Sponsored

2018 GT Whipple and still waiting

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My Whipple came with Denso plugs which out of the box come gapped at .032. Guess what I measured the gap at? .032..... so the tech that installed my blower didn’t gap them to the .028 as instructed. Hopefully this stops my high rpm misfires.
That's weird, mine came .028 out of the box.
Sponsored

Darkhelmet22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White 5.0
That's weird, mine came .028 out of the box.
Denso lists them at .032 out of the box which I verified with feeler gauges. I would have thought .032 would be fine on 9psi but... whipple wants .028 so hopefully my misfire issue goes away.

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Anyone got a 4” pulley they want to get rid of? Looking to pulley up for just normal driving.

Sponsored

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Still chasing dreaded false knock. I've been all around the engine and exhaust probably 5+ times by now trying to find anything that could be causing it. Looking back through data logs it's always 1,400-1,800 RPM it seems in normal driving around. Also happens randomly when I go from a dead stop to gas and then dies off or goes away if I briefly let off the gas.

Was trying to get it sorted out before I load my lund tune and start data logging, but besides completely removing my cat back and putting the stock back on, I feel like I've exhausted most options. I also ran a tank with at 100 octane with boostane and still had the knock... so pretty sure it's false knock from some sort of resonance/engine movement.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Just went through similar with my GT350/Gen 3 whipple .
I was doing some logs on the dyno with the latest whipple tune and new software .
Got down to a 3.5 pulley and logs are showing 2-3+ knock (15* total timing ) with race gas so was not making any power
With the 3.625 puley /race gas and zero knock(knocked on some pulls) it made high 700’s
This is with zero added timing/17* total.
... I thought it could be cats so I deleted them but no luck .
Next I tried a different brand of 104 octane race gas and then C16 but still the same results .
Last effort was swapping the NGK plugs for the colder denso but no luck .
I gave up and pulled the car of the dyno as I already planned to switch to Lund /E85 .
Already have the return fuel system /ID13000’s but while waiting for the install I got some street logs .
ZERO knock on the street even after adding 0.8* with the guardian and it pulls like a freight train .
Timing curve looks good with steady 19* after 5000 rpm
I am guessing false knock was from the dyno .

Going to see what it runs with the whipple tune and race gas before I swap to E85 /Lund .
Might even try adding another 0.8

Darkhelmet22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White 5.0
I was getting knock during WOT but haven’t got to try different gas yet. I can say my car is slow as fuck with the whipple tune, car doesn’t feel much faster than stock. I can’t wait to switch to Lund.

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Just went through similar with my GT350/Gen 3 whipple .
I was doing some logs on the dyno with the latest whipple tune and new software .
Got down to a 3.5 pulley and logs are showing 2-3+ knock (15* total timing ) with race gas so was not making any power
With the 3.625 puley /race gas and zero knock(knocked on some pulls) it made high 700’s
This is with zero added timing/17* total.
... I thought it could be cats so I deleted them but no luck .
Next I tried a different brand of 104 octane race gas and then C16 but still the same results .
Last effort was swapping the NGK plugs for the colder denso but no luck .
I gave up and pulled the car of the dyno as I already planned to switch to Lund /E85 .
Already have the return fuel system /ID13000’s but while waiting for the install I got some street logs .
ZERO knock on the street even after adding 0.8* with the guardian and it pulls like a freight train .
Timing curve looks good with steady 19* after 5000 rpm
I am guessing false knock was from the dyno .

Going to see what it runs with the whipple tune and race gas before I swap to E85 /Lund .
Might even try adding another 0.8
Hmmm that’s interesting. I don’t get it at WOT fortunately.

Jon suggested if I can’t find the knock source to just try his tune and see what happens. I street tuned this same car NA with them and had no issues dialing it in. Even looks like I had a little knock at the same rpm range in one log I sent them back then too.

Problem is I’ll probably have to do a remote dyno session for WOT tuning because I don’t have anywhere safe to do WOT pulls on the roads here with that much power. So, I’m hoping I don’t have knock pop up on the dyno that’s not present on the street.

100+ mph in an urban area is asking for it and I’d have to drive pretty far to find a suitable road that’s secluded enough.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Hmmm that’s interesting. I don’t get it at WOT fortunately.

Jon suggested if I can’t find the knock source to just try his tune and see what happens. I street tuned this same car NA with them and had no issues dialing it in. Even looks like I had a little knock at the same rpm range in one log I sent them back then too.

Problem is I’ll probably have to do a remote dyno session for WOT tuning because I don’t have anywhere safe to do WOT pulls on the roads here with that much power. So, I’m hoping I don’t have knock pop up on the dyno that’s not present on the street.

100+ mph in an urban area is asking for it and I’d have to drive pretty far to find a suitable road that’s secluded enough.
I hear you . It’s tough getting the logs on street that’s why I had it in the Dyno .

To get street logs I have to do a lot of reconnaissance of the area first but it’s still a risk.

In 4th gear @ 6500 I am already up to 110 mph in the GT 350.
I was not sure it would hook in 3rd but it did and was able to make a pull up to 8100 rpm @110 mph !

The knock on the dyno would come on at low rpm and decrease with rpm but the timing would never recover .I thought the colder plugs would help as it seemed it got worse on subsequent pulls assuming the plugs were too hot .

Sponsored

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ordered 2019 ruby red pp1 A10 with whipple stage 2
Still chasing dreaded false knock. I've been all around the engine and exhaust probably 5+ times by now trying to find anything that could be causing it. Looking back through data logs it's always 1,400-1,800 RPM it seems in normal driving around. Also happens randomly when I go from a dead stop to gas and then dies off or goes away if I briefly let off the gas.

Was trying to get it sorted out before I load my lund tune and start data logging, but besides completely removing my cat back and putting the stock back on, I feel like I've exhausted most options. I also ran a tank with at 100 octane with boostane and still had the knock... so pretty sure it's false knock from some sort of resonance/engine movement.
I'm no expert but I wonder if it piston slap/rattle. I mean that is the right around the same RPM that alot of people have had the rattle. It could be very slight but enough so the knock sensors go off. Just a thought doesn't seem far fetched tho. Hope you find it.

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'm no expert but I wonder if it piston slap/rattle. I mean that is the right around the same RPM that alot of people have had the rattle. It could be very slight but enough so the knock sensors go off. Just a thought doesn't seem far fetched tho. Hope you find it.
I was wondering the same thing.

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was wondering the same thing.
The more I think about it, I bet that's what it is. My car has it very very little/quite. To the point where a normal person that just drives cars A to B wouldn't even notice it.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I was getting knock during WOT but haven’t got to try different gas yet. I can say my car is slow as fuck with the whipple tune, car doesn’t feel much faster than stock. I can’t wait to switch to Lund.
Wow,doesn't feel much faster than stock?Do you have any install issues because my Whipple Stage 2Tune is spot on and awesome.Just Saying

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a gen5. If so check the plug that goes in to the IMRC. It needs to be plugged in the the longer one on the passage side. I plugged mine in the wrong side car was slow felt stock. Plugged in the right side thing rips nothing slow about it now.
Sponsored