Sponsored

2019+ GT350 ride height and rake

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
All I can go by is my Mk1 Mod1 eyeball, but the rake on the 2019 non-R (completely OEM) seems different than the 2015-2018. Appears that the rear is lower and front is higher (or unchanged) resulting in less rake. If so, it could be a result of the suspension tuning for the 2019+. Anybody know for sure if the rake changed? Very well could be that my Mk1 Mod1 eyeball needs re-tuning.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
All I can go by is my Mk1 Mod1 eyeball, but the rake on the 2019 non-R (completely OEM) seems different than the 2015-2018. Appears that the rear is lower and front is higher (or unchanged) resulting in less rake. If so, it could be a result of the suspension tuning for the 2019+. Anybody know for sure if the rake changed? Very well could be that my Mk1 Mod1 eyeball needs re-tuning.
I'd love to be able to help you but I didn't notice this at all and I don't have access to either car. It would be interesting if a few forum members could post measurements so we could compare.

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'd love to be able to help you but I didn't notice this at all and I don't have access to either car. It would be interesting if a few forum members could post measurements so we could compare.
Thanks. I swapped out some time ago, but no longer have access to my old 16, especially under the given conditions. May have to wait until things pass and guys back home start parking next to each other at Cars and Coffee like events again. Otherwise, will have it checked out at the dealer--also when things pass.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Aren't the springs slightly softer in the rear, slightly stiffer in the front? Might make sense if they are the same in every other way that the rake would change like you described.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Slightly softer out back and firmer up front on 2019+ no R.
That I've noted for sure. But my non-calibrated eye tells me there's a ride height and profile differences as well.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I'll go measure in the garage if a pre-19 non-R owner wants to also do so.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Aren't the springs slightly softer in the rear, slightly stiffer in the front? Might make sense if they are the same in every other way that the rake would change like you described.
I would think that you would be able to reduce height in the front if those springs are stiffer and that you might want to raise the rear slightly if those are softer. Assuming the goal of the springs is to mostly keep the car from bottoming out. But who knows, my best guess is that the changes if any are for aerodynamic reasons rather than optimizing suspension travel.

Having the front a little higher and rear a little lower transfers a little weight towards the rear of the car.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
This methodology might not be the best, let me know if you want me to measure elsewhere.

With both of these measuring points I was able to see the same point on the left and right sides of the car at the same time, so I could line them up and look at the tape very easily. Front was measured at rearmost and lowest point of front splitter (measured just in front of wheel well). Rear was measured at the frontmost and lowest point of rear plastic trim piece.

measure.jpg

Front pass 3-13/16"
Front driv 4-1/16"

Rear pass 6-3/8"
Rear driv 6-1/2"

Avg front 3-15/16"
Avg rear 6-7/16"

Sponsored

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I would think that you would be able to reduce height in the front if those springs are stiffer and that you might want to raise the rear slightly if those are softer. Assuming the goal of the springs is to mostly keep the car from bottoming out. But who knows, my best guess is that the changes if any are for aerodynamic reasons rather than optimizing suspension travel.

Having the front a little higher and rear a little lower transfers a little weight towards the rear of the car.
Agreed, it seems to me they would most likely do that to compensate. But no idea if they shortened the front and lengthened the rear or changed anything else.

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
This methodology might not be the best, let me know if you want me to measure elsewhere.

With both of these measuring points I was able to see the same point on the left and right sides of the car at the same time, so I could line them up and look at the tape very easily. Front was measured at rearmost and lowest point of front splitter (measured just in front of wheel well). Rear was measured at the frontmost and lowest point of rear plastic trim piece.

measure.jpg

Front pass 3-13/16"
Front driv 4-1/16"

Rear pass 6-3/8"
Rear driv 6-1/2"

Avg front 3-15/16"
Avg rear 6-7/16"
Wow! Thanks for this. I have over 5 up front. Something's definitely off, and it's not my calibrated eyeball.

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
Have you checked to make sure you don't have the shipping blocks still installed up front?

fpGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Dodge Viper RT10, 09 Mercedes AMG C63, 18 Shelby GT350
A better measurement would be from the from rail to the ground. The fuel level, wheel size, tire size, and air pressure in tires will change all of your ride heights. The spring rate on the 2018 GT350 non R is 194 lb/in front and 914 lb/in rear. Spring rates on 2018 R is 240 front and the same 914 rear. When I do the same measurements you did from the bottom of the side-splitter to the ground on my 2018 non R, I get 6 inches front and 7 inches rear, same on both left and right sides. I have the OEM 19" wheels with OEM Pilot Super Sport tires 295/35/19 and 305/35/19. Air pressures at 32 PSI, full tank of gas.
Sponsored