2019 + California + Supetcharger

Chs51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
i expect to hear crickets on this question but thought I’d give it a try anyway. Has anyone out who’s registering their car in CALIFORNIA ( meaning, installed by either a dealer or ASE mechanic anywhere - like LFP in Ohio but registering in CA), had a Roush, Whipple or Edlebrock supercharger installed?
I just got my ‘19 VIN yesterday from LFP and am worried that those SC companies I mentioned won’t have their CA EO# number by Feb 2019 (when my car arrives). All advise except “install it yourself” appreciated.
Sponsored

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
This is from the Roush website.

NOT APPROVED FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA OR STATES THAT REQUIRE CALIFORNIA E.O.#

Sponsored

mmacoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 s550
vortech is carb legal now

Edelbrock Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011, 2015 & 2018 Mustangs
Just spoke DIRECTLY with Edlebrock today. Their SC IS NOT yet approved for the 19 Mustang in California.
I apologize for the miscommunication from our technical department, but this is not the case. I have informed them of the mistake.

2018 model year Mustangs are covered under EO D-215-99.

2018 AND 2019 Mustangs are covered under EO D-215-104.

The way CARB processes these request from us triggered a new number but both are valid.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Another thing to keep in mind is emission testing if you require it. If you find a manufacturer that has an EO#, which there are a few listed above, it means you must run with their supplied tune. I don’t think you will find many people that are/were satisfied with any of the supplied tunes that come with the various superchargers. If you do find anyone, they probably haven’t had it installed long enough to see there are behavior problems with supplied tunes. Also, so far I haven’t seen any end users actually passing an emissions check with one of these supplied tunes even though the manufacturers will tell you it will
pass. Most guys take advantage of the situation that you won’t have to smog new cars for the first few years, so they just run them till that day comes and then sell the car or revert back to stock, some have a “smog guy” so they get to keep on driving. Most go a custom tune to make the cars run/drive better. This can also be a tricky area as you won’t find many (if any) reports of someone passing an OBDII smog test with a custom tune. Just a heads up since most guys on here don’t have to worry about any of this stuff, but some guys do.

Last edited:

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Another thing to keep in mind is emission testing if you require it. If you find a manufacturer that has an EO#, which there are a few listed above, it means you must run with their supplied tune. I don’t think you will find many people that are/were satisfied with any of the supplied tunes that come with the various superchargers. If you do find anyone, they probably haven’t had it installed long enough to see there are behavior problems with supplied tunes. Also, so far I haven’t seen any end users actually passing an emissions check with one of these supplied tunes even though the manufacturers will tell you it will
pass. Most guys take advantage of the situation that you won’t have to smog new cars for the first few years, so they just run them till that day comes and then sell the car or revert back to stock, some have a “smog guy” so they get to keep on driving. Most go a custom tune to make the cars run/drive better. This can also be a tricky area as you won’t find many (if any) reports of someone passing an OBDII smog test with a custom tune. Just a heads up since most guys on here don’t have to worry about any of this stuff, but some guys do.
As long as everything in the tune is set up correctly, which it would on a EO one since they assume you will keep the stock headers and cats, then you will pass all the OBD monitor tests like you would if you were stock. I have had zero issues passing all the monitors with Paxton and Whipple builds. The only you would fail is if you were to do long tube tubes on a EO tune and expect to still pass

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
As long as everything in the tune is set up correctly, which it would on a EO one since they assume you will keep the stock headers and cats, then you will pass all the OBD monitor tests like you would if you were stock. I have had zero issues passing all the monitors with Paxton and Whipple builds. The only you would fail is if you were to do long tube tubes on a EO tune and expect to still pass
I know that’s how it’s supposed to work, just have seen different results. So you personally have passed with an S550? What years were the S550s? Couldn’t have been your ‘18 as that’s too new to need a smog check. Were you completely happy with both the Paxton and Whipple provided tunes and didn’t feel the need to go to a custom tune?

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
I know that’s how it’s supposed to work, just have seen different results. So you personally have passed with an S550? What years were the S550s? Couldn’t have been your ‘18 as that’s too new to need a smog check. Were you completely happy with both the Paxton and Whipple provided tunes and didn’t feel the need to go to a custom tune?
My personal car is a 2018, and it's getting a Edelbrock 2.6 thrown at it as soon as it arrives. How ever the Paxton and Whipple builds were customer cars that had 15-17 coyotes, no issues passing. Also, no one is ever completely happy, you never install a blower or turbo's and think, now im done...more like, what's next...and for people like, CARB and SMOG mean nothing
Sponsored