2019 Oil Consumption update & Question

ParkCity06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP LR032, 2020 Raptor
This article says the owner had his motor replaced under warranty for oil consumption. If this is a common problem, is this a design flaw, or simply loose tolerances, where some oil consumption within a certain range is normal?

https://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/newsroom/2020/01/kona-bob.html

I have a 2020 R on order, and wonder if the "problem" has been solved, or is this the nature of these motors as I have been reading?

I guess if a design flaw--every motor would have been replaced by now.
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I’ve had oil consumption for quite a while now. A quart every 1500-2000 miles I believe. Just getting to 40,000 miles with no noticeable change in performance, so I think for many it is just the way the engine runs, while for others it gets much worse and becomes a problem.

You really just need to drive the car, enjoy it, and accept that some day you might need a new engine. Or you might not. I think the sooner you beat on it a bit the sooner you will find out how well it will run. I’ve had six track days in mine so far, but it’s been over a year since my last one so I need to get back in the saddle so to speak.

As far as catch cans go, there are two main reasons they are useful, but only one applies to the GT350.

One reason is to minimize the oil going into the intake via the PCV system. The point of the PCV system is to prevent combustion blow by from pressurizing the crank case and forcing vapor through the various seals creating pollution. The PCV system relieves the pressure by sucking vapor through the intake where it is combusted and cleaned by the combustion process and catalytic converters. This vapor will contain oil mist and vapor from windage and IN A DIRECT INJECTED ENGINE can lead to clogged valves over time. So reason number one is to reduce that accumulation. But since the GT350 is port injected, a little oil vapor won’t really hurt anything and a catch can isn’t really needed.

Reason two is to prevent a “bubble” of liquid oil from being sucked into the PCV system when pulling high lateral G’s. If this happens it can foul the airflow sensors in the intake causing the car to enter limp mode. This can be very dangerous on track, especially if someone is close behind you. A catch can is able to catch this oil and prevent it from getting into the intake. This is probably why the track pack on the GT500 comes with a kit from the factory, as that car can sustain very high lateral loads.

I have a friend with a viper, and he had the limp mode thing happen on track and the dodge people said he should get a catch can for that reason.

I have the UPR setup for my GT350, and it is great, but I would love the convenience of the GT500 setup where there is no maintenance required.

if you don’t track, a catch can is mostly for peace of mind since you don’t need it. If you do track, a catch can is a very useful safety measure to prevent a potential limp mode event. They don’t cost much, so even if you just like knowing it is there, it is an inexpensive way to have a bit more confidence in the car, and that is worth something for sure.

-T

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
That was my point - if FP is draining this oil directly back into the crankcase on the flagship GT500 - then how bad can it be?

And I'll throw out a possible reason why they did it - CARB.

From what I understand, a factory-installed system has to be self-draining with no owner intervention required.

We can all purchase aftermarket O/A Seps from FP, and complain that they weren't factory installed, but the reason may very well be they are not CARB-complaint because they have to be serviced.
Just to add. I have 1200 ml on my GT350. Yesterday after driving around for about 60 ml I checked the oil. I regularly checked oil before and didn't noticed any drop of oil. However, yesterday the oil dropped a little just below upper hole in the dipstick. I have passenger's side FP oil separator installed. When I open it it was exactly the same amount of oil inside from what dipstick indicates. So, IMO one of the reason that Ford don't put oil separators from factory is to prevent "oil burn" and subsequently engine failure due to engine overheat(it can be that some owners don't check the oil level or open oil separators). It's better to return oil back to the system than loose entire engine.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
Here is a somewhat unrelated question.. and sort of related

1) it said in the owners manual that the car itself will tell you when the oil changes are needed. But what about the FIRST oil change? If you just wait for the car computer to tell you, will that computer message from the car come earlier since it is during/ after break in?

2) if you do that first oil change early, does the computer have to be 'told' that, so that it doesn't get out of sequence and it tells you to change it, after you already had so it's all out of whack?

3) I know your not supposed to rev sky high during early engine break in. Could you even if you wanted to? Or does the cars computer use a rev limiter to stop it from being possible, until a certain odometer reading anyways (assuming it has a rev limiter) ?

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Here is a somewhat unrelated question.. and sort of related

1) it said in the owners manual that the car itself will tell you when the oil changes are needed. But what about the FIRST oil change? If you just wait for the car computer to tell you, will that computer message from the car come earlier since it is during/ after break in?

2) if you do that first oil change early, does the computer have to be 'told' that, so that it doesn't get out of sequence and it tells you to change it, after you already had so it's all out of whack?

3) I know your not supposed to rev sky high during early engine break in. Could you even if you wanted to? Or does the cars computer use a rev limiter to stop it from being possible, until a certain odometer reading anyways (assuming it has a rev limiter) ?
1 & 2 - Computer does not shorten the interval for the first oil change. If you do your oil before it calls for the change you just reset the oil life read out in the center dash.

3 - Computer will not limit your revs. You must use self-restraint.
Sponsored