2022 GT, aftermarket CAI, K&N???

n2ofusion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6M
They make a slightly larger one as well. Their own dyno showed this to have a bigger gain, but I don’t really notice it after installation.

You also hear more noises. I enjoyed the CAI sound on previous cars but here it just adds noise. No turning back now but I don’t see much improvement over the stock air box and think the OEM did a better job with fit/finish and overall sound, including the sound tube

“ 63-2605 K&N PERFORMANCE AIR INTAKE SYSTEM”

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
I personally do not like that intake as it's an open box meaning you will have higher IATs from the engine bay air. I would go with a closed-air box as they do not heat soak as badly. Airaid makes a very good air box for the GT, as does JLT.

You can order both of these options through us along with a tune to get the most out of your car!

Let me know if you have any questions!

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
I think the general consensus here is to just use a drop in K&N filter and get a tune. The factory airbox is pretty good as is.

Sponsored

OP
OP
racerdave

racerdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convert 17 GMC Sierra 15 Terrain
I personally do not like that intake as it's an open box meaning you will have higher IATs from the engine bay air. I would go with a closed-air box as they do not heat soak as badly. Airaid makes a very good air box for the GT, as does JLT.

You can order both of these options through us along with a tune to get the most out of your car!

Let me know if you have any questions!
I thought it seals against the hood with the weatherstrip? Not looking for a tune, car has 3 years of warranty. If I wanted tune I would do Fords performance tune/airbox to keep full warranty

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
I thought it seals against the hood with the weatherstrip? Not looking for a tune, car has 3 years of warranty. If I wanted tune I would do Fords performance tune/airbox to keep full warranty
If it were me and I didn't want to tune, I would just not bother with any CAI. You will maybe see 2-3hp on a good day without a tune. The tune is what compliments that air filter and will wake the car up on its own even without any CAI.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
updating Christmas list...... no CAI, keep the new springs tho

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
I just installed the 63-2605 over the weekend, and I like it. I doubt it adds the ~22 horsepower that K&N claims, but for a no tune required intake, there is a noticeable extra punch at high RPM. The added sound is just a bonus.

If K&N is still running their black Friday/cyber Monday deals, I'd say go for it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It's a nice "HAI" unit... 😁

Pass on it.

Also there's many threads on here that discuss in length how/why the factory closed air box is really beneficial to the S550 over nearly any aftermarket open "CAI" (HAI).

The only way an open air box is or can be beneficial is if it's being used to its design element on an open track where RPM and MPH is not only extreme, but is also sustained with no "down" interval. Putting such a unit on a daily driver or street car that is used in stop-n-go traffic and sitting behind other vehicles pushing off heat - there is absolutely NO benefit at all, none. There's really no benefit either if being able to breakaway from traffic and maintain 70mph for 2-5 miles...because you're going to come to a stop again...at which point IATs will instantly shoot up.

Keep with the stock box or go with an aftermarket unit that is also a closed box, but may have a better intake tube as well (internally smooth and less bends).

If your S550 will be used as a dedicated track vehicle (80% or greater) for road racing, drag racing or auto-x and it has other extreme engine mods, then sure an open air box would be better suited to that type of use.

I can already hear it... you're going to say "Well, Ford did offer factory open air boxes on some S550's" - true. But Ford or Ford Performance also designed those boxes for specific S550's and their tune. Those Ford box designs were not a totally "open" design, as they did buffer the filter element (somewhat) from under hood temps when the hood was closed. Their boxes were not totally "open air dumps" like some aftermarket units allowing excessive heat to be drawn into the engine.

Not every mod that everyone has (or is advertised) will be beneficial to ALL of us - it's how the vehicle will be used, what mods it has (or will have), is it N/A or forced induction and is its use dedicated track time than say grocery getter time/take it out for 1.5 hours on a weekend.

Sponsored
OP
OP
racerdave

racerdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convert 17 GMC Sierra 15 Terrain
Thanks to everyone that has replied. I didn’t state it but will say part of my wanting a CAI is they look kool with the hood up. I know that is only for my eyes then.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning

L8YTHOR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amanda
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I just installed the 63-2605 over the weekend, and I like it. I doubt it adds the ~22 horsepower that K&N claims, but for a no tune required intake, there is a noticeable extra punch at high RPM. The added sound is just a bonus.

If K&N is still running their black Friday/cyber Monday deals, I'd say go for it.
Hey all, I just joined today. For a good 4 weeks I've been reading about cold air intakes. I installed this same k&n on my 2022 GT and from day 1 started getting P061B code. If driven lightly it did fine but I could never step on it without it kicking into limp mode and throwing that code.

Chris is the first person I've found that Installed it. And it seems fine for him.

My car is a manual. Anyway long story short after tons of trouble shooting and a double install with the support of k&n and their generosity, I put my stock intake on. I hate how ugly it is but also am grateful for problem free driving.

Has anyone else with late model 2022 gts or 2023s found a sure fire Intake that doesn't require a tune that they can still drive hard with no issue?

I know there is tons of evidence that the stock intake is better and I am generally a proponent of leaving cars stock for longevity. I'm just disappointed I cannot have a better looking intake haha. Anyway, if anyone happens to see this I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

Thanks!
Amanda

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
It's a nice "HAI" unit... 😁

Pass on it.

Also there's many threads on here that discuss in length how/why the factory closed air box is really beneficial to the S550 over nearly any aftermarket open "CAI" (HAI).

The only way an open air box is or can be beneficial is if it's being used to its design element on an open track where RPM and MPH is not only extreme, but is also sustained with no "down" interval. Putting such a unit on a daily driver or street car that is used in stop-n-go traffic and sitting behind other vehicles pushing off heat - there is absolutely NO benefit at all, none. There's really no benefit either if being able to breakaway from traffic and maintain 70mph for 2-5 miles...because you're going to come to a stop again...at which point IATs will instantly shoot up.

Keep with the stock box or go with an aftermarket unit that is also a closed box, but may have a better intake tube as well (internally smooth and less bends).

If your S550 will be used as a dedicated track vehicle (80% or greater) for road racing, drag racing or auto-x and it has other extreme engine mods, then sure an open air box would be better suited to that type of use.

I can already hear it... you're going to say "Well, Ford did offer factory open air boxes on some S550's" - true. But Ford or Ford Performance also designed those boxes for specific S550's and their tune. Those Ford box designs were not a totally "open" design, as they did buffer the filter element (somewhat) from under hood temps when the hood was closed. Their boxes were not totally "open air dumps" like some aftermarket units allowing excessive heat to be drawn into the engine.

Not every mod that everyone has (or is advertised) will be beneficial to ALL of us - it's how the vehicle will be used, what mods it has (or will have), is it N/A or forced induction and is its use dedicated track time than say grocery getter time/take it out for 1.5 hours on a weekend.
Agreed after a lot of reading and going through YT videos seeing the AITs and how they rose with open air box filters I ended up throwing in a K&N filter in my stock box. Mines not a daily and to be honest I have to drive 30 min to do “in town” driving. So majority of my drives are highway, but I can’t make it make sense in my head to drop 400 dollars to have hotter air coming in and truly not seeing a real difference. Many folks are making 450+ rwhp on a stock air box and a drop in filter.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
It kind of seals but definitely would be looking at higher iats for no real gain (possible loss of power if iats are high enough). 18+ oem intake flows efficiently just needs a better filter added and carbon trap removed on the newer versions.

Also, the statement about the Ford Performance kit is slightly incorrect. The 3rd party warranty (Ford Performance is after market not factory) replaces the factory warranty for items related to the kit or attributed to the tune. But keep in mind in general, you could custom tune for e85 etc and it would not "void" a warranty, you just run the risk of them denying a warranty claim if they attribute it. But if you go in for warranty work on the ac for example, or anything unrelated, the tune / kit would be irrelevant. Just fyi.
Sponsored