Sponsored

2018 GT vs 2016 Camaro - Track Times Compared w/Video

sr1200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Vert
I'm guessing you guys haven't actually come across an SS to challenge. Me with my 2017 with the PP2 beat an SS. All I gotta say.
Sponsored

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
There is a big difference between installing a catch can that requires regular maintenance and CAN damage an engine if not regularly emptied....and a transmission cooler that (when installed properly) will require no maintenance and will increase the transmission life. If you can't see that, I feel sorry for you.
That's fine. When there's a failure and they blame the cooler (which isn't covered), let me know how that works out for you.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
That's fine. When there's a failure and they blame the cooler (which isn't covered), let me know how that works out for you.
I fully understand, it can be hard for you to see through the maro mullet sometimes.

Again, I’m sorry you can’t see the difference between a transmission cooler and an oil separator. I feel sorry for those (such as yourself) that bow down to internet lore and would therefore lack the cojones to add an item to your vehicle that would be impossible for any manufacture to prove caused failure.

Seriously though, try to find any instance of Ford denying a warranty on a transmission from an aftermarket cooler. Or better yet, call any Ford dealership and ask them…if they install the Ford racing transmission cooler (as recommended from the owner’s manual), if it would void the powertrain warranty.

OKC S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black PP GT
Just wondering - those who track their 2015 - 17 that have the performance pack 1 are they experiencing over heating? I frequent the Road Course, Track, Autocross, HPDE forum and only see it mentioned once or twice if that. So is it an issue because there appears to be people tracking the hell out of their cars.
I have never had an issue. 20 track days over the past two years all in Texas or Oklahoma

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Why would a mullet be hard to see through? I think you're missing the point of a mullet.
I should have known, the mullets always come in pairs.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
I think people are getting way ahead of themselves. When you think about it, most people who buy these cars won't be tracking them anyway. Of the ones that do track them, will they be able to push the car hard enough that it'll need the coolers anyway? I think Ford did that so that people, the ones who do track hard, won't be out there overheating their cars and starting up lawsuits. I don't think these cars actually will overheat. But Ford is saying "hey if you go out in 105 degree temps in the middle of Summer and push your car to the rev limiter for half an hour and it overheats then don't come crying to us". So if a bunch of people do that, then they can say that everyone was already informed about it and it isn't their problem. I think that is a good approach. But the key is that each individual out there should see if they do need the cooling before going out and buying stuff. If they do then it becomes an issue of voiding the warranty. And I can see both sides of that argument.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think people are getting way ahead of themselves. When you think about it, most people who buy these cars won't be tracking them anyway. Of the ones that do track them, will they be able to push the car hard enough that it'll need the coolers anyway? I think Ford did that so that people, the ones who do track hard, won't be out there overheating their cars and starting up lawsuits. I don't think these cars actually will overheat. But Ford is saying "hey if you go out in 105 degree temps in the middle of Summer and push your car to the rev limiter for half an hour and it overheats then don't come crying to us". So if a bunch of people do that, then they can say that everyone was already informed about it and it isn't their problem. I think that is a good approach. But the key is that each individual out there should see if they do need the cooling before going out and buying stuff. If they do then it becomes an issue of voiding the warranty. And I can see both sides of that argument.
That's a great argument and it's exactly what I thought when I chose to buy my GT350 tech package car. I'm a relative novice at the road course. I only intend to drive around the track a few times a year, so I will never become an expert. I live in the northern tier of states. I plan to avoid warmer days. The track I go to has 20 minute sessions.

I can't fault you at all for thinking that, because it's exactly what I thought. Then I went to the track on a day where it started in the low 50s and the high temperature was 69F. The car went into limp mode within 6 minutes on the first session in the morning.

That's why I have posted warnings to anyone considering buying the PP2 who might go to the track. Just be ready to add coolers. That's all.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
That's a great argument and it's exactly what I thought when I chose to buy my GT350 tech package car. I'm a relative novice at the road course. I only intend to drive around the track a few times a year, so I will never become an expert. I live in the northern tier of states. I plan to avoid warmer days. The track I go to has 20 minute sessions.

I can't fault you at all for thinking that, because it's exactly what I thought. Then I went to the track on a day where it started in the low 50s and the high temperature was 69F. The car went into limp mode within 6 minutes on the first session in the morning.

That's why I have posted warnings to anyone considering buying the PP2 who might go to the track. Just be ready to add coolers. That's all.
Yes but perhaps Ford learned a few things for the refresh and applied them. Maybe the same thing won't happen with the 18s. But then again who's to say it will or won't. I think GM took a note from what happened with the Z06 and designed the ZL1 to not overheat. I would give Ford enough credit that they would do the same thing on a redesign. Unless they just made a car that can be pushed harder than the 15-17s and told people "you're on your own with the overheating, buy a cooler or something..."

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Yes but perhaps Ford learned a few things for the refresh and applied them. Maybe the same thing won't happen with the 18s. But then again who's to say it will or won't. I think GM took a note from what happened with the Z06 and designed the ZL1 to not overheat. I would give Ford enough credit that they would do the same thing on a redesign. Unless they just made a car that can be pushed harder than the 15-17s and told people "you're on your own with the overheating, buy a cooler or something..."
And the GT350 has a different transmission with a much higher redline...so we really don't know if the MT-82 will have the same issues as the tremec.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Almost any high powered car pushed hard at the track has a chance to overheat without coolers. Some have sensors that trigger limp mode, some don’t and rely on the owner to be aware and change fluids.

My 350z never hit limp mode, but I have had to manage shift points at times. The 370z can have issues. My friend has a gen5 Camaro 1LE that required more oil cooling than was provided stock. The C7Z issues are well known, but I’ve also heard of some having issues with the Z51.

I hope the updated Mustang doesn’t have issues, but it has a lot of power and I think the 2018 now has temp sensors that were not present before, so limp mode may be a possibility when it wasn’t previously. Hopefully it won’t be an issue.

-T

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would like to think that Ford learned some things or that they are going to change what they do, but I don't know for a fact that either has happened. So my recommendation would be to wait and see rather than buy one of the first PP2 cars intending to track it. I could have visited the track quite a few times with the money I spent last year on replacing my transmission.

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
I fully understand, it can be hard for you to see through the maro mullet sometimes.

Again, I’m sorry you can’t see the difference between a transmission cooler and an oil separator. I feel sorry for those (such as yourself) that bow down to internet lore and would therefore lack the cojones to add an item to your vehicle that would be impossible for any manufacture to prove caused failure.

Seriously though, try to find any instance of Ford denying a warranty on a transmission from an aftermarket cooler. Or better yet, call any Ford dealership and ask them…if they install the Ford racing transmission cooler (as recommended from the owner’s manual), if it would void the powertrain warranty.
This isn't internet lore. This is real life experience due to issues on cars in the past. GM isn't the only company that has denied warranty claims over non stock parts.

We can beat this up more and you can keep talking about ball sacks if you want because that's somehow related to car parts. But, it's a waste of time and rather off topic So this will be my last post about it. Also, just for good measure my Camaro has plenty of non-stock parts on it. You know what they say about assuming...

I'm not trying to argue here. I'm just speaking from experience that car companies will try to wiggle out of warranty work any way they can no matter who the manufacturer is.

I also stated that Ford may be more lenient here since it's a Ford part. I was merely pointing out that some people think you can do whatever you want to a car and the warranty can't be denied. However I am not saying you specifically think that. It was a generalization. So fine. It may not involve a cooler. That's fine. I don't really care what someone does to their own vehicle. It's not my money.

As far as mullets go. The party is in the back. Not the front. I'll just leave this here...
oNBnR9M.png
Sponsored