cojm3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaison
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hi,

I'm new to this forum so apologies if there is a thread already open for this. I recently bought a 2019 EcoBoost 2.3 in the UK and I've have it for a couple weeks. Lovely drive and it sounds brilliant for a 2.3.

Unfortunately I've noticed some things and I"m taking it into Ford for a checkup, but I thought i'd post some details on here to see if anyone else has experienced something similar to get ahead of the game. Any help/tips are appreciated.

-When driving slowly and or driving over small bumps I hear a rattle noise and it seems to be under the car. Has anyone experienced this or recommend any areas to check? I think the rattle is also there when driving normally, but not so obvious probably because of the noise of the car in general.

-While driving, the dashboard electric display suddenly blanked out completely for a few seconds and then came back. This also happened when I recently started the car. Could this be something to do with any software updates on the car that may be required, or anyone experiences something similar?

-I was sitting in the car with the ignition off for about 30-40 mins with my phone plugged in via usb. When I went to start the car, the car wouldn't start. Displays started going all fuzzy and flicking and then few times after trying to start, nothing would come on. Battery had died and I had to call out roadside assistance to jump start the car. It was quite surprising to see the car battery drain despite the car having a good run couple days prior. I'm wondering if there is a power leak somewhere using devices in the car. Nothing else was connected. I haven't used the USB much since, and so far the car has started ok, however I did experience the dash blackout since then when starting the car. It's as if the car sensors were not working i.e. it thought I had no fuel in the car before the black out happened.

I'm experiencing the black out at random times. No patterns emerging yet.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to hearing from you.
Jais
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Hi,

I'm new to this forum so apologies if there is a thread already open for this. I recently bought a 2019 EcoBoost 2.3 in the UK and I've have it for a couple weeks. Lovely drive and it sounds brilliant for a 2.3.

Unfortunately I've noticed some things and I"m taking it into Ford for a checkup, but I thought i'd post some details on here to see if anyone else has experienced something similar to get ahead of the game. Any help/tips are appreciated.

-When driving slowly and or driving over small bumps I hear a rattle noise and it seems to be under the car. Has anyone experienced this or recommend any areas to check? I think the rattle is also there when driving normally, but not so obvious probably because of the noise of the car in general.

-While driving, the dashboard electric display suddenly blanked out completely for a few seconds and then came back. This also happened when I recently started the car. Could this be something to do with any software updates on the car that may be required, or anyone experiences something similar?

-I was sitting in the car with the ignition off for about 30-40 mins with my phone plugged in via usb. When I went to start the car, the car wouldn't start. Displays started going all fuzzy and flicking and then few times after trying to start, nothing would come on. Battery had died and I had to call out roadside assistance to jump start the car. It was quite surprising to see the car battery drain despite the car having a good run couple days prior. I'm wondering if there is a power leak somewhere using devices in the car. Nothing else was connected. I haven't used the USB much since, and so far the car has started ok, however I did experience the dash blackout since then when starting the car. It's as if the car sensors were not working i.e. it thought I had no fuel in the car before the black out happened.

Jais
There have been problems with 2018 cars and the digital dash but as far as I am aware the 2019 cars are OK. I would get the battery checked first as there shouldn't be a problem after 40 minutes charging a phone. You may have an earthing fault as well - check the battery connections are tight ??

Either way get it back to the dealer you bought it from for them to fix. Where in the UK are you ?

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Welcome to the Forum!
I`ll add in my thoughts:

Did you buy the car new or used?

1. The Noises
It`s well-known that these mustangs suffer from all kinds of little rattles and squeaks, especially in the interior. How long have you been experiencing the issue? Drive it for a bit and see if it goes away. I also had a few random squeaks when new that I no longer hear.

2. Digital Instrument Cluster
I assume this is what you mean when you say "electric display." The momentary blackout you experience has also been noted by a few other users, myself included. Very, very rarely, you'll be driving along, and it'll black out for a few seconds. It's disconcerting, but other than that, there don't seem to be problems associated with it. This is part of the problem with these newer cars in general, with all the electronics. The OEM can never get all the bugs out of these electronics. (In the early 2018 cars with the digital dash, there was a recall on those units, due to permanent blacking out, causing the vehicle to not start, but this has been a non-issue with the 2019-2020 from what I've seen.)

3. Battery Drain Issue
Previous post mentioned good items to check, like loose battery connections and grounding issues.
It is entirely possible that you have a bad battery from factory, because it has been known that the Ford OEM factory batteries in these cars can be subpar. If a new battery doesn't fix the issue, you could have some intermittent parasitic drain, that would need to be looked at. But a battery should be the first area to look at, and quick look at the health of the charging system (despite the car being new, don't want to assume anything) Of course, this is something the dealer should be doing, since the car is under warranty.

Keep us updated, and good luck!

OP
OP

cojm3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaison
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
There have been problems with 2018 cars and the digital dash but as far as I am aware the 2019 cars are OK. I would get the battery checked first as there shouldn't be a problem after 40 minutes charging a phone. You may have an earthing fault as well - check the battery connections are tight ??

Either way get it back to the dealer you bought it from for them to fix. Where in the UK are you ?
Thanks for coming back. Good to know that the 2019's seem ok. I suspect it may just need a software update by the dealer since the car had been on the forecourt for a few months. The battery was originally deal, and it got swapped out with another Mustang battery which was on the forecourt, so it's possible that the battery is on it's way or cannot hold much charge. I'll take your advice on getting the connections checked again and if there are any earthing faults. I'm based in Milton Keynes.

Will update on here once I've had the car looked at. Thanks again

Sponsored

OP
OP

cojm3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaison
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Welcome to the Forum!
I`ll add in my thoughts:

Did you buy the car new or used?

1. The Noises
It`s well-known that these mustangs suffer from all kinds of little rattles and squeaks, especially in the interior. How long have you been experiencing the issue? Drive it for a bit and see if it goes away. I also had a few random squeaks when new that I no longer hear.

2. Digital Instrument Cluster
I assume this is what you mean when you say "electric display." The momentary blackout you experience has also been noted by a few other users, myself included. Very, very rarely, you'll be driving along, and it'll black out for a few seconds. It's disconcerting, but other than that, there don't seem to be problems associated with it. This is part of the problem with these newer cars in general, with all the electronics. The OEM can never get all the bugs out of these electronics. (In the early 2018 cars with the digital dash, there was a recall on those units, due to permanent blacking out, causing the vehicle to not start, but this has been a non-issue with the 2019-2020 from what I've seen.)

3. Battery Drain Issue
Previous post mentioned good items to check, like loose battery connections and grounding issues.
It is entirely possible that you have a bad battery from factory, because it has been known that the Ford OEM factory batteries in these cars can be subpar. If a new battery doesn't fix the issue, you could have some intermittent parasitic drain, that would need to be looked at. But a battery should be the first area to look at, and quick look at the health of the charging system (despite the car being new, don't want to assume anything) Of course, this is something the dealer should be doing, since the car is under warranty.

Keep us updated, and good luck!
Hey Eric,

1.I've experienced the issue for a couple weeks. Yeah I'm still running in the car so maybe it will go away, but will still raise it with the dealer when I take it in this week.
2.Yes the DIC. I'm hoping it's not in the 2019+, maybe there is some software update that is needed.
3.Thanks. They claimed the battery was fully checked when they put a replacement in (original one was dead since it had been sitting on the forecourt). The replacement was a battery from another mustang that was on the forecourt, so it's possible that is also on it's way out. I'll see what the dealer has to say.

Thanks for your help

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for coming back. Good to know that the 2019's seem ok. I suspect it may just need a software update by the dealer since the car had been on the forecourt for a few months. The battery was originally deal, and it got swapped out with another Mustang battery which was on the forecourt, so it's possible that the battery is on it's way or cannot hold much charge. I'll take your advice on getting the connections checked again and if there are any earthing faults. I'm based in Milton Keynes.

Will update on here once I've had the car looked at. Thanks again
Batteries hate being left flat for any length of time. I suspect the 'replacement' is not much better than the original.

Unless they find a loose connection (which is easy enough to check yourself) I would ask for a new battery. They are not expensive on the Mustang as it doesn't use fancy stop / start (AGM) batteries.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Batteries hate being left flat for any length of time. I suspect the 'replacement' is not much better than the original.

Unless they find a loose connection (which is easy enough to check yourself) I would ask for a new battery. They are not expensive on the Mustang as it doesn't use fancy stop / start (AGM) batteries.
Great points here too, Greg, about the AGM batteries.

Question, both you and Jaison are from the UK, and can probably speak more accurately to the following, but I notice anecdotally that in the UK / Europe, Mustangs seem to sit a long time in inventory, before being eventually sold. Hence the suffering from dead batteries and such. In North America, Mustangs don't seem to sit for too long, depending on the trim and packages.
Do Mustangs seem to sit for a long time in inventory over there?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Great points here too, Greg, about the AGM batteries.

Question, both you and Jaison are from the UK, and can probably speak more accurately to the following, but I notice anecdotally that in the UK / Europe, Mustangs seem to sit a long time in inventory, before being eventually sold. Hence the suffering from dead batteries and such. In North America, Mustangs don't seem to sit for too long, depending on the trim and packages.
Do Mustangs seem to sit for a long time in inventory over there?
Bit of a niche halo car in the UK so limited numbers are sold. Having said that a friend of mine owns a Ford dealership and he sells any Mustangs he gets very quickly so I suppose it depends on the price as always !

The current car is the first to be sold in RHD here (which I suspect some still don't realise) and the first to shake off the primitive suspension which means it is fun to drive in the UK. Old Mustangs are a liability in the UK !

Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Bit of a niche halo car in the UK so limited numbers are sold. Having said that a friend of mine owns a Ford dealership and he sells any Mustangs he gets very quickly so I suppose it depends on the price as always !

The current car is the first to be sold in RHD here (which I suspect some still don't realise) and the first to shake off the primitive suspension which means it is fun to drive in the UK. Old Mustangs are a liability in the UK !
I see, interesting!
I agree with the suspension part, I am more a handling person myself, so when this generation came out, coupled with the styling and overall pkg, it was much more appealing.

OP
OP

cojm3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaison
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I see, interesting!
I agree with the suspension part, I am more a handling person myself, so when this generation came out, coupled with the styling and overall pkg, it was much more appealing.
Yeah as Greg mentioned they are a bit of a niche here, but getting more popular as they realise they come in Right hand drive. the 6gen shape is also probably a lot more appealing. I guess the pandemic hasn't helped here, which has caused dealers to close or only accept emergencies etc. Sales were low as a result and cars probably sitting dormant for a while until recently. Mine was probably a victim of this. e.g. it went on the forecourt late Jan 2020, and didn't sell until Aug most likely due to the pandemic. I think in terms of selling, they do tend to go quick. The one I was looking at got sold within a week of me test driving it. Thankfully they had one more which is what I settled for, but I do know that the dealer were trying to sell the previous one first before selling their last one. Mileage and spec were identical, but the one I went for was originally more expensive until it was the last one left in that spec range which then altered the selling price to a better deal for me in the end.

The car has gone into the dealer today for the checks. They said they will keep it over night for a triple charge on the battery and then see how that runs. It's possible the battery was never charged up fully. They will also take a look at the rattle and display dash black out. Will put updates on here once I get an outcome.

OP
OP

cojm3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaison
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hi,

Jais

Thank you for all your tips/advice. Update from the dealer:
-Battery has been Trickle charged over night. So far so good. Would recommend this to anyone having battery issues after buying a new car that has been sitting around for a while.
-Rattling is down to a missing caliper clip to hold the brake pads in place. As to how this wasn't picked up during the point check when the car was delivered I have no idea! Ford have agreed to order the part and fit.
-DIC - Speedo blacking out is still happening randomly. Dealer has agreed to run a diagnostic/inspection and order parts accordingly if needed.

OP
OP

cojm3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaison
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Just an update from my side. I managed to get the dealer to replace everything mentioned under warranty including the IPC LED Cluster. I've had no issues since. If you get any of these issues, make sure you persist with your dealer to get instruments replaced.

Thanks for everyones help.
Sponsored