2020 Died suddenly won't restart???

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Can the dealer see he made changes with forscan and would that void warranty?
They can but to have to look for it as there's no log that would tell them. Most of the time they will just reset everything.
Sponsored

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
My old 300zx died like that on the road in traffic one time. Turned out it was just a fusible link.

OP
OP
Stezlaki

Stezlaki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I hope he understands my point. Document everything, don't wait till you meet the local lemon laws.
Yeah, I definitely get it. I've always done basic maintenance on my own cars and have a REALLY good (independent) mechanic that I know and trust to do everything else, BUT, with this car, had already decided to involve the dealer even with routine maintenance such as oil changes. I certainly go behind them and double check everything, which, on the one hand kinda defeats the purpose, but I wanted there to be a service history that they could NOT dispute in case (when?) something happened. Of course I was thinking more along the lines of mechanical failure than electrical, but.....

OP
OP
Stezlaki

Stezlaki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Yeah, I was kinda wondering/worried about that too, but the only things 2 things I did were turn off the horn honk, and adjust for the 30 series tires. Both seemed to have the intended results - no more horn honk if I got out of the car while it was running, and the speedometer was correct according to GPS. First time I've done that (FORScan stuff) but it seemed pretty easy and straightforward. Didn't mess with anything else, and again, it ran completely fine until it shut off and that was it. In my mind, if the FORScan manipulation would have been to blame I'd have had codes and/or lights and/or driveability issues right off the bat.

Last edited:

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
My coworker had a similar issue with his GT350, the guy who I was mentoring under knocked on the fuse box under the hood and the car would stumble. Replaced the box and harness and all has been well since. May or may not be the same problem, but worth a shot IMO.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Car has had an easy life so far, always let the cylinder heads get up to 135 degrees or higher before I even move the car,
In the future, may I suggest you shouldnā€™t do this.

Avoid prolonged idling of the engine.

Get in, start, drive. Optionally, redline at least once when itā€™s up to temp every time you take ā€˜er out.

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
A dealer won't be able to see what line of code was altered. All they would do if something didn't look right is reflash it. No different then any other software update Ford comes out with.

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
In the future, may I suggest you shouldnā€™t do this.

Avoid prolonged idling of the engine.

Get in, start, drive. Optionally, redline at least once when itā€™s up to temp every time you take ā€˜er out.
I know prolonged idling is bad but being new to the gt350, why is it so bad to let it idle for a few minutes?

cdh027

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350, 2018 z06
Someone needs to explain why idling for a few minutes is bad. I pull mine out of the garage and let it idle for at least 5 minutes while I'm getting ready to go.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I know prolonged idling is bad but being new to the gt350, why is it so bad to let it idle for a few minutes?
Just to be clear, I advised against prolonged idling.

Thereā€™s been at least a couple of guys who posted their GT350s died while iding. The number of reports is small but itā€™s something the stuck with me.

Kinda like guys finding their oil levels 6 quarts down so I check the oil
before starting ā€˜er up first thing every time I take her out.

Also, depending on where youā€™re at during the break-in process, it canā€™t be good for setting the rings...

How long does it take for the CHT to get to 135? I canā€™t really recall but Iā€™m thinking it may be more than a few minutes. And the OP says he does it every time. Just my two cents it might not be the best thing.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Someone needs to explain why idling for a few minutes is bad. I pull mine out of the garage and let it idle for at least 5 minutes while I'm getting ready to go.
See my opinion above.

Iā€™ll add I like to keep my 5.2 to be under load as much as I can- just my opinion.

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Just to be clear, I advised against prolonged idling.

Thereā€™s been at least a couple of guys who posted their GT350s died while iding. The number of reports is small but itā€™s something the stuck with me.

Kinda like guys finding their oil levels 6 quarts down so I check the oil
before starting ā€˜er up first thing every time I take her out.

Also, depending on where youā€™re at during the break-in process, it canā€™t be good for setting the rings...

How long does it take for the CHT to get to 135? I canā€™t really recall but Iā€™m thinking it may be more than a few minutes. And the OP says he does it every time. Just my two cents it might not be the best thing.
Appreciate the info. As far as CHT, I guess it depends on outside temp. Makes a big difference between a 50 degree day and 90 degree day.

Personally I don't warm my vehicles up if it is above 40 outside. Start it, let it run for 30 seconds and go.

Just didn't know if there was something about the 5.2 as this engine and vehicle is all new to me.

Thanks

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Iā€™ve always been told to listen to your engine builder when it comes to break in and daily operations.
In this case our manuals make it pretty easy to understand.
Now, if you have your engine rebuilt by whoever master engine builder, then I would listen to them..not the Ford manual.
For me, I jump in and go, taking it easy until I hit 190F coolant temp. This means no more than 4K RPM for me.
Iā€˜ve never experienced restricted RPMā€™s as described below....taken from my ā€˜19 owners manual.

11D44073-3D01-4D57-AD0F-C26D8AF44DD9.png

Anybody experience no start due to ā€œtoo lowā€ temps?
It never gets that cold where I live.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Iā€™ve always been told to listen to your engine builder when it comes to break in and daily operations.
In this case our manuals make it pretty easy to understand.
Now, if you have your engine rebuilt by whoever master engine builder, then I would listen to them..not the Ford manual.
For me, I jump in and go, taking it easy until I hit 190F coolant temp. This means no more than 4K RPM for me.
Iā€˜ve never experienced restricted RPMā€™s as described below....taken from my ā€˜19 owners manual.

11D44073-3D01-4D57-AD0F-C26D8AF44DD9.png

Anybody experience no start due to ā€œtoo lowā€ temps?
It never gets that cold where I live.
That's hilarious! My GT350 never has a problem with shifting out park. Maybe I'll get Sharpie and put a "P" on the gearshift knob so I can give it a try.

OP
OP
Stezlaki

Stezlaki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
ON a completely cold engine it takes about 60-120 seconds or so depending on outside temps (here anyway) - I'll time it more closely if I ever get my car back. I'm impatient and always late, so that 2 minutes can be excruciating. I promise it's not much more than that even when its COLD out (well.....you know, like 40 or something......this is SE Georgia), or I couldn't handle it!

I've always thought that jumping in and putting a cold engine under a load right off the bat was a bad idea. Also seems like a bad idea to jump in a car and start driving it when its still in the fast idle stage. My car drops down from a fast idle to a more normal idle (below 1k) as soon as the cylinder head temp passes 135 on my gauges. I know most of y'all know more about this stuff than I do, but I just can't see why letting it warm up for a couple minutes at most until the fast idle drops would be a bad thing. We have stoplights around here that last longer than that.......
Sponsored