Sponsored

2018 gt with older style blower?

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grey gt500 pp, recaros, nav
I own a 2018 gt auto and a 2014 gt500. I bought the gt500 with a Kenne Bell 3.2 lc with the kb throttle body and 5 inch intake setup. Now I'm planning to trade in the gt500 but want to pull the blower and either sell it or find a way to put it on the 2018.

I know it won't be easy or straightforward Bolt on. The tb won't work. And then the lower manifold will need to accept the di under it.

So my thoughts are use a roush lower kit from a 2018 and up. Then bolt the blower onto that. It should be fairly similar to 2017 and down. I'm sure I'll need a custom pulley and a bunch of other small stuff. Also might need a cowl hood. But it can't be that much taller than the roush head unit.

Also yes I know I could sell it and buy a blower that just blots on. But this will save me thousands by using parts I have.

Any input on how it would fit and work is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
I think another challenge would be the snout length, you’d have to switch the front snout drive to the proper length for the new application, as well as the lower intake and likely the head unit to lower intake mount. Having the head unit will definitely save you some cost, but you’ll have to Frankenstein it. May end up being cheaper / easier to sell your kit and reinvest into the right kit, as KB may not sell all the individual things you would need to buy piecemeal to make it work. Also, unless you’re a fairly well setup fabricator I’m not certain anything from a roush kit lower would work out of the box.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Brother that KB is a traditional blower and the 2018s use inverted blowers due the the HPFS in The Valley of the motor. So give this up now. Sell the KB on its own to a GT500 owner and use that money to buy a PROPER kit.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Brother that KB is a traditional blower and the 2018s use inverted blowers due the the HPFS in The Valley of the motor. So give this up now. Sell the KB on its own to a GT500 owner and use that money to buy a PROPER kit.
Exactly. You'll spend more time, money and headache trying to make it work than you would if you just took the haircut on resale of the blower and bought a new proper system made for your car.

If it's any aspirin for you, the new inverted blowers are much better, with significantly improved intercooling.

OP
OP
GTFORMULA

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grey gt500 pp, recaros, nav
So I guess the new roush blowers are junk and the intercooler isn't good enough? Since it is the same as the older style too Vmp also doesn't work either. Those gen 3rs must have really high intake Temps too.

Also assuming the snout length is different on gt500 Vmp gen 3 or coyote gen 3. Or just the pulley is different?

I know it wouldn't be a straightforward bolt on. But I love the whine and power band.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So I guess the new roush blowers are junk and the intercooler isn't good enough? Since it is the same as the older style too Vmp also doesn't work either. Those gen 3rs must have really high intake Temps too.

Also assuming the snout length is different on gt500 Vmp gen 3 or coyote gen 3. Or just the pulley is different?

I know it wouldn't be a straightforward bolt on. But I love the whine and power band.
None of them are junk, but if you're going to spend the money on a new blower setup, get the new flipped arrangement.

It's like the difference between 4G and 3G. is 3G junk? Does it work? Sure, but 4G is better.

The newer blowers allow for a noticeably larger intercooler. That doesn't translate all that much on a single dyno pull, but doing back to back to back hard runs, it's a huge improvement when you start bumping up against the limit for IAT's where it starts backing out timing.

cchvyd28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium

The new Roush blowers are garbage, you are correct. The new Roush is not the same as the old VMP. VMP went with a different design for their 18+ blowers with a much better intercooler. The 11-17 Roush and VMP blowers are similar, not the 18+.

You cant use the lower from an 18+ kit with the blower from a an 11-17 because the lower on the 18+ IS the blower. You would be bolting a supercharger to a supercharger with no intercooler. Snout length or pulley size has nothing to do with it.
Sponsored