster. So I bought those and that solved that problem. That's what I tell myself at least. I was definitely swayed by the different look of the light, and brighter features. The black surround on them is a better match than the stock chrome.

Of all the videos I watched there was 1 common concern with the install. Everyone was worried about the main harness from the fuse box being sandwiched between the inner fender and the chassis. I don't think that area sees a ton of stress but I figured I could come up with something.

I took a block of Fortal 7075, a very strong aluminum, and machined out the shape of the harness that crosses that junction. Cut that shape out of the car, secured into place with structural panel bond, and riveted into place with stainless rivets.

I figured that the inner wheel well color would just be Rapid Red without the pearl coat. Clearly I was wrong but I don't think it really matters.

The drivers side was more straight forward. No modifications were required. At this point, only the motor harnesses are in the engine bay.

20230527_164407.jpg

20230528_123554.jpg

20230528_145204.jpg

20230617_191138.jpg

20230706_104817.jpg

20230601_130840.jpg

20230601_130859.jpg

OP
OP
AcceptableNebula

AcceptableNebula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
Turbo Coating/Update

Didn't have a lot of time today but I was able to sandblast texture the cold side turbo housings and Cerakote them with Glacier Silver ceramic coating. Not that I need the functionality of ceramic, but it does offer a tough good looking finish.

The 12an Pushlok 90 also arrived so I was able to make sure my new fitting worked. Tomorrow I will make the bracket to secure it and anodize both pieces.

20230707_195543.jpg

20230706_160932.jpg

OP
OP
AcceptableNebula

AcceptableNebula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
Billet Blues

I'm sure you've seen me mention the delay the valve covers caused in the build. Some from the shape but some are from the design.

When I installed the covers, I noticed there was no flexibility in positioning the cover. Usually there is a minor amount of movement available, but this was locked in place. The screw heads cut into the counterbores on different sides, so I assumed those counterbores just weren't big enough. I locked the covers down and went on. While messing around with the water pump, I noticed I could see the valve cover gasket. I decided to take them off. What I found was shocking to me. Perhaps my expectations are too high because I have the ability to machine things myself at a relatively high level.

First issue was the gasket path. It goes up and then back down again while the factory cover goes straight. That's the area that overhangs my front cover. So I figured I would put a gauge pin in each hole, and do some math, then open them up to the maximum possible, leaving at least 0.035" wall between the gasket and the hole.

After opening the perimeter holes, I had to do the 3 bolts by the HPFP. The 0.272" gauge pin did not fit, so I dropped in size until 0.269" fit in the bore. I noticed at that point the counterbore was not concentric with the center bore. In my opinion, this is the reason the cover would not move. The bolt head was removing the anodizing from the counter bore, and the threads were removing the opposite side of the bore. You can see where the chamfer operation only did one side of the bore, because it was not concentric to the location of the chamfer operation.

So I fixed all that, but the gasket is still barely on the gasket surface. I asked MMR to make me a new cover once they fixed the operation and gasket path. They said none of their covers leak, so they aren't fixing anything or making me a new cover.

Needless to say, I won't be using anymore of their stuff. What's funny is they quote themselves as a sales pitch saying they can't have a leaking cover at 265 mph (paraphrased). The gasket routing off the gasket mating surface would be a major cause of a leak. In my humble opinion of course.

To go with my billet blues, I made the water pump fitting and bracket out of 7075 aluminum. Apparently it has a secret to anodize, that I have not discovered. The fitting face is hard and you can tell it is anodized. I just can't get it to accept the amount of dye needed for proper coloring. I stripped it all off with sodium hydroxide and did it over again. Leaving it cooking for an extra 15 minutes and doubling the amperage to 5 amps per fitting had the same exact effect. Looking like I will be trying the standard Cerakote on these fittings instead. Very excited to try it. It is used on firearms all over and offers similar properties.

To finish of my bad luck with billet, my front wheels came in after 9 weeks. Someone forgot to mill the matching pockets in the spokes so they are making me another set now. Can't make this shit up.

20230623_133359.jpg

20230623_133408.jpg

20230624_163601.jpg

20230624_164411.jpg

20230625_185954.jpg

20230625_190929.jpg

20230710_152734.jpg

20230706_123639.jpg

Screenshot_20230711_214238_Brave.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

davidkrocks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Convertible
Billet Blues

I'm sure you've seen me mention the delay the valve covers caused in the build. Some from the shape but some are from the design.

When I installed the covers, I noticed there was no flexibility in positioning the cover. Usually there is a minor amount of movement available, but this was locked in place. The screw heads cut into the counterbores on different sides, so I assumed those counterbores just weren't big enough. I locked the covers down and went on. While messing around with the water pump, I noticed I could see the valve cover gasket. I decided to take them off. What I found was shocking to me. Perhaps my expectations are too high beucase I have the ability to machine things myself at a relatively high level.

First issue was the gasket path. It goes up and then back down again while the factory cover goes straight. That's the area that overhangs my front cover. So I figured I would put a gauge pin in each hole, and do some math, then open them up to the maximum possible, leaving at least 0.035" wall between the gasket and the hole.

After opening the perimeter, I had to do the 3 bolts by the HPFP. The 0.272" gauge pin did not fit, so I dropped in size until 0.269" fit in the bore. I noticed at that point the counterbore was not concentric with the center bore. This is the reason the cover would not move. The bolt head was removing the anodizing from the counter bore, and the threads were removing the opposite side of the bore. You can see where the chamfer operation only did one side of the bore, because it was not concentric to the location of the chamfer operation.

So I fixed all that, but the gasket is still barely on the gasket surface. I asked MMR to make me a new cover once they fixed the operation and gasket path. They said none of their covers leak, so they aren't fixing anything or making me a new cover.

Needless to say, I won't be using anymore of their stuff.

To go with my billet blues, I made the water pump fitting and bracket out of 7075 aluminum. Apparently it has a secret to anodize, that I have not discovered. The fitting face is hard and you can tell it is anodized. I just can't get it to accept the amount of dye needed for proper coloring. I stripped it all off with sodium hydroxide and did it over again. Leaving it cooking for an extra 15 minutes and doubling the amperage to 5 amps per fitting had the same exact effect. Looking like I will be trying the standard Cerakote on these fittings instead. Very excited to try it. It is used on firearms all over and offers similar properties.

To finish of my bad luck with billet, my front wheels came in after 9 weeks. Someone forgot to mill the matching pockets in the spokes so they are making me another set now. Can't make this shit up.

20230623_133359.jpg

20230623_133408.jpg

20230624_163601.jpg

20230624_164411.jpg

20230625_185954.jpg

20230625_190929.jpg

20230710_152734.jpg

20230706_123639.jpg
That's a pretty big shame about the billet covers. Holy smokes, it goes to show you who stands by their products.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Do you at least get to keep the wheels they forgot to mill completely? They look totally custom.

OP
OP
AcceptableNebula

AcceptableNebula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
Do you at least get to keep the wheels they forgot to mill completely? They look totally custom.
Sshhhh... They haven't mentioned sending them back yet lol. I have 4 20x11 rears so I could have R888Rs and Nt555 G2s for putting around. Would be cool to have 2 sets of fronts too.

OP
OP
AcceptableNebula

AcceptableNebula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
That's a pretty big shame about the billet covers. Holy smokes, it goes to show you who stands by their products.
In their defense, they did offer to take them back. However, I had already altered my turbo piping around them so they are going on. Winter will be here before long, so I will evaluate my options then.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AcceptableNebula

AcceptableNebula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
Thermostat Relocation Part 1

Since my wastegates ended up being very close to lower radiator hose, I decided I would probably just use a remote tstat housing and clean up that crazy hose setup for the bypass and tstat.

I ordered one from MMR about a month ago. Funny that I had to buy it off ebay because they appear to be in a Remote Thermostat Housing war with I can only assume (aka guess) UPR. On ebay you can find it for 57.99 with free shipping. If you are a loyal customer and buy directly off their site, you'll find it there for 69.99, and you'll have to pay for shipping. So since I won't be using their stuff anymore, I went ahead and went to UPRs website and bought their tstat housing for 58.99 plus shipping. Clearly, I am a complete moron because they do the same thing, and sell it for 54.99 with free shipping on ebay as well. Anyway I digress...

I also couldn't find a one piece fitting to adapt the Gen 3 water pump directly to the lower radiator hose. So I just decided to make my own since I was going to be doing Cerakote later today anyway.

Started out with a 4" slug of 6061 and created a love child between the factory tstat housing and the factory lower radiator hose fitting.

I textured them all with 100 grit aluminum oxide and coated them with H series Cerakote, graphite black. Shit seems promising but only time will tell how durable the coating really is.

Once the UPR housing arrives, I'll do a side by side comparsion. A remote tstat housing shootout. No opinions, just measurements, pictures, and facts.

Screenshot_20230712_171930_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230712_172121_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20230712_172618_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230712_172748_Gallery.jpg

IMG_20230711_185230_01.jpg

20230712_112015.jpg

20230712_113807.jpg

20230712_113829.jpg

20230712_120158.jpg

20230712_174512.jpg

20230712_174522.jpg

20230712_174740.jpg

OP
OP
AcceptableNebula

AcceptableNebula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
On3 Turbo Kit - Cont'd

Well after staring at the crooked turbo for the last few weeks, I just couldn't deal anymore. I started googling pictures of On3 installs and all the drivers turbos are installed at an angle. It's the only natural orientation that I could get where the rest of the downpipe was not hitting something. I had clearanced the downpipe with the press but it still was closer to the behemoth valve cover than I wanted. So I cut a 1/4" pie slice out of the vband elbow at the turbo and that allowed me to straighten the turbo out. However, the downpipe was now hitting the valve cover. So I cut in a piece of 3" pipe to give me the clearance I needed. Welded everything back up and textured the pipe in preparation for ceramic coating. After checking the fit, I realized I was completely out of steam so it will get coated tomorrow. The good news is the fit is so good, the centering tabs on the 2 Vbands will hold the pipe in place without a clamp.

On another note, since my miserable MMR experience, I've been looking thru the UPR website. I decided to order their rear shock mounts. I liked the design and the concept. They arriced today and they seem very nice. A few extra machining marks from being a bit aggressive with a ball end mill, but other than that they are very nice. I wish they were coated but I will Cerakote them on my next batch.

Screenshot_20230713_204426_Gallery.jpg

20230713_205051.jpg

20230714_185140.jpg

20230714_213631.jpg

20230714_213644.jpg

20230714_214538.jpg

OP
OP
AcceptableNebula

AcceptableNebula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
PP Radiator/BMR Subframe

Was able to get the drivers downpipe Cerakoted today. Feels good to finally clamp that in for the final time. Will just have to fix the little pipe that goes around the steering shaft. At no point did that ever come close to fitting.

With the turbo finally in place, I was going to connect the charge pipe to the it. Clearly, the kit wants the turbo at an angle. The gap is pretty obvious. For now, I will just use a 30⁰ silicone coupler. I will add this to the winter piping correction list.

Changed out the stock GT radiator for the PP radiator. The core is 0.450" wider. I wasn't going to change it, but at this point it was about 20 minutes to swap it out. Adding the turbos to the coolant system and parking a 3.5" intercooler in front of the radiator, this just made sense.

Earlier, got rid of the factory subframe as well for the street/strip BMR Subframe. It saves 20 lbs and makes getting to stuff a lot easier. The fit is just OK but that's what I personally have come to expect from BMR products. Each bolt rides on one side of the the hole, so even with the engine supported there was minimal adjustment possible. Overall it does seem solid.

I spent a bit if time searching for a billet radiator hose tee for my bypass loop. I just couldn't seen to find one smaller than 1.5x0.625 and I just want a 1/2" bypass. I got a 1/2" check with a 2 psi cracking pressure. Although the dynamic pressure of the flowing coolant should minimize the amount of bypass, the factory tstat has a spring loaded bypass that opens around 2 psi. Full open is ~7psi. They didn't put that in for nothing. Since I am already adding the heat from my turbos to the cooling system, I'm just trying to avoid unnecessary heat circling back into the engine. So I started my tee fitting. Should have time to finish it in the next few days. It was less time carving it out of 7075 than I spent searching the internet for one.

20230715_210254.jpg

20230715_181937.jpg

20230715_183207.jpg

20230715_184132.jpg

20230715_211256.jpg