2019 GT350 VIR Track Prep

Classic Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 21 Cayman GT4, 2000 Cobra R
Hey guys--I have a stock '19 GT350 with 5,000 miles. It has the "handling package" or whatever, with the Gurney flap. The car has never been tracked, just lightly street driven. I already have the FRPP catch cans installed on both sides.

1) With 5,000 miles, do I need new tires before hitting the track (VIR)? I don't think these are worn much, and it's hard to tell since they are so much like slicks to begin with.
2) Is the stock Motorcraft DOT4 brake fluid OK? Or should I switch to Castrol SRF or Motul? I run Motul 660 in my BRZ and GT4 Porsche.
3) Should I go ahead and swap brake pads or just run the stock ones for a 2-day event? Which brand? I have a driver coach who is fairly aggressive with braking, and we tend to go through brake pads.

I am a somewhat experienced driver and have taken my Cayman GT4 and Subaru BRZ on Sebring/Homestead for 10+ track days, but now I'm taking this GT350 to a 2-day event at VIR (have not driven VIR before).

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Hey guys--I have a stock '19 GT350 with 5,000 miles. It has the "handling package" or whatever, with the Gurney flap. The car has never been tracked, just lightly street driven. I already have the FRPP catch cans installed on both sides.

1) With 5,000 miles, do I need new tires before hitting the track (VIR)? I don't think these are worn much, and it's hard to tell since they are so much like slicks to begin with.
2) Is the stock Motorcraft DOT4 brake fluid OK? Or should I switch to Castrol SRF or Motul? I run Motul 660 in my BRZ and GT4 Porsche.
3) Should I go ahead and swap brake pads or just run the stock ones for a 2-day event? Which brand? I have a driver coach who is fairly aggressive with braking, and we tend to go through brake pads.

I am a somewhat experienced driver and have taken my Cayman GT4 and Subaru BRZ on Sebring/Homestead for 10+ track days, but now I'm taking this GT350 to a 2-day event at VIR (have not driven VIR before).

Thanks in advance.
Definitely change your brake fluid if you are an experienced driver. For beginners with the GT350 the stock brake fluid is fine, but if you're fast then I'd throw some RBF660 in it. The stock pads should be good, but the same rules apply, if your fast throw some DTC-60 or 30 on them, especially if you're aggressive with them. Even the 350 is a heavy fast car, it takes a lot to slow them down!

If they are Michelin Cup 2 tires then 5k is nearing the end of their life, I would just make sure they have at least 5 tenths of tread left.

For 2 day events you want to "over prepare" as you have to do everything twice with very little opportunity to fix or change large components.

Also VIR is a FAST track, so much fun, but definitely fast.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
VIR is my favourite track. You will have a lot of fun. Post some pictures of your tires, that way we know what they look like. What are the temps going to be like for the event? If below 50F I would consider something other than the SC2. I usually run my PSS on colder days. I've had some pretty sketchy morning sessions with the SC2s in colder temps. If cold and wet, then leave the SC2s at home.

I would start with a fresh set of OEM pads so that you have the full 9.5mm of material to play with. Then just monitor those throughout the event so see how they wear. OEM pads are great for the track in my experience. Also, make sure you check the inner pad, not just the outer pad. I've had the inner pad wear down 2x faster than outer on some tracks (VIR among them). I have never had a problem with the stock brake fluid personally; I just make sure it is fresh. You can test water content by using a DOT4 fluid tester from Amazon.

OP
OP
Classic Muscle

Classic Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 21 Cayman GT4, 2000 Cobra R
@matthewr87 Thanks for the reply. Here are some pics of tires. I just don't know whether to run these, and wear them out for 2 days, or put a brand new set on now? Makes more sense to me to run these and wear them out, but I'm not sure how worn these are. Again, 5,000 miles of light street and highway driving.

IMG_2369.jpeg
IMG_2370.jpeg
IMG_2373.jpeg

Sponsored

Yorkshire_OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I'd run them on the track to wear them out but keep an eye on them during the day to make sure they are not wearing odd or faster than you think. even near the end of the life these should still be pretty good, obviously not as sticky as fresh boots but better than most tyres out there.
I'm not sure if the rubber compound changes on there when you get down to the wear indicators. I have had tyres that absolutely went to a harder compound when they were almost done so you didn't suddenly find yourself exposing cords and risking a blowout.

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
What days? If Oct 15/16, I’ll see you there.

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Those tires have plenty of meat on them, the only caveat, as mentioned, is the expected weather. As long as dry and over 40*, I'd think they're good. OEM pads are also quite good even for very aggressive track use on street tires. I agree that you should flush the brake fluid - I use Motul RBF600.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Tires have plenty of life left. You should be good to go. Have fun!

Sponsored

COBRAFREAK1996

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
This is a great thread OP! I've been wondering the same for my '18. Been wanting to get to a track day and just wasn't sure what all I should do to the car prior. It's stock and would be my first time on a course. Mostly drag raced off and on for the last 25 years but always wanted to do autocross/road course.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Change your oil, i runs amsoil 5w50 in my gt350 race car
if below 50*F DO NOT run the sc2’s.
id recommend brake fluid flush with 600/660*F non srf. Use motul or i cant remember what fancy brand i use
make sure u have a track alignment. You will wear the outer edge a lot unless you have more than 3.0 degrees camber

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
This is a great thread OP! I've been wondering the same for my '18. Been wanting to get to a track day and just wasn't sure what all I should do to the car prior. It's stock and would be my first time on a course. Mostly drag raced off and on for the last 25 years but always wanted to do autocross/road course.
CF, Check out the FAQs, should be helpful: https://drivenasa.com/hpde/

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
OK, Stock brake fluid is fine(I have beat the crap out of the car) . I would be more inclined to change it due to time. I use the stock fluid for a long while and the fluid and the pads work great. Tires look good but get some negative camber in the car
Sponsored