Sponsored

2018 P2119 Code on Whipple

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
So - I've been trying to chase down a recurring P2119 code in my 2018 GT with a Whipple with the 132mm throttle body. It almost always happens when laucnhing and shifting hard to second gear and hitting the gas, it'll lose power and then fall on it's face and go into limp mode and throw code P2119. It can be cleared by parking it for a couple minutes with the engine off or reflashing the tune. I've logged it and sent it to Lund and he says it's mechanical and not tune related. He's tuned a bunch of my cars and I trust him.

I contacted Will @ Whipple and he got me a replacement throttle body shipped out and it did not resolve the issue. Will then sent me a throttle body extension cable to swap out and I did that. I took it to the track and on the second pass it went into limp mode and threw P2119. I've sent them the in-car video of the pass and the log of the pass. I'd really like to get this fixed - so while I'm working with Whipple, has anyone else in a 18-19 car been getting a P2119 code and been able to resolve it? I saw only posts from Scott z about his experience with it. Newer models are always a trial and error thing with the frustrations that accompany some of the issues. I saw the Ford post someone linked about customer satisfaction but my car was build in 2/18 I believe so it "shouldn't have been" affected by that September build window.

Here's what it looks like when it happens - help me make this go away if you'd had any success with this issue.

Thanks all!

Sponsored

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Bad harness, poor harness connection? My harness extension, due to parts moving and poor initial routing by me, ended up rubbing against a pulley. It didn't break any of the wires, all the insulators were still intact, but my theory was it heated them up enough from friction that it messed with the digital signal and ended up one day throwing a slew of throttle body errors and misfiring. Fixing the harness routing, replacing the harness wrap, and resetting the computer (reflashed tune) made everything go away.

RUBY RED 550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT
Try this ! Then drive it for 15 min normally, then give it the beans it will most likely show a steering light on the dash for warning , when that happens put the fuse back in while still running. See if this remedies the issue CHEERS
189F12F0-9496-4704-9660-2276F4B6F33C.png

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Try this ! Then drive it for 15 min normally, then give it the beans it will most likely show a steering light on the dash for warning , when that happens put the fuse back in while still running. See if this remedies the issue CHEERS
189F12F0-9496-4704-9660-2276F4B6F33C.png
What fuse is this for and what does it do? Were you having the same problem and this resolved it? Thanks for the idea - toss me a little more info if you have time. Thanks!

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Bad harness, poor harness connection? My harness extension, due to parts moving and poor initial routing by me, ended up rubbing against a pulley. It didn't break any of the wires, all the insulators were still intact, but my theory was it heated them up enough from friction that it messed with the digital signal and ended up one day throwing a slew of throttle body errors and misfiring. Fixing the harness routing, replacing the harness wrap, and resetting the computer (reflashed tune) made everything go away.
Gotcha. I replaced that wiring harness extension already though, and the old one didn't appear to be damaged (but I did it anyway). Everything was routed awya from everyting else - there's really nowhere for anything to rub or get damaged. Drives fine all the time, except if I want to launch it and then it often throws a P2119 code without any other codes. Is there a physical return spring in the 18+ throttle body motors? I'm just at a loss.

Sponsored

RUBY RED 550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT
What fuse is this for and what does it do? Were you having the same problem and this resolved it? Thanks for the idea - toss me a little more info if you have time. Thanks!
Yes I had a similar problem, and it did fix it , it’s the fuse you pull for dyno tuning , can’t remember the number tho

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Yes I had a similar problem, and it did fix it , it’s the fuse you pull for dyno tuning , can’t remember the number tho
Ok I'll give that a shot too. Thanks!

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Fuse 62 pulled disables stability/traction and abs

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
How would that fix a throttlebody performance issue?

Sponsored
OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I'm not sure but i wonder if that's the same effect as unplugging the dyno plug that's on the drivers fender where the air box used to be? I think that's where my intercooler fuse tap is on mine too but I'm out of town with family.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Its probably not a tb wiring issue.With some tunes their is still quite a bit of torque management and traction on.Even with advance trac off with a hard launch the torque management can close the throttle for a spit second making guys think they have a tb or tune issue.My manual car did this until i had my tuner tune enough of the torque management out.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Its probably not a tb wiring issue.With some tunes their is still quite a bit of torque management and traction on.Even with advance trac off with a hard launch the torque management can close the throttle for a spit second making guys think they have a tb or tune issue.My manual car did this until i had my tuner tune enough of the torque management out.
True that just turning advanced track off inside the car will not completely disable it. Pulling fuse 62 or disconnecting the pigtail connector above the airbox will.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
That’s a good explanation

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I definitely don't want to lose abs or stability control all the time - but if doing it once would fix it I'd do it. I keep thinking tune, but Lund is saying it's mechanical. Working with Will at whipple to see what he thinks of the throttle body I sent back to him but if it was that part, it seems like it wouldn't still be doing it with the new one installed.

I feel like something in the torque management table is the culprit - why would it only do it under wot in low gears is what I think. But I'm at the mercy of what they're telling me. I just hope to get it resolved.
Sponsored