Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

Helicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' gt350
I just saw this and not trying to cause anything. But if the new hellcat is pushing 797 horsepower do you think Ford was late to the game with the Gt500 announcement. The teaser says Red797-62818 Rumors are the "red key" may have 797hp

I don't believe it is a matter of "if" ... at least according to Car and Driver. New Hellcat Redeye to have 797 hp. I didn't think the gt500 was expected to be pushing that kind of power, but at this point, who knows....

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/t...t-srt-hellcat-redeye-official-photos-and-info
Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Hellcat Redeye, that's awesome.

If I wanted a cruiser, no doubt I would go Challenger. Ancient platform and all.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Ford marketing department for the Mustang has always suck. Instead of making interesting videos like this they'd rather have their cars debut on Good Morning America and other old school boring stuff like that.
I see a lot of Ford advertising when I'm youtube but I'm not on there all that much. Hackett doesn't want to spend any money on advertising unless it for the F150 if Ford would advertise the Mustang as aggressively as fca does the Challenger and Charger Mustang sales would be through the roof.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
And I dont think that horsepower number means a lot at that point.

and the gt500 having less HP than the hellcat doesn't mean gt500 is behind.
I agree with what you are saying. For instance, if a front engine RWD car has 285 width tires, it won't be super fast in stock configuration no matter how much HP it has.

But past incarnations of the GT500 typically had more HP than the competition. Is Ford still trying to beat the competition with the GT500, or will it be a "me too" model this time around? You have to admit that 720 HP is a yawner at this point (if that's what the number will be).

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I see a lot of Ford advertising when I'm youtube but I'm not on there all that much. Hackett doesn't want to spend any money on advertising unless it for the F150 if Ford would advertise the Mustang as aggressively as fca does the Challenger and Charger Mustang sales would be through the roof.
When I think about Charger / Challenger ads, the first thing that comes to mind is “what else do they have to talk about?” And the answer comes back “not much, so why not hammer the Charger / Challenger ads??” Dodge has Durango, Charger, and Challenger. That’s it. Ram has all the trucks and advertises plenty. Jeep is Jeep and will sell with or without advertising. Chrysler has Pacifica and 300 and advertise the crap out of Pacifica.

Ford has F150, Edge, Explorer, Escape and Mustang to support with advertising and marketing dollars. Mustangs and F150 do a very good job of supporting themselves. F150 needs and gets a lot of ad support because Chevy, GMC, and Ram are not about to slow down their truck ad spending, and trucks is where the $$$ is at.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
I agree with what you are saying. For instance, if a front engine RWD car has 285 width tires, it won't be super fast in stock configuration no matter how much HP it has.

But past incarnations of the GT500 typically had more HP than the competition. Is Ford still trying to beat the competition with the GT500, or will it be a "me too" model this time around? You have to admit that 720 HP is a yawner at this point (if that's what the number will be).
I don't consider 720HP as a "yawner" at all.. If that were the case it would still have more power than the 2019 Hellcat (717HP).

There will be four configurations for the 2019 Challenger Hellcat:

717HP / 656lb-ft SRT Hellcat
717HP / 656lb-ft SRT Hellcat Widebody
797HP / 717lb-ft SRT Hellcat Redeye
797HP / 717lb-ft SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody

In other words this "Redeye" will not be the base Hellcat but a "limited edition" road-car "Demon substitute".

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't consider 720HP as a "yawner" at all.. If that were the case it would still have more power than the 2019 Hellcat (717HP).

There will be four configurations for the 2019 Challenger Hellcat:

717HP / 656lb-ft SRT Hellcat
717HP / 656lb-ft SRT Hellcat Widebody
797HP / 717lb-ft SRT Hellcat Redeye
797HP / 717lb-ft SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody

In other words this "Redeye" will not be the base Hellcat but a "limited edition" road-car "Demon substitute".
OK, so what I am hearing is that the Redeye production numbers will be limited. Are you saying that Ford will not limit the GT500, or are you making a different distinction?

I realize Dodge also sells lower HP Challengers underneath the Hellcat that have 485 or something like that. I wasn't comparing the lower HP models of the cars. I was comparing the top dogs with the high HP numbers. Is there a reason in your opinion to compare the GT500 to a lower model of Dodge? I was thinking the GT500 should compare favorably to the best the competition has to offer.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
OK, so what I am hearing is that the Redeye production numbers will be limited. Are you saying that Ford will not limit the GT500, or are you making a different distinction?

I realize Dodge also sells lower HP Challengers underneath the Hellcat that have 485 or something like that. I wasn't comparing the lower HP models of the cars. I was comparing the top dogs with the high HP numbers. Is there a reason in your opinion to compare the GT500 to a lower model of Dodge? I was thinking the GT500 should compare favorably to the best the competition has to offer.
I'm saying that it's very likely that the Red Eye will be limited to a small number of units (like the Demon was) while the GT500 will be offered pretty much in the same amount of units than before. And again, the "natural competitor" of the GT500 will continue being the regular 717HP Hellcat (unless Ford decides to offer a "more powerful GT500" variant).

Also, FCA said that the SRT Hellcat Red Eye will run the 1/4 of Mile in 10.8s and reach 60MPH in 3.4s....... and honestly, even if the GT500 won't be focused to go against that variant, it SHOULD be in the same ballpark (but with the ability to turn). I don't expect less (I don't care if it has less HP).

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm saying that it's very likely that the Red Eye will be limited to a small number of units (like the Demon was) while the GT500 will be offered pretty much in the same amount of units than before. And again, the "natural competitor" of the GT500 will continue being the regular 717HP Hellcat (unless Ford decides to offer a "more powerful GT500" variant).

Also, FCA said that the SRT Hellcat Red Eye will run the 1/4 of Mile in 10.8s and reach 60MPH in 3.4s....... and honestly, even if the GT500 won't be focused to go against that variant, it SHOULD be in the same ballpark (but with the ability to turn). I don't expect less (I don't care if it has less HP).
3.4 0-60 is pretty quick. Should be interesting...

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/dodg...llenger-srt-hellcat-redeye-first-look-review/

"Like the Hellcat, the Redeye is not a special edition or limited run, Beahm said. “It’s not limited to certain volumes.” He expects the Redeye to account for 7 to 8 percent of total Hellcat sales."

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

It seems to me that the statement “Venom kills Demons” was Ford’s way of suggesting the GT500 would outperform the Demon. Since the Redeye is in essence a slightly detuned Demon, it follows naturally that GT500 will need to outperform the HC Redeye, whatever volumes either automaker chooses to support.

I wouldn’t be too sensitive to the hp numbers. GT500 should not have to match them hp for hp. It will still have significant mass and aero advantages. But at least now the GT500 team has firm numbers to shoot at. 3.4, 10.8, 131, and 203.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
It seems to me that the statement “Venom kills Demons” was Ford’s way of suggesting the GT500 would outperform the Demon. Since the Redeye is in essence a slightly detuned Demon, it follows naturally that GT500 will need to outperform the HC Redeye, whatever volumes either automaker chooses to support.

I wouldn’t be too sensitive to the hp numbers. GT500 should not have to match them number for number. It will still have significant mass and aero advantages. But at least now the GT500 team has firm numbers to shoot at. 3.4, 10.8, and 131, and 203.
Venom kills demons is now an old story, something that the head of marketing messed up having no idea of what he was talking about. There’s no way the GT500 will outperform the Demon (stock vs stock).

Now with the HC Red Eye it MIGHT outperform it, however it’s not completely necessary (that car was never the target). This GT500 is set to go against the ZL1 and that’s it (I’m pretty sure it will “match” Red Eye performance though.... at least the “narrow body” one).

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)
Procharged 2015 Mustang GT PP

Man you know we live in special times when 720hp is referred to as a yawner...lol...i would love to see you yawn with a 720hp anything going full throttle.
Sponsored