Sponsored

2020 GT500 vs Redeye Drag Racing StangMode vs Mod2fame

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I agree. My kitty does way better on M/T ET Street R's vs a stock tire. It will get out of the hole on drag radials.

I will say driving the 40 miles to the track on the street legal drag radials was less than desirable. They have a lot of side wall and flex. The ass end felt very floaty anytime I changed lanes. Definatley a drag strip tire. No way I would run on the street if doing some spirited driving that involved anything other than a straight line.

This is interesting. The GT500 has consistently higher trap speeds but it won't 60ft as well which will be the death of it in the 1/4 mile. I think the why of it not 60ft'ing hard has already been beaten to death. Prep, tire, and driver will matter a lot. Apparently the Redeye's best pass of the day was 10.44 @128.62. GT500 was 10.80 @ 130. Same day, same cars, same track conditions , R compound tires and within an hour is the report.

That being said that is the blessing and curse of the Hellcat platform. It's a track monster but it NEEDS a good tire and prep sure don't hurt. NT05s are shit on the Hellcat in my experience but probably a very good and equal comparison tire for the R888. It would do better on an ET Street R....like waaaaay better but it really needs it and the GT500 does not. I don't think the GT500 would benefit as much from improved rubber but maybe? Saw the same thing with the ZL1 where Drag radials only resulted in marginal improvement. With the big Cat it's night and day on appropriate tire.

It will be good to see these two in the hands of more drivers going head to head.
Sponsored

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0

Did stangmode state the tire psi he was running?

The gt500 guys keep telling me im crazy, but 16 cold 17 warm psi has been absolutely perfect for me, and they dont want to listen lol. They all stay near 20​
Stangmode is like you and does none of the mods on his cars, but I would think he knows how to lower the tire pressure.LOL

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Do not forget that in this video neither car is on stock rear tires.

Hellcat Redeye - 18" Nitto NT05 tires
Shelby GT500 - 20" Toyo R888R tires

This track was not exceptionally well prepped. Tang_Stang_GT500 was struggling to get a 60' worth a damn after pulling 1.5's and 1.7's in Florida for weeks.
I thought the track and weather conditions were pretty dam good with those sixty foot times.Not Hero Atco.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I thought the track and weather conditions were pretty dam good with those sixty foot times.Not Hero Atco.
Even stangmode had to limit his launch rpm to 2300rpm that day at stock power levels. When my buddy Lee (driver of the orange car in the background) was in Florida and ran his 9.70 he was hooking 3200rpm launches and running 9.70's with 880+whp. On that strip on the same day he had to pull power and drop rpm to get it to walk out of the hole in 1st gear. They just weren't able to put down the power to get from the 1.8-1.9 range down into the 1.5 and 1.6 range like they could have on a better track.

Even the first run with the Hellcat the driver spun the tires and they had to alter the launch technique on the rest of the runs.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
What am I missing here? Stangmode wins 2 out of 3 on a technicality. If the Redeye driver doesn't redlight it is 2 out of 3 for them. The Redeye beat the GT500 in 2 out of 3 races timewise no?

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
What am I missing here? Stangmode wins 2 out of 3 on a technicality. If the Redeye driver doesn't redlight it is 2 out of 3 for them. The Redeye beat the GT500 in 2 out of 3 races timewise no?
That’s the way I see it too

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Correct. However in drag racing if you red light you automatically lose.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Correct. However in drag racing if you red light you automatically lose.
I 100% get that and that isn't what I'm talking about. I guess I'm kind of surprised this is somewhat being celebrated here as a "win" that's all.

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I 100% get that and that isn't what I'm talking about. I guess I'm kind of surprised this is somewhat being celebrated here as a "win" that's all.
I understand. Like I said before, the Redeye on a tire will be faster than the GT500 on a drag strip with very good prep.

On your average drag strip GT500 vs Redeye will be a drivers race.
On a very well prepped drag strip the Redeye will win 9 times out of 10
On stock tires at a drag strip the GT500 will win 9 times out of 10
From a dig on the street on stock tires the GT500 will win.
Roll races will be won by whoever gets the jump.
GT500 will be faster then a Redeye in a roll race but only by a little bit. Like I said before, whoever gets the jump will win.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The first post said the redeye will win 9 out of 10 on a well prepped track in the OPs opinion. I guess im not seeing the same victory dance your seeing.

Sponsored

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 17 Charger HC, 16 Challenger HC
I agree. My kitty does way better on M/T ET Street R's vs a stock tire. It will get out of the hole on drag radials.

I will say driving the 40 miles to the track on the street legal drag radials was less than desirable. They have a lot of side wall and flex. The ass end felt very floaty anytime I changed lanes. Definatley a drag strip tire. No way I would run on the street if doing some spirited driving that involved anything other than a straight line.
Thats why on my modded Cat I run the 305 NT555Rs on the street. Very little if any sway with those on 20 inch wheels. Of course I run wider (11inch) forged wheels to not the factory 20x9.5s. The ET Street Rs I usually only use at the track but sometimes on the street depending on the occasion. I will drive to the track with em on. 555R's are kinda "good enough" for street use and definitely much better when newer. When I wear this set out I'm probably gonna try the ET Street SS just because.

Anyway back to the subject sorta.... If I ever twin turbo the GT350 I'll probably go the R888. Seems to be the go to tire of the Fathouse Fab guys. If I end up with a GT500 I'll probably go that route as well. Are the GT500 Wheels 20x11s? on all 4 corners?

Anybody know what the track conditions were? Just curious. I know where that track is if anybody knows the date and time I can look up the Density Altitude etc.... In good DA my stock Hellcat ran 10.7s at 128-129 mph dead hooking on the Street R. Just curious how it stacks up against the GT500 stock for stock. Stang Mode's best was a 10.8 with some spin and who knows what the DA was. I know the 500 is faster than a stock cat I'm just wondering by how much. Stock record still 10.6 yes?

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Even stangmode had to limit his launch rpm to 2300rpm that day at stock power levels. When my buddy Lee (driver of the orange car in the background) was in Florida and ran his 9.70 he was hooking 3200rpm launches and running 9.70's with 880+whp. On that strip on the same day he had to pull power and drop rpm to get it to walk out of the hole in 1st gear. They just weren't able to put down the power to get from the 1.8-1.9 range down into the 1.5 and 1.6 range like they could have on a better track.

Even the first run with the Hellcat the driver spun the tires and they had to alter the launch technique on the rest of the runs.
I know you guys want and are waiting on hero track and weather conditions at Atco, but these are the conditions most of us have to race on if we are lucky..Just Saying

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
The first post said the redeye will win 9 out of 10 on a well prepped track in the OPs opinion. I guess im not seeing the same victory dance your seeing.
Yeah but that's only because the GT500 didn't have bald tires.....and they didn't bring in a "Blue stock car" and the GT500 had all of it's aero attached....:cwl:

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Stangmode is like you and does none of the mods on his cars, but I would think he knows how to lower the tire pressure.LOL
you have less knowledge of me than you do about the gt500, which is already a laughable amount

yes, they pulled roughly 40hp from the orange car

they wanted a heads up race, that negates the time, its 1st to cross, with a clean start of course. so the race they wanted, they lost 2/3.

I know you guys want and are waiting on hero track and weather conditions at Atco, but these are the conditions most of us have to race on if we are lucky..Just Saying
so in your mind, a redeye with non stock wheels and tires vs a tire only 500 is fair, or the fact the 500 beat the redeye in unfair conditions has you angry, or do you think the zle would have faired better? im confused on which aggravaes you the most?

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
you have less knowledge of me than you do about the gt500, which is already a laughable amount.
Are you saying you install the mods on your 2020 Shelbygt500?

yes, they pulled roughly 40hp from the orange car

they wanted a heads up race, that negates the time, its 1st to cross, with a clean start of course. so the race they wanted, they lost 2/3.

so in your mind, a redeye with non stock wheels and tires vs a tire only 500 is fair, or the fact the 500 beat the redeye in unfair conditions has you angry, or do you think the zle would have faired better? im confused on which aggravaes you the most?
Sponsored